Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Aug 2014, 21:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Please Evaluate My profile (R1 or R2 advice)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V35
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.6
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 32

Please Evaluate My profile (R1 or R2 advice) [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2011, 00:07
Hello Jennifer/Accepted.com,

The outlook of my profile is as follows:

Name: Mayank
Nationality: Indian
Age at Matriculation: 26

Academics:
-> CGPA: 9/10, Dual Degree (Bachelors + Masters) in Mechanical Engineering from a reputed Indian Institute (IIT Bombay)
-> GMAT Attempt One on October 2010: 720 (Q51; V35; AWA 5.5)
GMAT Attempt Two on 24th August, 2011: 760 (Q50; V44; AWA 6.0)

Work Experience
3 years as on matriculation in pharmaceutical manufacturing firm (India's Top Pharma Company)

Roles Played:
-> Trainee Engineer (4 months): Did a team project on reducing changeover time between two packaging processes.

-> Role 1 (2 months): Lead a team of 3 technicians, trained them on a new machine, managed them and the machine during FDA audit of the plant in 2009. The audit was successful

-> Role 2: (18 months - present) Manufacturing Planner, varied and increasing roles and responsibilities.

Extra-Curricular:
-> Co-founded an NGO that provides technical support to other NGOs (webpages, logos etc.), spreads online social awareness, links volunteers and NGOs, encourages CSR activities.

-> Basic understanding of two foreign languages (A1 level spanish and german)

-> Average other involvements in college (sports, social/cultural events etc.)

-> Hobbies: reading fiction, bodybuilding for last 2 years (should I mention these or just skip?)

AIM
I have few entrepreneurial ideas that I want to explore. I want to start a bodybuilding/health supplement firm, should I mention my entrepreneurial goals in detail or only refer to them in my applications? I do not want to be hasty in starting a firm right out of B school. In fact i want an MBA to make an informed decision when to go for it.

Advice Needed: I will be applying this year for 2012 admissions. I want to focus on entrepreneurship/general management, and will be applying to US B schools. Please advice which B schools I should target and in which rounds.

As I have just finished my GMAT (24th Aug) and am currently researching B schools, I realize that very little time is left for R1 deadlines. So I have thought of applying to 2-3 B schools in R1 and to 2-3 in R2. Any advice will be helpful!

cheers
Mayank

cheers
Mayank
My GMAT Journey: 720 + dare = 760

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 13 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Please Evaluate My profile (R1 or R2 advice) [#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2011, 11:09
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
mayansd wrote:
Hello Jennifer/Accepted.com,

The outlook of my profile is as follows:

Name: Mayank
Nationality: Indian
Age at Matriculation: 26

Academics:
-> CGPA: 9/10, Dual Degree (Bachelors + Masters) in Mechanical Engineering from a reputed Indian Institute (IIT Bombay)
-> GMAT Attempt One on October 2010: 720 (Q51; V35; AWA 5.5)
GMAT Attempt Two on 24th August, 2011: 760 (Q50; V44; AWA 6.0)

Work Experience
3 years as on matriculation in pharmaceutical manufacturing firm (India's Top Pharma Company)

Roles Played:
-> Trainee Engineer (4 months): Did a team project on reducing changeover time between two packaging processes.

-> Role 1 (2 months): Lead a team of 3 technicians, trained them on a new machine, managed them and the machine during FDA audit of the plant in 2009. The audit was successful

-> Role 2: (18 months - present) Manufacturing Planner, varied and increasing roles and responsibilities.

Extra-Curricular:
-> Co-founded an NGO that provides technical support to other NGOs (webpages, logos etc.), spreads online social awareness, links volunteers and NGOs, encourages CSR activities.

-> Basic understanding of two foreign languages (A1 level spanish and german)

-> Average other involvements in college (sports, social/cultural events etc.)

-> Hobbies: reading fiction, bodybuilding for last 2 years (should I mention these or just skip?)

AIM
I have few entrepreneurial ideas that I want to explore. I want to start a bodybuilding/health supplement firm, should I mention my entrepreneurial goals in detail or only refer to them in my applications? I do not want to be hasty in starting a firm right out of B school. In fact i want an MBA to make an informed decision when to go for it.

Advice Needed: I will be applying this year for 2012 admissions. I want to focus on entrepreneurship/general management, and will be applying to US B schools. Please advice which B schools I should target and in which rounds.

As I have just finished my GMAT (24th Aug) and am currently researching B schools, I realize that very little time is left for R1 deadlines. So I have thought of applying to 2-3 B schools in R1 and to 2-3 in R2. Any advice will be helpful!

cheers
Mayank

Hi, Mayank. Your stats are all in the right places: you have a solid GMAT, great GPA, and you are the right age for the MBA. I like the upward trend in responsibility in your employment as well. I recommend you stay with a general management role with a pharma company immediately after graduation to gain some more experience and then in the long-term you can talk about your goal of stepping out on your entrepreneurial ambitions.
I would recommend you apply to a range of programs instead of staying focused solely on the top few. Duke has pretty strong recruiting in pharma/biotech (11% of the class joins those industries after graduation), as does Kellogg (9%) and UCLA (9%). The other top programs typically land in the range of 5%-7% of the class.
Hobbies are important to who you are and what you bring to the campus environment, so you definitely need to mention them in the application form. On the other hand, most of the time they are not important or relevant enough to become essay material. In your case, much of your future goal sounds like it stems from your personal commitment to health and fitness, so it may actually come up. Yes, by all means, share your passion for these interests and how they have shaped who you are.

Regards,
Jennifer Bloom, CPRW
jbloom@accepted.com
310-815-9553

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V35
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.6
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 32

Re: Please Evaluate My profile (R1 or R2 advice) [#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2011, 17:04
thanks jennifer for your response.

I will do more research on Duke/Kellogg/UCLA. I will also hone my post mba career goals.

thanks again for your insights :)!

cheers
Mayank
My GMAT Journey: 720 + dare = 760

Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Please Evaluate My profile (R1 or R2 advice) [#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2011, 23:25
Expert's post
mayansd wrote:
thanks jennifer for your response.

I will do more research on Duke/Kellogg/UCLA. I will also hone my post mba career goals.

thanks again for your insights :)!

Great! Glad to be of help!

Regards,
Jennifer Bloom, CPRW
jbloom@accepted.com
310-815-9553

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog