Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Sep 2014, 06:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Please Evaluate My profile (R1 or R2 advice)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V35
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.6
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 32

Please Evaluate My profile (R1 or R2 advice) [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2011, 20:56
Hello Precision Essay,

The outlook of my profile is as follows:

Name: Mayank
Nationality: Indian
Age at Matriculation: 26

Academics:
-> CGPA: 9/10, Dual Degree (Bachelors + Masters) in Mechanical Engineering from a reputed Indian Institute (IIT Bombay)
-> GMAT Attempt One on October 2010: 720 (Q51; V35; AWA 5.5)
GMAT Attempt Two on 24th August, 2011: 760 (Q50; V44; AWA 6.0)

Work Experience
3 years as on matriculation in pharmaceutical manufacturing firm (India's Top Pharma Company)

Roles Played:
-> Trainee Engineer (4 months): Did a team project on reducing changeover time between two packaging processes.

-> Role 1 (2 months): Lead a team of 3 technicians, trained them on a new machine, managed them and the machine during FDA audit of the plant in 2009. The audit was successful

-> Role 2: (18 months - present) Manufacturing Planner, varied and increasing roles and responsibilities.

Extra-Curricular:
-> Co-founded an NGO that provides technical support to other NGOs (webpages, logos etc.), spreads online social awareness, links volunteers and NGOs, encourages CSR activities.

-> Basic understanding of two foreign languages (A1 level spanish and german)

-> Average other involvements in college (sports, social/cultural events etc.)

-> Hobbies: reading fiction, bodybuilding for last 2 years (should I mention these or just skip?)

AIM
I have few entrepreneurial ideas that I want to explore. I want to start a bodybuilding/health supplement firm, should I mention my entrepreneurial goals in detail or only refer to them in my applications? I do not want to be hasty in starting a firm right out of B school and want an MBA to prepare myself and make an informed decision when to go for it.

Advice Needed: I will be applying this year for 2012 admissions. I want to focus on entrepreneurship/general management, and will be applying to US B schools. Please advice which B schools I should target and in which rounds.

As I have just finished my GMAT (24th Aug) and am currently researching B schools, I realize that very little time is left for R1 deadlines. So I have thought of applying to 2-3 B schools in R1 and to 2-3 in R2. Any advice will be helpful!

cheers
Mayank
My GMAT Journey: 720 + dare = 760

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 538 [1] , given: 29

Re: Please Evaluate My profile (R1 or R2 advice) [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2011, 22:59
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hey Mayank,
Very nice GMAT there! I think you can pat yourself on the back. Very awesome stuff. And overall you have a very good profile, peppered with leadership, founding an NGO, and your hobbies. Now as far as your goals go, you are right in that maybe starting out a health supplement firm the day you leave your MBA is a bit hasty, but since you have a Pharma background it would make sense for you to aim for a job in a very large vitamin/pharma company that would help you reach your ultimate goal of a startup (so for example, VP of Business Development). Other than that, R1 is close, and your plan seems fine. Get as many as you can done. There are some schools (NYU for example) that have relatively late deadlines so you might be able to squeeze in one or two more than you thought in R1.

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V35
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.6
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 32

Re: Please Evaluate My profile (R1 or R2 advice) [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2011, 23:59
Thank you for your encouraging words Jon/Raj. As you pointed out, yes NYU Stern has a late R1 deadline, and also does Sloan. Will try to stagger my applications as much as possible in R1. Also as pointed out by you I will refine my post MBA career goals. [in fact what you mentioned, working in business development of a pharma firm before going for a startup makes total sense :) ]

cheers
Mayank
My GMAT Journey: 720 + dare = 760

Expert Post
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 538 [0], given: 29

Re: Please Evaluate My profile (R1 or R2 advice) [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2011, 22:17
Expert's post
Very good! Best of luck to ya, and if you need anything else, you know where to find us :)

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!