Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Aug 2014, 11:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Please Evaluate My profile (R1 or R2 advice)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V35
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.6
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 32

Please Evaluate My profile (R1 or R2 advice) [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2011, 20:57
Hello Stacy,

The outlook of my profile is as follows:

Name: Mayank
Nationality: Indian
Age at Matriculation: 26

Academics:
-> CGPA: 9/10, Dual Degree (Bachelors + Masters) in Mechanical Engineering from a reputed Indian Institute (IIT Bombay)
-> GMAT Attempt One on October 2010: 720 (Q51; V35; AWA 5.5)
GMAT Attempt Two on 24th August, 2011: 760 (Q50; V44; AWA 6.0)

Work Experience
3 years as on matriculation in pharmaceutical manufacturing firm (India's Top Pharma Company)

Roles Played:
-> Trainee Engineer (4 months): Did a team project on reducing changeover time between two packaging processes.

-> Role 1 (2 months): Lead a team of 3 technicians, trained them on a new machine, managed them and the machine during FDA audit of the plant in 2009. The audit was successful

-> Role 2: (18 months - present) Manufacturing Planner, varied and increasing roles and responsibilities.

Extra-Curricular:
-> Co-founded an NGO that provides technical support to other NGOs (webpages, logos etc.), spreads online social awareness, links volunteers and NGOs, encourages CSR activities.

-> Basic understanding of two foreign languages (A1 level spanish and german)

-> Average other involvements in college (sports, social/cultural events etc.)

-> Hobbies: reading fiction, bodybuilding for last 2 years (should I mention these or just skip?)

AIM
I have few entrepreneurial ideas that I want to explore. I want to start a bodybuilding/health supplement firm, should I mention my entrepreneurial goals in detail or only refer to them in my applications? I do not want to be hasty in starting a firm right out of B school and want an MBA to prepare myself and make an informed decision when to go for it.

Advice Needed: I will be applying this year for 2012 admissions. I want to focus on entrepreneurship/general management, and will be applying to US B schools. Please advice which B schools I should target and in which rounds.

As I have just finished my GMAT (24th Aug) and am currently researching B schools, I realize that very little time is left for R1 deadlines. So I have thought of applying to 2-3 B schools in R1 and to 2-3 in R2. Any advice will be helpful!

cheers
Mayank
My GMAT Journey: 720 + dare = 760

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Stacy Blackman Representative
Followers: 24

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Please Evaluate My profile (R1 or R2 advice) [#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2011, 11:19
Expert's post
Hi Mayank,

Thanks for the post. Regarding which round you should apply to, you should apply when you feel your application is strongest. You should not be concerned about applying to Round 1 over Round 2 (the only exception to this is you should avoid applying to the last round).

For recommended business schools, is there a particular location you are interested in the US?

Best,

Conrad and the Stacy Blackman Team

Interested in a free 30 minute consultation with the Stacy Blackman Team? Sign up here: http://stacyblackman.com/contact

Stacy Blackman | Stacy Blackman Consulting Inc | http://www.StacyBlackman.com | +1 323.934.3936
MBA blogger, US News and Author, The MBA Application Roadmap

Manager
Manager

Re: Please Evaluate My profile (R1 or R2 advice) [#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2011, 16:59
Hello Stacy/Conrard,

No I do not have a preference for location regarding US B schools.

cheers
Mayank

Manager
Manager

Re: Please Evaluate My profile (R1 or R2 advice) [#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2011, 22:26
StacyBlackman wrote:
Hi Mayank,

For recommended business schools, is there a particular location you are interested in the US?

Hello Stacy/Conrad,

On giving more thought to your question I realized that I haven't given much thought to it before. Does location play a "major" role in post MBA recruitment? I found online that most pharmaceutical firms are located on the east coast of the US. But other than that, I do not have a geographical preference regarding climate etc.

Also one more doubt that I have: I want to have post MBA experience in business development in pharma. But on further exploring, I found that I can either try to get into business development of an existing pharma firm, or into a consultancy that focuses on business development for other firms (some of my friends are currently doing this). Will mentioning both these options create ambiguity in my "why mba" question?

cheers
Mayank