Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 15 Sep 2014, 21:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Please evaluate my profile. Thank you!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 17

Please evaluate my profile. Thank you! [#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2013, 11:23
Hi,
I plan to apply by R2 for Sept 2014 start. I have shortlisted a few schools based on my interest in Marketing - preferably in the consumer goods sector, or consulting. I'd truly appreciate it if you could evaluate my profile and suggest whether or not the schools I am aiming for are within reach. Secondly, could you please also recommend any other schools I should consider, given my interests and profile.

Target Schools: NYU Stern, Wharton, UCLA
Post MBA interest: Marketing; more specifically product development/management in the consumer goods sector. Second preference is consulting with an emphasis on marketing.

Demographics:
Canadian, 28, Female

Academic:
Bachelor of Commerce, Marketing with Co-op from University of Calgary (2008) - 3.54 GPA, Dean's list, and a few scholarships
Gmat: 620 (Q68%, V 55%, 4.5 AWA) I intend to retake it.

Work experience:
I am a market researcher with an international and varied work experience.
- Marketing & Communications Coordinator (1.5 years) in 2 environmental organizations in Calgary, Canada
- Followed by 3.5 years as Digital Consumer Researcher in a digital marketing agency with US and Global clients - in Calgary, Canada
- Currently Research Project Manager (5 months now) in a specialized consultancy - In UK

Gap explanation from 03/2013 - 07/2013:
Took 6 months off for several reasons - volunteer and learn Spanish in Central America, travel extensively in Europe and relocate from Canada to UK.

Extra Curricular:
I have focused on helping the less fortunate and event planning via a number of volunteer activities:
• Helped Spanish-speaking Panamanian kids at a homeless kids shelter (Hogar Trisker, Panama, 2013)
• Led a blood donation drive for colleagues (Critical Mass, 2012)
• Supported the homeless (Mustard Seed, 2012-2013)
• Managed a team to organize a Christmas party for over 200 residents (Residential condominium board member 2011)
• Organized and delivered exam prep events twice for over 150 students (VP Academic of Alliance in Marketing, U of C 2005-2006)
• Executed three major fundraising events, two cultural shows and a dinner/dance gala (VP Marketing of a charitable organization 2005-2006)

Languages:
Fluent in written/spoken English and Hindi. Beginner in written/spoken Spanish and French.

Thank you for your evaluation.

Ashika
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 0

Re: Please evaluate my profile. Thank you! [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2013, 13:07
Expert's post
Hello Ashika,

Your target schools are excellent for your goals. But your prospective candidacy all depends on a strong GMAT – I believe you’d need to earn around 700 to be a viable applicant to those target programs.

If you fall short of 700 in the GMAT, say in the 650-680 range, some programs to take a look at would be UNC’s Kenan-Flagler, Notre-Dame’s Mendoza, and Boston University (there are different levels of competitiveness among these programs).

Cindy Tokumitsu
Senior Advisor, Accepted
310-815-9553
Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog