Let me know what you think of my profile. Thanks for taking the time out.
* Total of 8.5 years of workex in the IT domain, almost all in software development.
* Male, Indian, 30, Married, 1 yr daughter
* B.E. from NITK Surathkal, India (ECE) with 82% (I Class with Distinction, Top 10 of Class of 2003)
* Certified Project Management Professional (PMP) in 2010
* 9 month Distance Learning from Indian Institute of Management (IIM) Calcutta (Certificate Program in Management of Software Development) in 2008
* GMAT: 760 (Q50, V42) in 1st attempt; AWA not received yet.
* Worked part-time as under-grad R&D scholar in an R&D lab for Synopsys during my Bachelor's
* Started Full time in Oracle Corporation developing their HRMS ERP Product for North America region esp Mexico region (3 yrs)
* Then 6 months Oracle ERP consulting
* Then 4.5 years as Technical PM for Prod Dev in a small firm setting up the entire practice - incl training, mentoring, support, consulting, Customer Site trainings/demos, (even looking out for new office space!!). Played several hats!
* Finally, last 6 months as IT PM for Business Transformation in HR function of India's biggest conglomerate. Worked closely with SAP AG (ERP consultants) & Booz (Process Consultants) to re-implement SAP HR as per best practices.
* Visits have been short
- US: a month at Oracle HQ + 2 weeks business visit
- UK: 2 client visits - each 2 weeks
* Clients worked with belong to: US, UK, Netherlands, Australia
* School/ College Days: Quizzing, Church Choir, Philately, Numismatics (Collecting Coins), Volunteer for College Festival,
* Post School: Volunteer at Oracle for social causes, Support for orphanages, etc.
MBA Fields of Interest
* Software Product Management, Software Product Strategy, Mgmt Consulting in Tech Domain
* INSEAD, Sloan, Stanford, Haas, ISB,.... (still trying to see best fit for fields of interest)
1. I've just completed my GMAT and can only target round 3 deadlines in most schools. Considering that I'm going to work in the US starting next month for a year at least, would applying for 2013 Jan/Fall add more value to my profile with added intl workex?
2. In case I apply in round 3 and don't make it, will that affect my prospects in 2013?
I do think tat the international assignment and experience will expand your profile nicely, but I also caution you that you are aging out of the full-time MBA programs in the US. One thing that you might want to consider is a part-time or weekend program while you are in the US. The average ages in these programs is higher (and closer to your own).
Applying third round this year and having it not work out does not affect next year's applications. Your application will be reviewed with a fresh eye to determine whether you fit in and will contribute to the program. There is no automatic disapproval because you are a re-applicant. However, again, next year you will be even further above the average age in most full-time programs, so it is going to be increasingly difficult for you to prove that you will fit in well to the class.
Jennifer Bloom, CPRW
Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog