Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 04:30 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 04:30

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Texas
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [1]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: General Management
Schools:NYU Stern '11
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [1]
Given Kudos: 9
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
 Q48  V39
Send PM
Current Student
Send PM
Re: Please evaluate my profile..Thanks! [#permalink]
solaris1 wrote:
Strong profile, icon.

I think on paper you will be competitive at all your target schools. I would spend a little time trying to think of leadership stories from your professional life. You seem to have good, strong work experience, so I know there's leadership stories in there somewhere. That would really make you stand out. I'd also try to be a little bit more specific in your career goals, what would you want to do for small or midsized firms as a consultant?

Why did you pick Chicago and Kellogg specifically from among the Ultra Elite?

Thanks for the quick reply solaris!

Originally posted by icon on 20 Aug 2008, 17:52.
Last edited by icon on 02 Sep 2008, 15:04, edited 2 times in total.
Current Student
Send PM
jb32 wrote:
icon wrote:
3. One aspect of attending b-school that I am very excited about is the opportunity to experience a new part of the country and a different lifestyle as I have lived my whole life in Houston.

I'm guessing Rice University perhaps? And I would agree, it is a great school. I think you're profile is very strong for the schools you are looking at. Nothing on paper says you won't be competitive at those schools. Now its just about crafting strong stories and execution solid applications. You really need to be able to connect the dots on how your past experience translates to an MBA to get you to your short-term goal and ultimately your long-term goal. None of those connections can be weak or your goals essay won't make sense. Let me know if I can ever help since we are both here in Houston.

Great to hear from a fellow Houstonian! Typo on my part. I should have said that I have lived my whole life in TEXAS (although the vast majority has been in Houston).

+1 to both solaris and jb for taking the time to reply to my post. Thanks guys!

Originally posted by icon on 20 Aug 2008, 22:15.
Last edited by icon on 02 Sep 2008, 15:05, edited 1 time in total.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
You should be competitive at Kellogg and GSB if you present yourself well, Kellogg's essays probably give you a better chance to do that. McCombs should be a lock as long as you put a little effort in you application.

Your goals make a lot of sense, and I think that it will actually be a pretty big positive since the smaller consulting firms go to the big schools but they arent sought after like McK/Bain/BCG. They will know you will be able to easily reach that goal and it does make sense with your long term career goal which is a good thing.

You have 4 years experience so I think you should forget talking about any internships you had unless one had something extremely unique about it. Your GPA and GMAT are good enough for the top schools, and will be a plus at your safeties. You have experience that schools will like and enough EC's so that section wont look blank. Overall you stand a solid chance at your top 2, though its harder to tell this year with the increase in applications over the last few years.

Your list is a good one since it seems location is a big factor. One thing to remember is that most schols are very flexible about what you can take.. The only required classes are going to be the traditional business ones. Even places like GSB with no real core require you to take classes in certain areas, you just have more options. So you will be able to complete a finance major but take many other classes, at Kellogg it is common to have 3 majors.
Current Student
Send PM
Thank you for the insightful reply river. +1 to you sir.

Originally posted by icon on 21 Aug 2008, 08:16.
Last edited by icon on 02 Sep 2008, 15:07, edited 1 time in total.
Current Student
Send PM
Thanks to everyone who shared their input!
GMAT Club Bot