Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Apr 2014, 21:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

please evaluate my profile, thanks!(will reapply for 2014)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V39
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 1

please evaluate my profile, thanks!(will reapply for 2014) [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2013, 22:15
I applied for 4 schools (Kellogg, Ross, Fuqua, Darden) for 2013 fall, all in R2, only got 1 interview from Ross, and eventually all 4 dinged. I am trying to find out why I failed, to get prepared for 2014fall reapply. Was the positioning wrong in the first place? Please help me evaluate, thanks in advance.

Edu b/g: a 2nd tier university in China (it ranks top in engineering-focus schools but my major was business administration with a specialty in marketing so it was not that strong) - lots of extracurricular activities as student leader
GMAT:740 (AWA6, IR4) + TOEFL iBT: 102
Working history: total 6yrs of exp, with 1) 3yrs in the world's leading shipping company doing indirect procurement for Greater China (focus on IT) and a dual role as the leader of staff committee for the company(served for company employees benefits and welfares), then 2) 2.5yrs in a Singaporean retained executive search firm as consultant (focus on IT sales and marketing), served top companies for senior positions.
Post-MBA career goal: marketing in high-tech (so it's a career switch)
International exp only comes from the many co-projects with foreign colleagues in both companies. No overseas working/study history but not a problem on both multicultural environment or communication.

The possible disadvantages I can think of are, first, I switched my career once already, so the 6yrs of my exp lacks a focus; 2nd, my 2nd firm is not a famous company; 3rd, I have 1.5yrs of gap year (becoz of some family issues). I applied MBA during the gap year; 4th, my career goal is not convincing? 5th, positioning too high maybe?

How can I make my application more competitive? Is my positioning not clear? Appreciate any advice!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 456 [0], given: 28

GMAT Tests User
Re: please evaluate my profile, thanks!(will reapply for 2014) [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2013, 00:19
Expert's post
Hey there,

Sorry to hear that things did not work out for you this year, but keep on persevering and you WILL make it in! (Especially with such an awesome GMAT).

So first of all let me say that if you want a REAL evaluation which will be deep precise and give you steps you take action on, I would need to see your applications and read your essays, and if you are interested you may sign up for a Ding analysis, which you can find here: http://admissionado.com/mba/packages/a- ... -analysis/

But let me also answer you based on what you have written here.
The most obvious things that possibly could have harmed your application (besides having essays and other materials that didn't reach their full potential) is 1. your lack of a job - not having a job when you apply can make it very difficult to get in, even if you have good reasons. 2. low TOEFL

For the first item, if you apply this year with a good job you will have much much better chances. And for the TOEFL, given the amazing score you have on the GMAT I am sure you can score 8 points higher on the TOEFL (this is much less critical than the first item).

Other than that, I don't think the career switch should reflect negatively in any way on your application as long as it makes sense, or as long as you explain it.

Let me know if you have any further questions,
Hope to hear from you!

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado | The Team | Get a Free Consultation | 2013-2014 Essay Analyses

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V39
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 1

Re: please evaluate my profile, thanks!(will reapply for 2014) [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2013, 01:09
Really appreciate your advice Jon! and yes, my current focus is to get a good job and a higher TOEFL score. Then will seek for professional advice after that. Thanks!

JonAdmissionado wrote:
Hey there,

Sorry to hear that things did not work out for you this year, but keep on persevering and you WILL make it in! (Especially with such an awesome GMAT).

So first of all let me say that if you want a REAL evaluation which will be deep precise and give you steps you take action on, I would need to see your applications and read your essays, and if you are interested you may sign up for a Ding analysis, which you can find here

But let me also answer you based on what you have written here.
The most obvious things that possibly could have harmed your application (besides having essays and other materials that didn't reach their full potential) is 1. your lack of a job - not having a job when you apply can make it very difficult to get in, even if you have good reasons. 2. low TOEFL

For the first item, if you apply this year with a good job you will have much much better chances. And for the TOEFL, given the amazing score you have on the GMAT I am sure you can score 8 points higher on the TOEFL (this is much less critical than the first item).

Other than that, I don't think the career switch should reflect negatively in any way on your application as long as it makes sense, or as long as you explain it.

Let me know if you have any further questions,
Hope to hear from you!
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 456 [0], given: 28

GMAT Tests User
Re: please evaluate my profile, thanks!(will reapply for 2014) [#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2013, 02:34
Expert's post
Very good. Good luck with your job search, and I hope to hear from you.

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado | The Team | Get a Free Consultation | 2013-2014 Essay Analyses

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!