Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 05:17 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 05:17

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 335 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Please evaluate my profile....urgently needed. Thanks!! [#permalink]
salmanqsm4 wrote:
Hello. Below is my brief profile and please suggest me what b-schools are good for me and if I have any chance at any of the preferred schools for MBA.

Sex:Male
Nationality: Pakistan

Qualifications: HDA, BSc, ACCA, CFA, FRM, PRM

Achievements:
1) Three year bachelor's degree awarded in First Class Honours by Oxford Brookes University, one of the leading universities in UK. GPA is equivalent to 3.6(As per iGPA calculator of World Education Services)

2) 750 GMAT score

3) Simpson Scholarship awarded by the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants. Out of 6000 applicants, 20 were short listed and among the 5 winners, I was one. It was awarded on the basis of brilliantly written essays and strong academic history.

4) Was awarded Certificates of Merit for obtaining highest score in the world in two of the ACCA exams.

5) Was awarded Candidate of the Year award by Professional Risk Management International Associations for obtaining highest score in PRM exams in the world.

6) Completed Higher Diploma in Accounting in shortest possible time in my school.

7)Devoted to Continuing Professional Education and have several Coursera Verified Certificates with distinction.

Extra-Curricular Activities:

1) Volunteered with Community Rural Development Program which is a non profit organization and was founded by my brother. We worked for developing the lifestyle of the people in the troubled tribal areas of Pakistan and established more than 10 mobile schools and put more than 2000 children in schools. Mobile schools were established on temporary basis until we raise enough money to build a proper permanent building for school.

2) Have played cricket for my college and represented my school on international level.

Work Experience:

3 years of work experience in Investment Advisory at Consulting Dept of Deloitte Pakistan and 1 year of Human Capital Consulting Experience at PwC, Saudi Arabia.

Post MBA Goals.
Be a Finance leader and also work for the betterment of the Pakistani troubled community.

Preferred Schools.
Harvard
Stanford
Wharton
Kellogg
Darden
Ross
Haas
Carnell
UCLA
McCombs
Stern &
Columbia

I hope to hear from you.

Kind Regard
I don't see why you won't get into any of the schools you've mentioned, dear. But just do not continue with your "Be a leader in finance"goal in the essays. Because the admissions committee would think that you already have those highly reputable financial certifications and you don't need to be a part of their MBA class because you already have the skills and credentials needed for "being a leader in finance". Focus on your second goal and that is to help the troubled Pakistani society and for that, it is crucial to have leadership skills and only MBA can render that. If you continue with leadership post-MBA goals, you will get noticed by the admissions committee and according to HBS guru, those who are from disadvantaged backgrounds like yours and want to really achieve something and leave a legacy behind, that kind of applicants "get into Harvard all the time". Work hard on your applications, make them shine. And I agree with you that there is no need to to narrow down your list of schools if you have enough time. Just make sure that each essay you write is unique.

Good luck...!
Own Kudos [?]: 335 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
[just a side note that Olivia.... is not affiliated with mbaMission, fyi, thanks!]
Own Kudos [?]: 335 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi again salmanqsm4,

Thank you for the additional information about your profile and scenario.

Certainly we support your applying to the schools that YOU deem most appropriate for YOU... in fact we prefer that rather than you just 'following our suggestions' so to speak.... it should be a more personal decision, and you SHOULD feel passionate about the schools you apply to! Of course we are here to answer questions about schools and provide guidance if needed. The bulk of our admissions consulting time with clients is spent assisting you with feedback on your essays. Generally we start with an in-depth brainstorming session, where we talk through a variety of examples of your accomplishments and past experiences, and often we help you identify key themes about what makes you unique, and how you may want to describe yourself in your essays/applications. It's a great starting point that really helps drive those essays. We brainstorm some for each application, and then work on multiple drafts (as you describe) for each and every essay. It's a great way to have someone provide essay feedback on 1) the overall image you are portraying, 2) your strengths and weaknesses that come across and how you'll likely be remembered, 3) how organized you appear based on your essay structure, 4) your ability to tell a story and come across as someone who they'd love to be a part of their class, and 4) your writing style, clarity, grammar, etc.

As you described it is an in-depth process! By mentioning that you may want to narrow down your list, I was referring to the fact that MOST applicants do not have as much time as you describe, and once they begin find it all takes much longer than they'd thought, so 3-4 is common, sometimes 6-8 max over 2 rounds etc.... if you feel you can begin in Jan for fall apps and spend a lot of time on them all, more power to you! You'd just want to make sure you also don't get 'tired of applications' and find that certain apps/essays eventually become less compelling over time or anything. But a consultant would certainly help with that.

Side note re: work experience, the average accepted student at top schools has 5 years. 4 vs 5, no big difference. 3 years is a little less than average and some schools will just ask you, why NOW vs working more... doesn't mean it's a huge weakness. In any case you'll be beyond that when you apply!

If you are interested in a free 30 minute consult, we offer that at your convenience, it's a chance for more profile feedback or q&a, you can register at https://www.mbamission.com/consult.php if you haven't done that yet. Or if you are ready to sign up, you can enroll online at https://www.mbamission.com/services.php?package=complete.

Please let me know if you have more questions I can assist with at any point in time! And ps-- I support applying to your 'dream school' no matter what if that is where you are most passionate about! And your chances at HBS are not that low! ;) You have a lot going for you in your profile!
Moderator:
1452 posts