Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 09:46 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 09:46

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 87 [3]
Given Kudos: 22
Schools:Terry, Georgia Tech
 Q50  V40
GPA: 7.87
WE 1: Working for Wipro Technologies since April 2010
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 369 [0]
Given Kudos: 151
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Re: Please evaluate my TOEFL essays!!! It's on 11th Dec [#permalink]
Thanks and Kudos!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 117 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
 Q49  V35
Send PM
great tips samidh. +1 to you!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GPA: 4
WE:Consulting (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Dear all! I wrote an essay on the same topic! I have one question, what do you think is the optimal number of words for achieving 30 points?

Some people think, that learning a language in his or her own country is the best way to acquire a new idiom. Others are convinced that learning a new language in the country where it is actually spoken is more effective. Certainly, this issue is a controversial one, but in my opinion a closer examination reveals that learning the language in its original country is more effective due to several reasons. The purpose of this essay is to explain my position and further support it by real life examples.

One reason is that if you learn a language in the country where it is spoken, your teacher is certainly a native speaker. For instance, a native teacher knows many tricks, can better explain the use of certain idioms and has a natural pronounciation compared to a non nativer speaker. Clearly, native teachers offer a great advantage and students are able to acquire a more fluent way of using the language.

Another reason is that students can immediately use their knowledge acquired in school. To illustrate this point, lets take the example of a student experiencing nightlife in the country where he or she studies the language. The student has to use the language in conversations with bar tenders, but also during small talks with local people. Consequently, he or she gets more experience and confidence in speaking the language, but also has the opportunity to enhance his or her vocabulary in day-to-day situations.

In contrary, some people may argue that studying a language in another country is very expensive. These individuals may point to students who might not have sufficient financial assets. However, this is not a real problem. Lots of agancies offer courses including a job in that country. Students study the language every morning and work afterwards for a certain period of time. This even increases the speed of learning the language and gives student with insufficient money the opportunity to finance their trip.

In summary, while there are arguments to be made for both sides, it is clear that there are greater advantages of learning a language in a country where it is actually spoken because of the positive effects of a native teacher and also the learning process during daily situations.

Please feel free to make any suggestions, I will certainly reward you with kudos!
Thanks a lot!
Marcel :)
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Board of Directors
4380 posts