Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 14 Sep 2014, 18:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Please evaluate profile and suggest

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Please evaluate profile and suggest [#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2008, 12:53
All,
I am indian male, 32 years and working as IT development manager. I am looking at either part time programs or executive programs. I am planning to apply only to INSEAD for full time program.

I am looking forward to get into MBA programs that will give me stable launchpad to shift from just IT to strategic management and consulting. Over the years, I've worked in various industries and presently working in Finance related company (financial services other than investment, banks etc.) .

Target Schools
-- Chicago GSB, Kelloggs, Stern , Duke
-- INSEAD (for Full time)
Personal Details:
- Country of Birth : India

Education:
-- Bachelor of engineering (Electornics ) , Regional engineering college in India.
Passed with "First class with distinction"
-- I've taken some training (through my company) on financial concepts, business writing etc.
-- Question : I am already member of PMI and thinking of taking PMP. Would that give more weight to my profile?

GMAT
-- 720 (Q50, V37) AWA - 5

Work Experience:
- I've been working in US in IT Industry for last 8 years. I started working as software engineer with some search firm and continued until 2004 as engineer. I served clients such as Cisco, Sun micro etc. (One question: In employer background, do i have to mention Search firm's name or client's name?)
-- After 2004 joined another company as ERP Analyst.
-- After that joined another company and became Team lead and led two projects.
--Currently working as IT development Manager(for 1 year) and have executed 2 projects as project manager.

During this career run of 8 years, i've gained not only better position but also significant salary increase.

Extracurricular Activities:
- I was member of Engineers adventure club(EAC) during my college years. This club is run by Tata (conglomerate from india) and one has to run for 6 miles and clear exam to get into this.
-- Successfully completed rock climbing, river raftign expeditions.
- I was captain for our college basketball team and was also in ping-pong team.
- During college days, I participated and won competitions in cultural programs, debates , extempores etc.
- Attended entrepreneurial awareness camp.
- Have volunteered to work with Habitat for Humanity here in USA.
- During school years, I won first prize in state level science quiz. Education minister himself awarded me that prize.
- I actively participate in volunteer works and charity events.

I'll appreciate any feedback.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 42

Kudos [?]: 339 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
Re: Please evaluate profile and suggest [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2008, 20:11
Expert's post
mshukla,

Given your age, the extreme competitiveness of your profile, and the fact that you lack unusual strength in your professional and community leadership, I think you're overreaching at Chicago, Kellogg, and INSEAD, regardless of the type of program you apply for. I don't believe you have enough managerial experience to qualify for the top E-MBA programs. You may have a chance at Stern and Duke part-time but I believe they have to be considered as longshots for you.

The PMI and PMP designations would be modest pluses for your application, but not major assets. As for which firm to list as your employer, list the one whose name appears on your paycheck. If you are a consultant assigned to a client in a nonpermanent status, then your employer is the company that placed you at the client.

Hope this helps,

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog