Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Aug 2014, 01:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Please Evaluate Profile of Canadian working professional

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V46
GPA: 3.9
WE: Project Management (Real Estate)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1

Please Evaluate Profile of Canadian working professional [#permalink] New post 12 May 2012, 16:44
Hello mbaMission,

I would greatly appreciate your thoughts on my profile. I am currently considering retaining the services of an admissions consultant and your insight would be very valuable. Here are the particulars:

760 GMAT Q 48 V 46
3.96 GMAT at Canadian university (3rd and 4th year) attended a college prior to that and got a diploma in accounting during 1st and 2nd year - GPA there was more like 3.3-3.4.
Work experience as project coordinator working for a real estate development in Victoria, BC - kind of a unique position that also includes creating information systems and managing customer accounts for a nascent microutility owned by the development.

I have a second contract job where I do research, analysis and the creation of presentation materials for a management consultant (an FCMC) regarding exit strategies for owners of SME's.

Extra-curricular: Worked as strategic advisor, financial agent and social media strategist for a city council election campaign - our candidate got a spot on council against a strong field where all 8 incumbents were running.

Have given marketing and branding lectures (3 hrs. over 3 1 hr. sessions to a group of local entrepreneurs who do not qualify for regular credit but are seeking microloans as part of a community lending program). I intend to do this several more times before matriculating (and because I love doing it, certainly not just as a check box on an MBA application).

I have several other volunteer work kinds of things that I won't go into in detail, the list goes a bit deeper but the aforementioned are I think the most salient extra-curric.

Finally, my GMAT verbal was 99th percentile and I really do believe that I can craft stellar essays - weak essays, at least from the perspective of the craftsmanship of the writing, will not be a problem.

Would appreciate any thoughts on where you think I stand and which schools I should target (I would like to find a good fit for a great experience and an opportunity to transition into management consulting).

A manager of MBA Admissions at one of the schools that I requested my GMAT score be sent to, Richard Ivey, contacted me within days of me finishing writing the exam to set up a phone call, so I do have an indication that that school sees me as high-potential enough to warrant contacting early in the process.

I would be interested in you thoughts about my chances in the US top 10 and how and where to minimize weaknesses.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: Please Evaluate Profile of Canadian working professional [#permalink] New post 15 May 2012, 06:40
Expert's post
Hi, Cduggan,

Thanks for your post. From the information you provided, you should be within the academic range for top 10 programs. Which programs are the right fit for you, will depend on what you need to learn in the program and your other criteria (geography, program, size, etc.). Make sure you think about your priorities and then research the programs to narrow your target list. You mention you want to go into management consulting. You will want to communicate your short and long term career goals related to management consulting. You will also want to demonstrate the skills and experiences you have gained from your experience to date that are transferable to that career path. You don’t mention how long you have been working, but keep in mind most applicants to these programs have 5-6 years of work experience. If you have less, you will want to focus on examples of your maturity and leadership skills. The gap between where you want to go and where you are now will be what you need to learn in the MBA program. You will also want to highlight your community service experience. This is a great way to demonstrate leadership skills and also give the admissions committee a sense of your character.

Good luck,
Susan Kaplan
Senior Consultant
mbaMission
646-485-8844

Blog: http://www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insiders Guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php