Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 11:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Please Evaluate. Thanks in advance.

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Please Evaluate. Thanks in advance. [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2007, 19:05
Hi Paul,

Can you please read my profile and evaluate? I am thinking about applying this Fall. Thanks.

Nationality, Age, Sex: Korean American, 23, M

Education: Temple University, Accounting Major, 3.5 overall, 3.8 major; I don't know if you are familiar with this school, but Temple U. is not the greatest undergrad school in the world. Would this hurt me in anyway?

GMAT: 710 (M-95%, V-83%)

Current Employer: Deloitte & Touche (Big Four Accounting Firm)

Professional Designation: CPA; Passed all four parts of the CPA exam on my first attempt averaging a score of 90.

Awards & Activity: Beta Alpha Psi (Honors Accounting Fraternity) Member, Community Service Award Recipient from Beta Alpha Psi, Deloitte Minority Accounting Scholarship Recipient, Recognition Award Recipient from Deloitte & Touche, AICPA & PICPA Member, Outstanding Performance Award Recipient from PICPA

Work Experience: I will have three years of work experience by the time I start graduate school. I was a Tax Consultant, reaching the level of Consultant II. As a Tax Consultant, I worked on one of the biggest tax clients of the office I am in. I applied and got accepted to an audit rotation, which is always very competitive. During the audit rotation, I was lucky enough to work on the biggest SEC Spin-off ever. After the audit rotation, I transferred from tax to audit permanently. I transferred to audit as a "Second Year" auditor even though I only had limited amount of auditing experience. Even though I will only have 3 years of experience, I was promoted twice (hopefully more) in two different functions. I believe that having a background in both tax & audit gives me a strong foundation in business. What do you think? Also, I obtained a real estate license and made a few deals during the real estate boom.

MBA Schools I will apply to (Concentration in Finance):
- Wharton
- Columbia
- NYU
- Carnegie Mellon

My concerns:
- Am I too young?
- Do I have enough work experience?

What do you think my chances are of getting into those schools mentioned above?

Thanks for your time and help.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager

I forgot to mention this. Sorry. [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2007, 19:54
I forgot to mention this. I took the GMAT three times.

1) 590 (M-58%, V-69%)
2) 640 (M-67%, V-83%)
3) 710 (M-95%, V-83%) - Score mentioned above.

Does this hurt/benefit me in anyway?
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 163 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Please Evaluate. Thanks in advance. [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2007, 12:24
wondee wrote:
Hi Paul,

Can you please read my profile and evaluate? I am thinking about applying this Fall. Thanks.

Nationality, Age, Sex: Korean American, 23, M

Education: Temple University, Accounting Major, 3.5 overall, 3.8 major; I don't know if you are familiar with this school, but Temple U. is not the greatest undergrad school in the world. Would this hurt me in anyway?

GMAT: 710 (M-95%, V-83%)

Current Employer: Deloitte & Touche (Big Four Accounting Firm)

Professional Designation: CPA; Passed all four parts of the CPA exam on my first attempt averaging a score of 90.

Awards & Activity: Beta Alpha Psi (Honors Accounting Fraternity) Member, Community Service Award Recipient from Beta Alpha Psi, Deloitte Minority Accounting Scholarship Recipient, Recognition Award Recipient from Deloitte & Touche, AICPA & PICPA Member, Outstanding Performance Award Recipient from PICPA

Work Experience: I will have three years of work experience by the time I start graduate school. I was a Tax Consultant, reaching the level of Consultant II. As a Tax Consultant, I worked on one of the biggest tax clients of the office I am in. I applied and got accepted to an audit rotation, which is always very competitive. During the audit rotation, I was lucky enough to work on the biggest SEC Spin-off ever. After the audit rotation, I transferred from tax to audit permanently. I transferred to audit as a "Second Year" auditor even though I only had limited amount of auditing experience. Even though I will only have 3 years of experience, I was promoted twice (hopefully more) in two different functions. I believe that having a background in both tax & audit gives me a strong foundation in business. What do you think? Also, I obtained a real estate license and made a few deals during the real estate boom.

MBA Schools I will apply to (Concentration in Finance):
- Wharton
- Columbia
- NYU
- Carnegie Mellon

My concerns:
- Am I too young?
- Do I have enough work experience?

What do you think my chances are of getting into those schools mentioned above?

Thanks for your time and help.

Wondee,

Going to Temple does not hurt you, don't worry about it. Taking the GMAT three times is fine, but four or more would not look good. Your upward progression in the GMAT is great, so no negative there. You are young, but you are clearly a strong applicant with quality work experience and therefore a chance for admission at these schools. Big question marks are leadership and community. You are perhaps too young to get much leadership opportunity at work, so I recommend finding a serious, intensive leadership role in a community organization--i.e., leading groups of people or shaping the organization's future in some major way. Doing this will take care of both the leadership and community involvement gaps I see in your profile. I see CMU and NYU as more likely than Columbia and Wharton. You might also consider MIT, Duke, and Michigan. The worst thing that can happen is you'll get dinged, but from that you'll get some feedback on your app and a slightly better shot the next time you apply.
See Accepted.com's advice for younger applicants.

Paul Bodine /
Author, Great Applications for Business School and Perfect Phrases for Business School Acceptance

Follow Paul Bodine on Twitter

Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2007, 03:39
Thanks for the evaluation. I think I will spend a lot of time between now and the application period to work on my essays. Also, I am in the middle of starting an organization as we speak so hopefully this will help me out as well (If it doesn't help me, thats fine too, because I am really excited about what I am about to start!!!) Thanks again and take care. I am sure I will have more questions to ask you when the application time nears.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 163 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2007, 19:50
wondee wrote:
Thanks for the evaluation. I think I will spend a lot of time between now and the application period to work on my essays. Also, I am in the middle of starting an organization as we speak so hopefully this will help me out as well (If it doesn't help me, thats fine too, because I am really excited about what I am about to start!!!) Thanks again and take care. I am sure I will have more questions to ask you when the application time nears.

You're welcome and good luck.

Paul Bodine /
Author, Great Applications for Business School and Perfect Phrases for Business School Acceptance

Follow Paul Bodine on Twitter