Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 23:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Please evaluate this potential '11 MBA reject

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 11 Mar 2011
Posts: 18
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Please evaluate this potential '11 MBA reject [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2011, 09:48
Linda,

I have been following your company for awhile now on facebook and twitter -- accepted[dot]com has always been extremely useful during my hectic rush to finalize applications last year. I applied to MIT, Georgetown, University of Maryland and so far have been accepted to Smith. Georgetown releases their decision on March 25 (I applied to the part-time program) but I have not been invited to interview with them yet -- so obviously chances are very slim.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Stats:
Indian American origin -- born in India, but we immigrated when I was 4.

Undergrad: Boston University, BS Electrical Engineering- Class of 2005, GPA: 2.68/4.0 while enrolled in Air Force ROTC. I was the president of the Indian Club @ BU and the Vice-President of the Arnold Air Society (community service organization in AFROTC). Low GPA because: 1) I didn't know I wanted an MBA back then. 2) Since I knew I had a job lined up with the AF after graduation, I wasn't too ambitious on getting all A's.

GMAT: First score was 550...2nd score was 620 (44Q, 29V, 6.0AWA). Still low.

Professional Experience: 3 years as a commissioned officer in the US Air Force all working in Germany except for being deployed to the Middle East for 6 months fighting in the "War on Terror". While in Germany, I implemented Kaizen to the AF IT system and consolidated 96 call centers to one focal point that I was responsible for -- managed 60 troops at the age of 24 and worked with the UK, Spain, Greece and Italy. 4 star general at the Pentagon visited my work and directed to implement that AF wide. While deployed, I set up the communication system for former Pres. Bush and Dr. Rice's visit to the battlefield along with several 4 star generals.

Now -- I work in construction management and have worked for Top Secret projects and a $330 million data center.

Extracurricular: lots of volunteering -- cleaning up parks/rivers/schools. Volunteering at food pantries and with tutoring children. Active with my undergrad alumni association in my city as a volunteer and an intramural sports athlete.

Aspirations: Long term - start my own international real estate development company (focusing on brownfield redevelopment). Short term: Work with developers or a REIT or in green energy consulting.
------------------------------

Question 1 - Do I reject Smith in hopes of applying with a better GMAT score next year? I plan on taking prep classes to solidify my chances of getting a 700+ on it. My GPA is something I can't control anymore and my professional experience is something that won't increase too much in a year. However, I am planning on becoming LEED accredited by this summer -- something else I can add to the resume. No offense whatsoever to Smith, but I feel for what I want to do, I may need to attend a more reputable school. Thoughts? The downside is, if I say no to Smith and don't get into any school next year -- I'm basically done as far as an MBA goes since I doubt I can reapply to Smith next yr after saying no to it this year. Or can I?

Question 2 - With everything remaining at the status quo except my GMAT's going up to 700+ and LEED accreditation, what are my chances at Columbia (pretty awesome RE program), NYU, Haas, Georgetown, MIT, Kellogg, Booth -- and INSEAD or LBS for international schools? I am contemplating on hiring a consultant to possibly 'brand' myself better than I have this year -- or maybe my recommendations were awful (my boss did submit all recommendations on the same day the day before he left for his Christmas vacation).

I sincerely appreciate your opinion on these matters. Thank you so much.

nks
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
avatar
Joined: 23 Dec 2010
Posts: 668
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

Re: Please evaluate this potential '11 MBA reject [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2011, 13:30
Expert's post
enigmatic526 wrote:
Linda,

I have been following your company for awhile now on facebook and twitter -- accepted[dot]com has always been extremely useful during my hectic rush to finalize applications last year. I applied to MIT, Georgetown, University of Maryland and so far have been accepted to Smith. Georgetown releases their decision on March 25 (I applied to the part-time program) but I have not been invited to interview with them yet -- so obviously chances are very slim.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Stats:
Indian American origin -- born in India, but we immigrated when I was 4.

Undergrad: Boston University, BS Electrical Engineering- Class of 2005, GPA: 2.68/4.0 while enrolled in Air Force ROTC. I was the president of the Indian Club @ BU and the Vice-President of the Arnold Air Society (community service organization in AFROTC). Low GPA because: 1) I didn't know I wanted an MBA back then. 2) Since I knew I had a job lined up with the AF after graduation, I wasn't too ambitious on getting all A's.

GMAT: First score was 550...2nd score was 620 (44Q, 29V, 6.0AWA). Still low.

Professional Experience: 3 years as a commissioned officer in the US Air Force all working in Germany except for being deployed to the Middle East for 6 months fighting in the "War on Terror". While in Germany, I implemented Kaizen to the AF IT system and consolidated 96 call centers to one focal point that I was responsible for -- managed 60 troops at the age of 24 and worked with the UK, Spain, Greece and Italy. 4 star general at the Pentagon visited my work and directed to implement that AF wide. While deployed, I set up the communication system for former Pres. Bush and Dr. Rice's visit to the battlefield along with several 4 star generals.

Now -- I work in construction management and have worked for Top Secret projects and a $330 million data center.

Extracurricular: lots of volunteering -- cleaning up parks/rivers/schools. Volunteering at food pantries and with tutoring children. Active with my undergrad alumni association in my city as a volunteer and an intramural sports athlete.

Aspirations: Long term - start my own international real estate development company (focusing on brownfield redevelopment). Short term: Work with developers or a REIT or in green energy consulting.
------------------------------

Question 1 - Do I reject Smith in hopes of applying with a better GMAT score next year? I plan on taking prep classes to solidify my chances of getting a 700+ on it. My GPA is something I can't control anymore and my professional experience is something that won't increase too much in a year. However, I am planning on becoming LEED accredited by this summer -- something else I can add to the resume. No offense whatsoever to Smith, but I feel for what I want to do, I may need to attend a more reputable school. Thoughts? The downside is, if I say no to Smith and don't get into any school next year -- I'm basically done as far as an MBA goes since I doubt I can reapply to Smith next yr after saying no to it this year. Or can I?

Question 2 - With everything remaining at the status quo except my GMAT's going up to 700+ and LEED accreditation, what are my chances at Columbia (pretty awesome RE program), NYU, Haas, Georgetown, MIT, Kellogg, Booth -- and INSEAD or LBS for international schools? I am contemplating on hiring a consultant to possibly 'brand' myself better than I have this year -- or maybe my recommendations were awful (my boss did submit all recommendations on the same day the day before he left for his Christmas vacation).

I sincerely appreciate your opinion on these matters. Thank you so much.

nks

You can certainly "reject" Smith this year in hopes of gaining acceptance to a more highly reputed program next year. Most schools do not offer deferrals, but if your military reserve role prevents your attending this year because of the current global instability then Smith might accept that reasoning and allow your deferral. If it does not, there is no reason to believe that Smith will reject you just because you chose not to attend this year. I do, on the other hand, recommend applying to another "fallback" program just in case.
Columbia will like your military experience but not your GPA, so I do advise you to try to build an alternate transcript (in addition to the 700+ GMAT) over the next few months. Can you enroll in a few courses (statistics, accounting, etc.) and get A's in them so you can prove your academic potential?
Certainly if your recommendations were not detailed and strong, that is a huge strike against you. I recommend hand-holding the recommenders through the process, or perhaps having them work directly with your editor (as we at Accepted.com often do) to help the recommenders keep to a timetable and write detailed letters that round out your applications. Leaving this very large element of your applications to chance and the last minute is just too much of a wild card in your application process.
_________________

Regards,
Jennifer Bloom, CPRW
jbloom@accepted.com
310-815-9553

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 11 Mar 2011
Posts: 18
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: Please evaluate this potential '11 MBA reject [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2011, 07:18
jenniferbloom wrote:
You can certainly "reject" Smith this year in hopes of gaining acceptance to a more highly reputed program next year. Most schools do not offer deferrals, but if your military reserve role prevents your attending this year because of the current global instability then Smith might accept that reasoning and allow your deferral. If it does not, there is no reason to believe that Smith will reject you just because you chose not to attend this year. I do, on the other hand, recommend applying to another "fallback" program just in case.
Columbia will like your military experience but not your GPA, so I do advise you to try to build an alternate transcript (in addition to the 700+ GMAT) over the next few months. Can you enroll in a few courses (statistics, accounting, etc.) and get A's in them so you can prove your academic potential?
Certainly if your recommendations were not detailed and strong, that is a huge strike against you. I recommend hand-holding the recommenders through the process, or perhaps having them work directly with your editor (as we at Accepted.com often do) to help the recommenders keep to a timetable and write detailed letters that round out your applications. Leaving this very large element of your applications to chance and the last minute is just too much of a wild card in your application process.


Jennifer,

Thank you for your comments -- I have decided to finish up my LEED accreditation by end of April this year. The summer classes at a local state university starts in early May and runs about 6 weeks and will probably take accounting. I'll then take another class (stats) up til august. Those 2 classes will hopefully bolster my GPA -- however, do I take graduate accting/stats classes or undergrad?

I'm also planning on taking a GMAT prep class either via Manhattan or Veritas in early June and finally take my GMAT's in mid/late August. Sept-December is then dedicated to applications working with a consultant like accepted.com.

Intense year -- but I want it bad and hopefully it'll all be worth it come this time next year. Please advise if I should take undergrad or grad classes as a supplemental transcript. Thank you.

Please advise on
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
avatar
Joined: 23 Dec 2010
Posts: 668
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

Re: Please evaluate this potential '11 MBA reject [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2011, 02:33
Expert's post
enigmatic526 wrote:
jenniferbloom wrote:
You can certainly "reject" Smith this year in hopes of gaining acceptance to a more highly reputed program next year. Most schools do not offer deferrals, but if your military reserve role prevents your attending this year because of the current global instability then Smith might accept that reasoning and allow your deferral. If it does not, there is no reason to believe that Smith will reject you just because you chose not to attend this year. I do, on the other hand, recommend applying to another "fallback" program just in case.
Columbia will like your military experience but not your GPA, so I do advise you to try to build an alternate transcript (in addition to the 700+ GMAT) over the next few months. Can you enroll in a few courses (statistics, accounting, etc.) and get A's in them so you can prove your academic potential?
Certainly if your recommendations were not detailed and strong, that is a huge strike against you. I recommend hand-holding the recommenders through the process, or perhaps having them work directly with your editor (as we at Accepted.com often do) to help the recommenders keep to a timetable and write detailed letters that round out your applications. Leaving this very large element of your applications to chance and the last minute is just too much of a wild card in your application process.


Jennifer,

Thank you for your comments -- I have decided to finish up my LEED accreditation by end of April this year. The summer classes at a local state university starts in early May and runs about 6 weeks and will probably take accounting. I'll then take another class (stats) up til august. Those 2 classes will hopefully bolster my GPA -- however, do I take graduate accting/stats classes or undergrad?

I'm also planning on taking a GMAT prep class either via Manhattan or Veritas in early June and finally take my GMAT's in mid/late August. Sept-December is then dedicated to applications working with a consultant like accepted.com.

Intense year -- but I want it bad and hopefully it'll all be worth it come this time next year. Please advise if I should take undergrad or grad classes as a supplemental transcript. Thank you.

Please advise on

The difficulty of the class is going to be part of the yardstick by which the schools measure the value of the alternate transcript you are creating. If you've taken undergraduate statistics and/or accounting already, then go ahead and take graduate level courses in them. However, if this is going to be your first exposure to these subjects, then the undergraduate level is probably the more appropriate path.
Since the first deadlines are in October, I recommend you try to begin preparing your applications in August (or even July!) instead of September.
_________________

Regards,
Jennifer Bloom, CPRW
jbloom@accepted.com
310-815-9553

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 11 Mar 2011
Posts: 18
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: Please evaluate this potential '11 MBA reject [#permalink] New post 31 May 2011, 10:40
Thank you for all your help Jennifer! I'm glad to announce that I was actually accepted to Georgetown's McDonough SB for this fall. I was working on a class up until now, but I obviously withdrew from it to refocus my priorities for preparing for business school. Thank you again!
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
avatar
Joined: 23 Dec 2010
Posts: 668
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

Re: Please evaluate this potential '11 MBA reject [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2011, 02:03
Expert's post
Congratulations on the Georgetown acceptance! I think it would have been better to stay in the accounting course if you could have handled it - that preparation will help you in the core courses at McDonough. Enjoy the program!
_________________

Regards,
Jennifer Bloom, CPRW
jbloom@accepted.com
310-815-9553

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Please evaluate my potential application MBAbound12 1 30 Jun 2011, 08:55
Please evaluate this potential '11 MBA reject enigmatic526 9 16 Mar 2011, 09:50
Please evaluate this potential '11 MBA reject enigmatic526 2 16 Mar 2011, 09:42
Experts publish their posts in the topic Please evaluate a potential '11 reject enigmatic526 3 16 Mar 2011, 09:34
Please evaluate this potential fall '11 reject enigmatic526 10 16 Mar 2011, 09:28
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Please evaluate this potential '11 MBA reject

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.