Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 08:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Please evaluate this potential fall '11 reject

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 11 Mar 2011
Posts: 18
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Please evaluate this potential fall '11 reject [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2011, 09:28
No, don't worry -- I don't suffer from low self-esteem, I just didn't get into the schools I wanted.
I applied to MIT, Georgetown, University of Maryland and so far have been accepted to Smith. Georgetown releases their decision on March 25 (I applied to the part-time program) but I have not been invited to interview with them yet -- so obviously chances are very slim.

Stats:
Indian American origin -- born in India, but we immigrated when I was 4.

Undergrad: Boston University, BS Electrical Engineering, GPA: 2.68/4.0 while enrolled in Air Force ROTC. I was the president of the Indian Club @ BU and the Vice-President of the Arnold Air Society (community service organization in AF ROTC)

GMAT: First score was 550...2nd score was 620 (44Q, 29V, 6.0AWA). Still low.

Professional Experience: 3 years as a commissioned officer in the US Air Force all working in Germany except for being deployed to the Middle East for 6 months fighting in the "War on Terror". While in Germany, I implemented Kaizen to the AF IT system and consolidated 96 call centers to one focal point that I was responsible for -- managed 60 troops at the age of 24 and worked with the UK, Spain, Greece and Italy. 4 star general at the Pentagon visited my work and directed to implement that AF wide. While deployed, I set up the communication system for former Pres. Bush and Dr. Rice's visit to the battlefield along with several 4 star generals.

Now -- I work in construction management and have worked for Top Secret projects and a $330 million data center.

Extracurricular: lots of volunteering -- cleaning up parks/rivers/schools. Volunteering at food pantries and with tutoring children. Active with my undergrad alumni association in my city as a volunteer and intramural sports athlete.

Aspirations: Long term - start my own real estate development company (focusing on brownfield redevelopment). Short term: Work with developers or a REIT or in green energy consulting.
------------------------------

Question 1 - Do I reject Smith in hopes of applying with a better GMAT score next year? I plan on taking prep classes to solidify my chances of getting a 700+ on it. My GPA is something I can't control anymore and my professional experience is something that won't increase too much in a year. However, I am planning on becoming LEED accredited by this summer -- something else I can add to the resume. No offense whatsoever to Smith, but I feel for what I want to do, I may need to attend a more reputable school. Thoughts? The downside is, if I say no to Smith and don't get into any school next year -- I'm basically done as far as an MBA goes since I doubt I can reapply to Smith next yr after saying no to it this year. Or can I?

Question 2 - With everything remaining at the status quo except my GMAT's going up to 700+ and LEED accreditation, what are my chances at Columbia (pretty awesome RE program), NYU, Haas, Georgetown, MIT, Kellogg, Booth? I am contemplating on hiring a consultant to possibly 'brand' myself better than I have this year -- or maybe my recommendations were awful (my boss did submit all recommendations on the same day the day before he left for his Christmas vacation).

I sincerely appreciate your opinion on these matters. Thank you so much.

nks
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 07 May 2010
Posts: 731
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 85 [0], given: 66

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Please evaluate this potential fall '11 reject [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2011, 09:38
smith is OK around dc area, gtown PT kills it though...just look at the gmat avgs of the incoming class.

I think gT is 70 point higher.

With you GPA your almost for certain a ding everywhere even with a 700 gmat....which unfortunately is now below average.....Gtown full time out of that second list would be your best shot. But that gmat is a killer....i have similar gpa and a 720 and am on the WL for gtown. REjected w/o interview at the other school around nyu/duke level
_________________

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 11 Mar 2011
Posts: 18
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: Please evaluate this potential fall '11 reject [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2011, 10:03
jordanhendrix wrote:
smith is OK around dc area, gtown PT kills it though...just look at the gmat avgs of the incoming class.

I think gT is 70 point higher.

With you GPA your almost for certain a ding everywhere even with a 700 gmat....which unfortunately is now below average.....Gtown full time out of that second list would be your best shot. But that gmat is a killer....i have similar gpa and a 720 and am on the WL for gtown. REjected w/o interview at the other school around nyu/duke level


------------------
My thoughts are very similar when I compare Smith vs GTown. I was really banking on my work experience and hoping that since the 620 was in the 80% range (albeit the lower end), I would have a shot. Will UMD help in reaching my goal though? I can't imagine I'll be happy with it if I am already having so many doubts about it.
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 07 May 2010
Posts: 731
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 85 [0], given: 66

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Please evaluate this potential fall '11 reject [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2011, 11:15
i think you should retake the gmat, maybe take a couple of courses that you can use to prove your not lazy....search the phrase "alternative transcript" for more info on that.

IF you have a gmat above 700 I think you should shoot for full time next year....check out cornell too its got a good RE program and can be forgiving of lowish GPA's sometimes

At the end of the day if you are dead set on an MBA you may not get the best school for you b/c of that gpa...i know it sucks its happening to me right now!

But i think with a little bit of time and hard work you can get into a school that gets a you a decent RE job.....which honestly isnt anywhere near as competitive as consulting or finance at most b schools.

I do think UMD can get you that far, but that part time program has about 1000 people, non of whom get recruited the way the full time class does.

As far as consultants just do your due diligence, those guys are $$$! but all offer free consultations to start and yo can get a good feel for where you stand in their eyes....which for the most part is pretty accurate.....just dont get excited if one tells you can get into cornell if you give them 1K.
_________________

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 11 Mar 2011
Posts: 18
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: Please evaluate this potential fall '11 reject [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2011, 11:25
jordanhendrix wrote:
i think you should retake the gmat, maybe take a couple of courses that you can use to prove your not lazy....search the phrase "alternative transcript" for more info on that.

IF you have a gmat above 700 I think you should shoot for full time next year....check out cornell too its got a good RE program and can be forgiving of lowish GPA's sometimes

At the end of the day if you are dead set on an MBA you may not get the best school for you b/c of that gpa...i know it sucks its happening to me right now!

But i think with a little bit of time and hard work you can get into a school that gets a you a decent RE job.....which honestly isnt anywhere near as competitive as consulting or finance at most b schools.

I do think UMD can get you that far, but that part time program has about 1000 people, non of whom get recruited the way the full time class does.

As far as consultants just do your due diligence, those guys are $$$! but all offer free consultations to start and yo can get a good feel for where you stand in their eyes....which for the most part is pretty accurate.....just dont get excited if one tells you can get into cornell if you give them 1K.



Thanks man -- I definitely appreciate your thoughts. It sucks, but I'm def not lazy and will prove it to the adco -- though, I was hoping to prove it in class this year instead of in GMATs and essay writing.
What are you going to do? Waiting on GTown's next round decision??
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 07 May 2010
Posts: 731
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 85 [0], given: 66

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Please evaluate this potential fall '11 reject [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2011, 11:29
yea but i got into kelly w/ $$ and Washington OLIN so we shall see....im 25 min from gtown and would like to remain here post MBA. I have no idea what im doing yet.....best of luck!
_________________

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 11 Mar 2011
Posts: 18
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: Please evaluate this potential fall '11 reject [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2011, 07:50
jordanhendrix wrote:
yea but i got into kelly w/ $$ and Washington OLIN so we shall see....im 25 min from gtown and would like to remain here post MBA. I have no idea what im doing yet.....best of luck!



So I'm heeding your advice and signing up for additional courses this summer -- in accounting and in statistics. One question though -- do I need to take undergrad or grad level classes? I'm sure I'll do well in either, but if I'm dropping $$ for GMAT prep classes and a consultant -- I'd like to save by taking undergrad classes.

On the flip side though, if I'm ready to shell out $100k on bschool, a few hundred is not going to matter in the long run. I'll do whatever is necessary.
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 07 May 2010
Posts: 731
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 85 [0], given: 66

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Please evaluate this potential fall '11 reject [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2011, 08:13
excellent question!
there is fortunately a consensus on this....undergrad course maybe 200 level if you can.

grad courses are very easy on the grading so its not really a true indicator.
_________________

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 11 Mar 2011
Posts: 18
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: Please evaluate this potential fall '11 reject [#permalink] New post 31 May 2011, 10:44
jordanhendrix wrote:
excellent question!
there is fortunately a consensus on this....undergrad course maybe 200 level if you can.

grad courses are very easy on the grading so its not really a true indicator.



any luck jordan?? Will I be seeing you and yelling out Hoya Saxa or did you opt for Kelley or Olin? Looking forward to hear back on your decision!
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 07 May 2010
Posts: 731
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 85 [0], given: 66

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Please evaluate this potential fall '11 reject [#permalink] New post 31 May 2011, 11:16
Hey man, got into grown but got a big ride from Olin so all things considered, I will be heading to Olin. Best of luck!
_________________

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 11 Mar 2011
Posts: 18
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: Please evaluate this potential fall '11 reject [#permalink] New post 31 May 2011, 11:31
jordanhendrix wrote:
Hey man, got into grown but got a big ride from Olin so all things considered, I will be heading to Olin. Best of luck!



Congrats buddy!! That's awesome! Good luck out in St. Louis!
Re: Please evaluate this potential fall '11 reject   [#permalink] 31 May 2011, 11:31
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Please evaluate my potential application MBAbound12 1 30 Jun 2011, 08:55
Please evaluate this potential '11 MBA reject enigmatic526 9 16 Mar 2011, 09:50
Experts publish their posts in the topic Please evaluate this potential '11 MBA reject enigmatic526 5 16 Mar 2011, 09:48
Please evaluate this potential '11 MBA reject enigmatic526 2 16 Mar 2011, 09:42
Experts publish their posts in the topic Please evaluate a potential '11 reject enigmatic526 3 16 Mar 2011, 09:34
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Please evaluate this potential fall '11 reject

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: OasisGC



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.