Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 16:30 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 16:30

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 106 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Current Student
Send PM
Re: Please evaluate this potential fall '11 reject [#permalink]
i think you should retake the gmat, maybe take a couple of courses that you can use to prove your not lazy....search the phrase "alternative transcript" for more info on that.

IF you have a gmat above 700 I think you should shoot for full time next year....check out cornell too its got a good RE program and can be forgiving of lowish GPA's sometimes

At the end of the day if you are dead set on an MBA you may not get the best school for you b/c of that gpa...i know it sucks its happening to me right now!

But i think with a little bit of time and hard work you can get into a school that gets a you a decent RE job.....which honestly isnt anywhere near as competitive as consulting or finance at most b schools.

I do think UMD can get you that far, but that part time program has about 1000 people, non of whom get recruited the way the full time class does.

As far as consultants just do your due diligence, those guys are $$$! but all offer free consultations to start and yo can get a good feel for where you stand in their eyes....which for the most part is pretty accurate.....just dont get excited if one tells you can get into cornell if you give them 1K.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
jordanhendrix wrote:
i think you should retake the gmat, maybe take a couple of courses that you can use to prove your not lazy....search the phrase "alternative transcript" for more info on that.

IF you have a gmat above 700 I think you should shoot for full time next year....check out cornell too its got a good RE program and can be forgiving of lowish GPA's sometimes

At the end of the day if you are dead set on an MBA you may not get the best school for you b/c of that gpa...i know it sucks its happening to me right now!

But i think with a little bit of time and hard work you can get into a school that gets a you a decent RE job.....which honestly isnt anywhere near as competitive as consulting or finance at most b schools.

I do think UMD can get you that far, but that part time program has about 1000 people, non of whom get recruited the way the full time class does.

As far as consultants just do your due diligence, those guys are $$$! but all offer free consultations to start and yo can get a good feel for where you stand in their eyes....which for the most part is pretty accurate.....just dont get excited if one tells you can get into cornell if you give them 1K.

Thanks man -- I definitely appreciate your thoughts. It sucks, but I'm def not lazy and will prove it to the adco -- though, I was hoping to prove it in class this year instead of in GMATs and essay writing.
What are you going to do? Waiting on GTown's next round decision??
Current Student
Send PM
yea but i got into kelly w/ $$ and Washington OLIN so we shall see....im 25 min from gtown and would like to remain here post MBA. I have no idea what im doing yet.....best of luck!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
jordanhendrix wrote:
yea but i got into kelly w/ $$ and Washington OLIN so we shall see....im 25 min from gtown and would like to remain here post MBA. I have no idea what im doing yet.....best of luck!

So I'm heeding your advice and signing up for additional courses this summer -- in accounting and in statistics. One question though -- do I need to take undergrad or grad level classes? I'm sure I'll do well in either, but if I'm dropping $$ for GMAT prep classes and a consultant -- I'd like to save by taking undergrad classes.

On the flip side though, if I'm ready to shell out $100k on bschool, a few hundred is not going to matter in the long run. I'll do whatever is necessary.
Current Student
Send PM
excellent question!
there is fortunately a consensus on this....undergrad course maybe 200 level if you can.

grad courses are very easy on the grading so its not really a true indicator.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
jordanhendrix wrote:
excellent question!
there is fortunately a consensus on this....undergrad course maybe 200 level if you can.

grad courses are very easy on the grading so its not really a true indicator.

any luck jordan?? Will I be seeing you and yelling out Hoya Saxa or did you opt for Kelley or Olin? Looking forward to hear back on your decision!
Current Student
Send PM
Hey man, got into grown but got a big ride from Olin so all things considered, I will be heading to Olin. Best of luck!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
jordanhendrix wrote:
Hey man, got into grown but got a big ride from Olin so all things considered, I will be heading to Olin. Best of luck!

Congrats buddy!! That's awesome! Good luck out in St. Louis!
GMAT Club Bot