Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 18:46 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 18:46

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 238 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: General
Schools:Yale SOM, Tuck, Ross, IESE, HEC, Johnson, Booth
 Q50  V34 GMAT 2: 720  Q50  V38
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
Re: Please evaluate this Profile - GMAT Score 700 (Q 50, V 37) [#permalink]
krishan,

Have a bit of a think about your post MBA location first. Since you're in Melbourne, I'm assuming you want to return to Australia. If you do then INSEAD should be a must in your list (strong brand in Australia). Also think about schools such as IMD, Duke, UNC etc. (i.e. schools that are clustered in Elite and Trans Elite) as safety school options.

Good luck.

krishan wrote:
Thanks for feedback bsd... moving to strat consulting is what I want to do.. probably I would need to put more effort to diffrentiate my app...

any suggestions on the colleges I can apply as "saftey" schools ??
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 308 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Health Care Marketing
Schools:Ross '10
Send PM
Kudos
krishan,

There are 100s of applicants like you who apply from the Indian Male IT demographic. Even if you are individually very well-accomplished there is a certain sameness to the work experience that you bring to the table.

Strength in numbers is a very useful thing, but while applying to B-schools it poses a big obstacle. Besides looking at a few safety schools, you should definitely reconsider your GMAT again. Meaning, try to pick schools where your GMAT score can give you a leg up.

Best,
ncp.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
ncp wrote:
krishan,

There are 100s of applicants like you who apply from the Indian Male IT demographic. Even if you are individually very well-accomplished there is a certain sameness to the work experience that you bring to the table.

Strength in numbers is a very useful thing, but while applying to B-schools it poses a big obstacle. Besides looking at a few safety schools, you should definitely reconsider your GMAT again. Meaning, try to pick schools where your GMAT score can give you a leg up.

Best,
ncp.

Thanks ncp. I am working on my list of schools to include those saftey schools too (such as Duke, INSEAD and some others ), as suggested by bsd.

I am just wondering how many of the applicants (who apply for MBA in a given year, to these reputed schools in US/Europe) are truly outstanding who have done stuff such as creating a startup and then selling it for $10 million, or Worked on a consulting project and saving client $40 Million. If almost all the people are like that (who get into Ultra Elite or Elite schools), then obviously my profile stands nowhere (I would "like" to assume that not many Bill Gates and Steve Jobs apply for B Schools :) )

But if the majority of people are lesser mortals who haven't yet not achieved extra-ordinary success in life/business and want to do by getting a MBA from a reputed school (atleast they hope they can), then I think I have a fair chance. Because, If you remove those exceptionally talented folks (described above), I think, no matter what profile you have, there will be hunderd (probably thousands) people with the same profile. It all boils down to how good you present yourself in the essay (along with other things like GMAT score, Work-ex) i.e. questions such as "How you will do value addition to the class", "what are your short term and long term plans" etc.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
 Q44  V40
Send PM
Getting into the top b-schools, in fact even the ones you have listed as safety schools is very very difficult. These schools look for stellar candidates. If you consider yourself a 'lesser mortal' that very statement will disqualify you from these schools. Agreed, not every candidate who makes it into these schools has outlandish achievements, but they are really good candidates. For that matter, check out the profiles and some of the threads of those who have made it to the top schools on this forum. You will definitely find a 'degree of difference' in them, as compared to the rest. This 'degree of difference' is what b-schools look for. Ultimately, you have to figure out if you have this differentiating ability.

This differentiating ability becomes competitive with the demographics. For someone in Mongolia, where people hardly know about college, scoring an average GMAT and having nominal work experience sets him/her apart from a vast majority of the Mongol population. Now apply that same rule to India, where the 'peer talent' is outrageously competitive. You can easily find students who have excelled at what they've done. So you have to think how to make yourself stand out amidst such a competitive crowd.

Above all, really ask yourself why do you want to do an MBA. Having an aim as plain as 'I want to get into Strat consulting' will frankly not take you very far in the admission process. There are 10,000 other students who have a similar goal, so again you fall into the ultra competitive pool. You should ask yourself why do you want to get into Strat consulting ? Have you done enough research on this field .. what is it like ? Do you know what McKinsey is all about .. etc etc. So even if you said something like 'I want to get into Strat consulting' and qualified the statements with the whys .. the 'why' will help in differentiating you from those 9,999 other applicants who want to get into strat consulting and 9000 of whom want to get into McKinsey :).

Hope this helps.

-pradeep
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hi Pradeep, agree with your point absolutely(loved your last sentence :) ). I have just started on my way to compose application..I was not sure where to start.. I did read some sites like Business Week.. but getting answered real-time on this forum is fantastic in shaping the thought process... Thanks a lot for everyone's discussion.

I have got enough faith now that I can make it through... I will get started on this arduous journey:)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 308 [2]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Health Care Marketing
Schools:Ross '10
Send PM
Kudos
Krishan,

I did not mean to be discouraging, and I want you to understand that many people from your background succeed in the application process. What I told you was just the reality of admissions. I had the same things going against me, but was able to get into the school I wanted.

If you want to get into the top schools, you should stop thinking of yourself as a lesser mortal. You are who you are, but dont judge yourself just based on what you understand as extraordinary achievements. Extraordinary achievements manifest in different forms. Dont dismiss things you have achieved with a "nah, thats too ordinary" wave. I made that mistake when I began the process. Be honest to yourselves, but dont short sell. Ask your co-workers what they think your best achievements are. Their answers may surprise you. They may tell you something that did not feel like a big deal to you. Find out why they think otherwise. We do many things that are great from an outsider's point of view, but seem trivial to ourselves. You really dont need to have sold a company for 10 million or saved anyone 40 million, although those are very helpful with admissions.

Honesty, and the sincerity and candidness you convey in your essays make a huge difference. Believe me, there are tons of seemingly ordinary people in B-schools. Not just at Ross, but at every single top school. Speaking of honesty, let me explain why I asked you to pick B-schools based on your GMAT. I said so mainly because it is too late in the game for this year. And, frankly speaking, your initial post seemed extremely superficial to me and like any one of the 100s of profiles from Male IT folks from India. Here, you short changed yourself. I did not see the conviction in your post that you belonged in the top schools. I am sure you are more than what was conveyed in your initial post. Show your personality to others, do it with confidence, and use this forum in the next few months to understand the admissions process better.
Good luck!

krishan wrote:
Thanks ncp. I am working on my list of schools to include those saftey schools too (such as Duke, INSEAD and some others ), as suggested by bsd.

I am just wondering how many of the applicants (who apply for MBA in a given year, to these reputed schools in US/Europe) are truly outstanding who have done stuff such as creating a startup and then selling it for $10 million, or Worked on a consulting project and saving client $40 Million. If almost all the people are like that (who get into Ultra Elite or Elite schools), then obviously my profile stands nowhere (I would "like" to assume that not many Bill Gates and Steve Jobs apply for B Schools :) )

But if the majority of people are lesser mortals who haven't yet not achieved extra-ordinary success in life/business and want to do by getting a MBA from a reputed school (atleast they hope they can), then I think I have a fair chance. Because, If you remove those exceptionally talented folks (described above), I think, no matter what profile you have, there will be hunderd (probably thousands) people with the same profile. It all boils down to how good you present yourself in the essay (along with other things like GMAT score, Work-ex) i.e. questions such as "How you will do value addition to the class", "what are your short term and long term plans" etc.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hey ncp...that was inspiring. I did not take your comment in the negative sense, not at all. Just that I was not sure on how to start shaping my application. So I started with putting my profile on this forum, to get the things started.

I will be applying for the classes next year(starting 2010), so I have got ample time to put in a well prepared application. This forum has helped me getting a good score in GMAT (I relied on this forum more than any other material during preparation), I am sure I can use it to get the school of my choice too :)

Thanks again for your words.
GMAT Club Bot