Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 09:56 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 09:56

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: U. Chicago, Johns Hopkins, AIGAC
Own Kudos [?]: 192 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: U. Chicago, Johns Hopkins, AIGAC
Own Kudos [?]: 192 [0]
Send PM
Re: Please evaluate -What are my chances of getting into top [#permalink]
rosellecs wrote:
Thank you Paul for advice. However, I feel frustrated and conflicted on this issue. I have always wanted to study law but I fear that work opportunities in law field may be scarce after graduation since field is so competitive. I am not sure if I have good reason to fear. I am also considering the fact that I may not get into top 15 law school. That was why I decided to do MBA also.

I am aware that JD/MBA would be alot more expensive which is what you might be referring to when you referred to it as 'large hurdle' and I am concerned about the large debt. However, I keep thinking that I should not give up my dream of studying law.

At the end of the day, I am prepared to make sacrifices and do what's best for me. What would you advise and which field (JD or MBA) is more likely to present better opportunities and success.

P.S. I am aware that this is not likely to make material difference in my profile but I just got promoted to a level 2 at my job about a week ago.

rosellecs,

Congratulations on the promotion; they always have a strengthening effect on applicants' profiles. I see your reasoning regarding the JD. However, job prospects for new JDs are not only rosey for those who graduate from top 15 law schools! Far more schools than the top 15 can give you very marketable credentials in their local or regional market if not always nationwide. My reference to the hurdle of the JD-MBA was not only to its cost but to the fact that you must gain admission to two programs, not just one--a tougher proposition. As for which degree offers better prospects, IMO the MBA is the more versatile degree and probably the one that's easiest to attain. As for income potential, that depends on which industries you're aiming for post-degree. Bottom line: business school might be a good idea for someone who doesn't know what he wants to do, but I don't believe law school is. You should really know whether you want to become a lawyer before embarking on the JD route.

Good luck,
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Please evaluate -What are my chances of getting into top [#permalink]