Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Sep 2014, 10:56

Happy Labor Day:

Free Access to New GMATClub Tests for all GMATClub Members!!

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Please evaluate my potential application

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.65
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 2

Please evaluate my potential application [#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2011, 08:55
1) Basic demographic info: 26 year old (at matriculation) white male

2) Educational Background: University of Maryland, double major accounting and finance, GPA 3.7, 690 GMAT (Q44 V40), licensed CPA

3) Work experience: Big 4 Consultant within Transaction Services group for a year and a half. Previously spent 2 years in audit at the same firm. Will be a senior associate upon matriculation. I anticipate having strong recommendations.

4) Extracurriculars: Involved in a 3 year long mentoring program aimed at getting underpriveledged high schoolers into college. Involved in volunteering for Junior Achievement and soup kitchens through work.

5) Short/Long term goals: I am looking to make the switch from doing diligence on M&A deals to investment banking M&A and eventually into private equity. Preference of location would be NYC or San Francisco.

6) Schools: Considering all top 10 schools, (except Stanford and Harvard, which I assume are out of the question) Columbia, Cal, Penn, Chicago, MIT, NYU, Michigan, Northwestern, etc.

I am looking to attend one of the above mentioned schools. Please let me know what you think my chances are and whether there are areas in which I can improve. I am considering taking the GMAT again, but I am not really sure how much more a 710 will help my cause. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Please evaluate my potential application [#permalink] New post 04 Jul 2011, 02:46
Hello

Juggling between work and studies is tough so you need to define a significant time for your GMAT preparation.

Sometimes taking few days off work for preparing for the GMAT can help a person tremendously. If you have time this may not be a bad idea. Take practise GMAT tests to see how you are doing. If you cannot do that don’t worry. What might work instead is to set aside 1-2 hours at night on weekdays and major part of your weekend to study and prepare for GMAT- in this case we will suggest a good 3 months preparation.

However we recommend you to keep taking practise tests to gauge your performance. It will help you in identifying your weak areas and you can focus on them accordingly.
There are various ways you can use to practise for your GMAT. It could be combination of online classes, coaching institutes, practise books and even smart phone applications. Having this combination will be giving you access to different styles and it won’t be monotonous for you.

Aim for 700 plus score so academically you are in a sage position.

Thanks!
Kavita Singh
FutureWorks Consulting
Pre Application Strategies|Admission Consulting |Pre-Departure Coaching|Workshops

Find out where you stand with our Free Assessment Test or drop your resume at kavita@futureworks.co.in

Re: Please evaluate my potential application   [#permalink] 04 Jul 2011, 02:46