Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 00:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Please evalute my profile

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
GPA: 2.7
WE: Sales (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Please evalute my profile [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2011, 13:35
Nationality: Indian

Education:
Bachelor of Engineering in Computer Science ,
MBA - Indian Institute of Management
Major - Finance
Minor - Economics
CFA Level 3 candidate

GPA in undergrad: 2.8
GPA in postgrad: 3
GMAT: 780 Q50, V46 5.0 AWA

Work Experience:
Varied roles at Indian private sector bank (2006 - Present)

CFA Level 3 candidate

Extracurriculars:
Nothing spectacular. Organized events for college festival with participation from over 40 colleges.
- Associated with an NGO for 3 yrs.
- Organized a Marathon

Schools (Haven't fully narrowed down yet but the pool is):
- Stanford
- Harvard
- Haas
- UCLA
- USC
- Sloan
- Kellogg
- Booth
- Wharton

After my MBA:
I want to go into private equity or investment banking.

I'm looking to apply for Fall 2012. What do you think are my chances at the schools I've listed?

How can i improve my application further?

Any other advice?
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Schools: Ross (admit after WL), Foster (admit), Wharton (ding), Thunderbird (admit)
WE 1: US Army logistics
WE 2: Client management & business development (Russian Auditing & accounting firm)
WE 3: Sales for renewable energy firm
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Re: Please evalute my profile [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2011, 22:57
psych wrote:
Nationality: Indian

Education:
Bachelor of Engineering in Computer Science ,
MBA - Indian Institute of Management
Major - Finance
Minor - Economics
CFA Level 3 candidate

GPA in undergrad: 2.8
GPA in postgrad: 3
GMAT: 780 Q50, V46 5.0 AWA

Work Experience:
Varied roles at Indian private sector bank (2006 - Present)

CFA Level 3 candidate

Extracurriculars:
Nothing spectacular. Organized events for college festival with participation from over 40 colleges.
- Associated with an NGO for 3 yrs.
- Organized a Marathon

Schools (Haven't fully narrowed down yet but the pool is):
- Stanford
- Harvard
- Haas
- UCLA
- USC
- Sloan
- Kellogg
- Booth
- Wharton

After my MBA:
I want to go into private equity or investment banking.

I'm looking to apply for Fall 2012. What do you think are my chances at the schools I've listed?

How can i improve my application further?

Any other advice?

After skimming this profile, the first question that came to mind is why do you need an additional MBA, when you already have an MBA education, along with plenty of finance-related certifications & experience? The "Prestige" of a top-US school is unlikely to be sufficient justification in the eyes of most Adcom members.

With your outstanding stats & history, I have no doubt you'll have plenty of stories to write about on your application essays, but be sure to articulate your need for an additional MBA.

Last edited by GMATveteran on 14 Jul 2011, 09:45, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Please evalute my profile [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2011, 02:26
Congrats on you gmat score. With this score you can easily target your desired school list. Beyond academics plays an equally important role so make sure you showcase it well.

Generally most of the applicants have a good 4-5 years of work experience. Although it is not just the work experience that counts but also what you did there like-what were your achievements, what initiative you took, what changes you drove in your workplace etc. So if you can show that in 5 years you have demonstrated the skills business schools are looking for you could put in a strong set of essays.

Hence the quality of your work, your academics and beyond academics will play an important role in determining your candidature. Make sure you follow the ‘show rather than tell’ principle so that the admissions committee could really understand your strengths and differentiating factors.” Beyond academics plays an equally important role so make sure you showcase it well. Generally most of the Indian applicants are from engineering background with a good 4-5 years of work experience.

Although it is not just the work experience that counts but also what you did there like-what were your achievements, what initiative you took, what changes you drove in your workplace etc. So if you can show that in 4-5 years you have demonstrated the skills business schools are looking for you could put in a strong set of essays. Hence the quality of your work, your academics and beyond academics will play an important role in determining your candidature.

Start thinking what makes you unique and what’s that ‘hook’ that will be key to your application.

Do let us know if there is anything in particular we can help you with, mail us here kavita@futureworks.co.in

Thanks!
Kavita Singh
FutureWorks Consulting
Pre Application Strategies|Admission Consulting |Pre-Departure Coaching|Workshops

Find out where you stand with our Free Assessment Test or drop your resume at kavita@futureworks.co.in

Re: Please evalute my profile   [#permalink] 14 Jul 2011, 02:26