Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 06:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Please evalute my profile.

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Please evalute my profile. [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2013, 04:11

Last edited by Biakka on 15 Apr 2013, 22:17, edited 1 time in total.
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 317 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
Re: Please evalute my profile. [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2013, 22:26
Expert's post
Biakka wrote:
I'm considering applying to MBA programs this coming year, and I am wondering what schools I should target. I've convinced myself that H/W/S are possible, but please feel free to tell me if that is unrealistic.

Demographics: African-American male. 29yo at matriculation. I have an interesting life story that involves overcoming substantial adversity.
Undergrad: Finance major at state school. 3.9+ GPA and leadership positions in campus organizations.

Work Experience: 4 years at matriculation. Attorney in the NYC office of a very well-regarded global law firm (after graduating from an Ivy League law school that is generally considered the nation's best, where I was active in several campus organizations). I represent mostly the major banks and my practice focuses mainly on structuring domestic and cross-border leveraged finance transactions, with some emphasis on acquisition financing. I have the opportunity to manage projects regularly, leading teams of 3-5 paralegals and attorneys.

GMAT: 700

Extracurriculars: Tutoring, mentoring, and community/economic development activities in undergrad. Community outreach program in law school. Also advised local small businesses on the legal aspects of their operations. Currently involved in mentoring children with incarcerated parents.

Objective: I would like to transition from the legal side of deals, where our role is largely documenting a transaction, to the business side of deals, where I can be a part of making decisions and driving the transaction. Accordingly, I'd like to go into finance post-MBA. I also like the idea of leaving the door open for consulting, as several shops advise law firms and legal department, and could add significant value there. I’m told that lawyers don’t do well in MBA admissions. Perhaps it’s the perceived lack of quantitative skills? I hope that my undergraduate major and GPA (as well as finance courses I took even while in law school) will help to dispel that notion in my case.

Any guidance you can offer would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

I agree with your assessment. H/S/W are feasible and you are applying appropriately if you apply to them. One slight question in my mind is the breakdown of your GMAT score. if it was balanced, that's OK. If one was significantly lower than the other, it could be a slight issue, but not enough of one for me to tell you not apply given your background, URM status, undergrad record, and work experience. You may also want to consider Chicago, Kellogg, and Columbia.

You might be interested in MBA Admissions A-Z: 26 Great Tips.

Best,
Linda

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Please evalute my profile. [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2013, 09:59

Last edited by Biakka on 15 Apr 2013, 22:17, edited 1 time in total.
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 317 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
Re: Please evalute my profile. [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2013, 22:05
Expert's post
Biakka wrote:
Thanks, Linda. My score was certainly skewed in favor of verbal, but, given the trajectory of my preparation to retake the exam, I am confident that I can score roughly Q45 and V47. Hopefully that would help alleviate any fears about my quantitative abilities?

I'd like to see the quant a little higher still, but you do have other evidence of quant ablity.

Please let me know if you would like help with your MBA application.

Best,
Linda

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog