Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Sep 2014, 13:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Please give inputs - seven days left for test ... need 650

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 11-30-2011
GPA: 3.1
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 29

Please give inputs - seven days left for test ... need 650 [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2012, 19:14
Hi.

I took gmatprep today, i scored 590 ( V - 26, Q - 44 ) , although i had to take it early morning immediately after waking up, i believe i could not focus on the test as i could otherwise, but did not have an option.

I need inputs for my prep for the next 8 days.

1) My accuracy at OG - SC 70%, CR - 70% and RC - 55%
2) Scores at Mgmat 600-640 ( Q - 43/44 and verbal 28-32 )
3) Knewton - 580 - ( Q - 42 , V - 26 )

I started my prep around dec 15th, so i have done OG only once till now.

I believe my strenths are SC and CR ( but only when i take them in slots of 15/20 problems :( , when i take all of them together, i make a lot of mistakes )

My strategy for next seven days ( considering that i need 650 )

1) To take 3 practice tests ( no test in last two days from the date of test )
2) Review of manhattan advanced quant ( for strategy ) ==== am not sure this is right move or not :(
3) dedicate maximum time for SC, CR and RC ( in the order from hightest to lowest )

Doubt :

Recently i did verbal 2 guide - sc, rc and cr , my accuracy was as high as 75% ( combining all qs - not only first few of the guide ), so do you guys think i have the problem of pacing here ????

I really feel drained after 10/15 Qs of verbal , with quant i dont face this problem though.

Please suggest me strategy for the next 7 days.
Knewton GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GPA: 3.08
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 104

Re: Please give inputs - seven days left for test ... need 650 [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2012, 19:53
This post received
KUDOS
I'm for sure not the best placed candidate to offer advice, and hopefully other will chip in, but it appears that you should really focus on the verbal section of the exam. Your quantitative seems to fairly consistant between 42-44 while your verbal ranges anywhere from 26-32. In order to reach your target score of 650 with those verbal scores, you would need to increase your quant score to 49 which given your time frame might not be a possibility (need to master every aspect of quant). If you can keep your quant score consistant, then you can reach your target score by increasing your verbal up to 36. This seems more achievable as you don't need to strive for perfection.

Hopefully others can chime in and offer you better advice to improve you accuracy within the verbal section.

Good luck!
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1116

Kudos [?]: 5055 [2] , given: 164

Re: Please give inputs - seven days left for test ... need 650 [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2012, 00:26
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
versatile wrote:
Hi.

I took gmatprep today, i scored 590 ( V - 26, Q - 44 ) , although i had to take it early morning immediately after waking up, i believe i could not focus on the test as i could otherwise, but did not have an option.

I need inputs for my prep for the next 8 days.

1) My accuracy at OG - SC 70%, CR - 70% and RC - 55%
2) Scores at Mgmat 600-640 ( Q - 43/44 and verbal 28-32 )
3) Knewton - 580 - ( Q - 42 , V - 26 )

I started my prep around dec 15th, so i have done OG only once till now.

I believe my strenths are SC and CR ( but only when i take them in slots of 15/20 problems :( , when i take all of them together, i make a lot of mistakes )

My strategy for next seven days ( considering that i need 650 )

1) To take 3 practice tests ( no test in last two days from the date of test )
2) Review of manhattan advanced quant ( for strategy ) ==== am not sure this is right move or not :(
3) dedicate maximum time for SC, CR and RC ( in the order from hightest to lowest )

Doubt :

Recently i did verbal 2 guide - sc, rc and cr , my accuracy was as high as 75% ( combining all qs - not only first few of the guide ), so do you guys think i have the problem of pacing here ????

I really feel drained after 10/15 Qs of verbal , with quant i dont face this problem though.

Please suggest me strategy for the next 7 days.

Responding to a pm:

590 ( V - 26, Q - 44 ) - 8 days left

My suggestions:

1. I see a decent Quant score. After Q 44, you need to review and learn to apply the concepts to higher level questions. At Q 50, the concepts are the same, only the application is trickier. Application is not something you learn in a week. If one's concepts are weak, a day with the right theory material can make a world of difference but it's another story with application. So my suggestion would be to let Quant be. Just practice a little bit everyday to stay in the zone.

2. Verbal score has a lot of scope of improvement. Your RC accuracy is quite low. 80% is pretty achievable with some practice. Knowing the various question types helps. I generally recommend the Veritas RC book since it has some very good passages for practice and it gives you a strategy which works for a lot of people (with practice, of course). But I guess the book itself will take a week to get delivered! Whatever RC material you have, I would suggest you to read up on the various types of questions e.g. Universal, Inference etc and how to approach these question types. Again, familiarity with CR question types and a strategy to work with each one does a world of good. For SC, practice with the most common error categories helps you quickly identify the errors at decision points. Try and go through whatever theory you have for Verbal and practice as much as you can.

3. Three practice tests in the next 5 days might be a little too much. Keep them on a low priority. People tire out after taking a test and don't feel like coming back to books after that. So go through the things you have to go through first. Then, if you have the energy to take a test, go ahead. Tests only help you figure out what you know and what you don't. They don't teach you anything new.

4. It's common to tire out after the first few questions of Verbal. That makes you lose your concentration. Ensure that you take each break. Drink a few sips of water and grab a couple of bites to eat during each break. If coffee works for you, take some cold coffee in a flask. Whatever you need to re-energize yourself! A little bit of food goes a long way.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 430 Q26 V23
GPA: 3.34
WE: Sales (Consumer Products)

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 7

Re: Please give inputs - seven days left for test ... need 650 [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2012, 00:30
This post received
KUDOS
Focus on your weak areas and get a lot of rest. wish you all the best
2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship

Kudos [?]: 84 [2] , given: 16

Reviews Badge
Re: Please give inputs - seven days left for test ... need 650 [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2012, 00:58
This post received
KUDOS
Hi,

I dont know if this will work for you but I found the condensed Manhattan SC & GMAT club Flash Cards really good. I go thru them before starting a new section & they do help. My accuracy has improved upto 85% using these notes & PRACTICE PRACTICE

I couldnt remember the link but have uploaded the file for you.

Best of Luck..... & I'm rooting for you to kick the GMAT right where it hurts (700 + ) :-D
Attachments

File comment: GMAT Club Flash Cards
GMAT Flashcards v7.pdf [2.99 MiB]
Downloaded 56 times

To download please login or register as a user

File comment: Manhattan SC Notes
MGMAT%20SC%20SUMMARY[1].docx [69.66 KiB]
Downloaded 36 times

To download please login or register as a user

Giving +1 kudos is a better way of saying 'Thank You'.

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Wharton '15, CBS '15
GMAT Date: 06-30-2012
GPA: 3.7
WE: Accounting (Insurance)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 57 [2] , given: 10

Re: Please give inputs - seven days left for test ... need 650 [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2012, 06:35
This post received
KUDOS
I see two problems here. The verbal as everyone pointed out but also the stamina. If you tire out after 15 to 20 qs you are looking at double that for the V session alone... tack on quant and 2 essasys and you will be exhausted.

I would for now ignore the quant. I would focus on the verbal. One thing to note is - getting a high percentage correct on the book questions or even the OG can be VERY misleading.

For example, say OG has 100 qs on find the assumtion (making numbers up). Say you got 80% correct. You may say "Wow go me this is awesome." Then you take a close look at what you got right and what you got wrong. Out of the 100 Qs about 80 will be in the 300-600 level. So who is to say that the questions you missed are not above 600 level? If you are shooting for mid to high 600s the 80% correct will not help you. You got the easier questions right... Assess what is your percentage of questions correct in the 600-700 bracket and 700-800 bracket. That will give you a more meaningful insight of where you stand. Once you know what is killing your verbal score focus on that area.

In order to improve on stamina and improve on verbal I would do 41 question sets. Mocking the GMAT verbal section. 15 sc, 12 cr, 14 rc. Do them in one sitting. This way you can apply what you have learned and build stamina at the same time.

Reward wisdom with kudos

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GPA: 3.08

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 104

Re: Please give inputs - seven days left for test ... need 650 [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2012, 11:18
This post received
KUDOS
There is definitely some good advice up above! When I get to the Verbal section I'll for sure be incorporating the advice given by Wallstreetbarbie and by boomtangboy. Hopefully you can follow their advice and see a descent improvement.
Re: Please give inputs - seven days left for test ... need 650   [#permalink] 17 Feb 2012, 11:18