Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 00:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Please give me some advice urgently!!

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 18 Aug 2011
Posts: 18
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 3

Please give me some advice urgently!! [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2011, 03:22
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hi,

I have taken 3 out of 6 MGMAT test scoring around 650-670 I am aiming 720+
Kaplan free test - 660
And I am doing gmatclub tests for quant.

My main problem is low verbal score.. 31-33 I want to get to 40+. My verbal fundamentals are not bad, but I know my weakness that I am not able to manage time in verbal section when I give full CAT - Hence I am planning to give more gmat cats.

after doing MGMAT and gmatclub I have 2 options remaining knewton and princeton (as kaplan dont sell "only" gmat cats)

I have to give gmat in like 15-20 days and my aim is 720+

My question : Which is better for me between knewton and princeton CATS ?
and any other suggestions to improve my scores from ~670 to 720+ my weakness is verbal 31-33 around.

Thanks in advance
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Status: Head Turner ! am I ?
Affiliations: RHCE , CCNA, MCSE and Now GMAT ;)
Joined: 29 Jul 2011
Posts: 139
Location: India
WE: Operations (Computer Hardware)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 108 [0], given: 28

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Please give me some advice urgently!! [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2011, 04:18
Analyse any of your previous cat verbal score. Identify sections you are scoring low, say u have low scores in sc and rc. Next identify difficulty range where you got max numbers of problems wrong. Lets sat in SC you got all problems in 600-700 range wrong and in CR all 700-800. Next identify the topics. Revise the concepts, learn test taking strategies for those topics , say u r using 5-way method for 600-700 level SC problems. So learn using 2-3 split for them and achieve accuracy. Refer to ur OG logs for all those question types. Re do them with new strategy n keep an eye on accuracy.

Post the verbal section breakup of ur previous CAT, in detail and we can talk more on it.

Image Posted from GMAT ToolKit
_________________

_______________________________________________
Am i worth a Kudo ? Life's around GMAT for the Moment

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 18 Aug 2011
Posts: 18
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 3

Re: Please give me some advice urgently!! [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2011, 04:56
1
This post received
KUDOS
hoogly wrote:
Analyse any of your previous cat verbal score. Identify sections you are scoring low, say u have low scores in sc and rc. Next identify difficulty range where you got max numbers of problems wrong. Lets sat in SC you got all problems in 600-700 range wrong and in CR all 700-800. Next identify the topics. Revise the concepts, learn test taking strategies for those topics , say u r using 5-way method for 600-700 level SC problems. So learn using 2-3 split for them and achieve accuracy. Refer to ur OG logs for all those question types. Re do them with new strategy n keep an eye on accuracy.

Post the verbal section breakup of ur previous CAT, in detail and we can talk more on it.

Image Posted from GMAT ToolKit



Thanks a lot for your reply:

Here are my details scores in last 2 Manhattan tests: 650 - 660

Combined report for difficulty level in verbal:

QUESTION FORMAT Total Right Wrong Blank % Right Average
Time
RIGHT
Answers Average
Time
WRONG
Answers Average
Difficulty
RIGHT
Answers Average
Difficulty
WRONG
Answers


Critical Reasoning 28(total) 13(right) 15(wrong) 0 46% 1:52 2:23 620(right ans leve) 690(wrong ans level)
300 - 500 1 1 0 100% 0:48 NA
500 - 600 4 2 2 50% 1:30 2:43
600 - 700 15 10 5 67% 2:03 2:02
700 - 800 8 0 8 0% NA 2:31

Reading Comprehension 24(total) 16(right) 8(wrong) 0 67% 2:09 1:39 630 710
500 - 600 7 7 0 100% 0:58 NA
600 - 700 9 6 3 67% 2:44 1:32
700 - 800 8 3 5 38% 3:46 1:44

Sentence Correction 30(total) 14(right) 16(wrong) 0 47% 1:18 1:29 640 720
500 - 600 3 3 0 100% 1:22 NA
600 - 700 15 10 5 67% 1:18 1:29
700 - 800 12 1 11 8% 0:57 1:28


what is 2-3 method, is there a link where I can read more about verbal strategies?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 18 Aug 2011
Posts: 18
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 3

Re: Please give me some advice urgently!! [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2011, 05:00
I analyse each test but I think I need to give more test:
I have done MGMAT and gmatclub tests

can you suggest which one is better, I have 2 options remaining knewton and princeton (as kaplan dont sell "only" gmat cats) or any other test suggestion?

Thanks
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Pill Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 14 Apr 2009
Posts: 1611
Location: New York, NY
Followers: 294

Kudos [?]: 693 [1] , given: 6

Re: Please give me some advice urgently!! [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2011, 08:37
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
yuvrajpratap wrote:
I analyse each test but I think I need to give more test:
I have done MGMAT and gmatclub tests

can you suggest which one is better, I have 2 options remaining knewton and princeton (as kaplan dont sell "only" gmat cats) or any other test suggestion?

Thanks


I wouldn't necessarily say take more tests. If you do, take the GMAT Prep software ones. You also have OG.

It's not about doing more and more tests. Redo the ones you got wrong and keep asking yourself what you could have done to answer the question in less time. Could you have approached the question in a way that would not lead you to the wrong answer you chose? Retake the same test and see if you can score significantly higher--given that you already saw the question before. Push yourself to your limits by revisiting your weaknesses and demonstrating that you've conquered them.
_________________


... and more


Image What's Inside GMAT Pill?

Zeke Lee, GMAT Pill Study Method (Study Less. Score More.)


GMAT Pill Reviews | GMAT PILL Free Practice Test

Expert Post
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
avatar
Joined: 29 Apr 2010
Posts: 126
Followers: 47

Kudos [?]: 182 [0], given: 1

Re: Please give me some advice urgently!! [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2011, 12:40
Expert's post
I'm going to second gmatpill's advice above. Taking more tests is not the answer. I know that it can be comforting to take more tests because it feels like you're "doing something"--whereas strategy work can seem much more amorphous--but for where you are right now it is very important to analyze your performance and work on your process. Are you able to recognize a question type quickly? Do you have a concrete skill set to apply to each question type you're able to recognize? Are you comfortable executing strategies in the appropriate amount of time? And are you able to recognize when it's NOT worth your time to "invest" in a particular question at the expense of the rest of the test (and do you have backup methods to help you ballpark/eliminate answers/guess so you can move on)?

Burning through tons of tests may lead to a small improvement, but without detailed attention to technique you'll be reinforcing bad habits as well as good ones. Good training will combine detailed technique work AND timed practice/simulation. (An Olympic swimmer doesn't just do lots of laps--she also works with a coach to work on her stroke). The combination of these two sides is what will help you reach your fullest potential.
_________________


JP Park | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | Los Angeles

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Reviews

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Status: Head Turner ! am I ?
Affiliations: RHCE , CCNA, MCSE and Now GMAT ;)
Joined: 29 Jul 2011
Posts: 139
Location: India
WE: Operations (Computer Hardware)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 108 [2] , given: 28

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Please give me some advice urgently!! [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2011, 13:55
2
This post received
KUDOS
Hi Yuvraj,

I back the advice of both gmat pill and parker,

A Quick Analysis : ( I am not a master but still from whatever experience I have , I infer the following from your report. )

    Doing more tests just wont help.
    You have less than 50 % accuracy in SC and CR ! RC is perhaps better with around 67 % accuracy.
    The need of the hour is focus on SC and CR. SC is easy to improve .
    Low Accuracy in SC & CR indicates conceptual weakness . Yes acknowledge it.
    One question what books did you use to Grab your concepts and did you solve OG 12 in thorough ?
    If you have time postpone the test to somewhere between 3 weeks to a month .


Things to DO :

    If you have previously studied Mgmat SC , do it again . Take 3 days or so to complete it in thorough - 3 days.
    Grab Aristotle grail SC . Its concise and helps you to summarize your SC concepts - 1 day.
    It comes with a question bank , solve as many as you can - 2 days.
    Do the last 60 OG 12 SC problems again. Keep an error log. Start with a set of 10 problems. Time it.
    Mark your answers in an error log. review your answers with solutions using " Ultimate One Minute Explanations to OG12 SC " from Aristotle prep.
    Re do all those you got wrong. Also make sure you review the one's you got correct. Start with another set of 10 problems and repeat the process - 3 days.
    Go through Power score CR - 3 days
    Use OG 12 to solve first 20 and last 40 CR problems again using error log as explained above - 3 days
    Next 5 days do the remaining problems from SC and CR in OG 12 using error log - 5 days
    Take a Mgmat test again and analyse your score and find your weak areas topic wise in SC and CR.
    Review the concepts of your weak areas again.
    Take a Gmat Prep Software and gauge your score.

Note :

2-3 split method is explained in Mgmat SC.
Aristotle and e-gmat explain a 5-way method. Using Aristotle solution guide to OG 12 Sc problems makes you learn this method.
_________________

_______________________________________________
Am i worth a Kudo ? Life's around GMAT for the Moment

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 18 Aug 2011
Posts: 18
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 3

Re: Please give me some advice urgently!! [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2011, 00:22
hoogly wrote:
Hi Yuvraj,

I back the advice of both gmat pill and parker,

A Quick Analysis : ( I am not a master but still from whatever experience I have , I infer the following from your report. )

    Doing more tests just wont help.
    You have less than 50 % accuracy in SC and CR ! RC is perhaps better with around 67 % accuracy.
    The need of the hour is focus on SC and CR. SC is easy to improve .
    Low Accuracy in SC & CR indicates conceptual weakness . Yes acknowledge it.
    One question what books did you use to Grab your concepts and did you solve OG 12 in thorough ?
    If you have time postpone the test to somewhere between 3 weeks to a month .


Things to DO :

    If you have previously studied Mgmat SC , do it again . Take 3 days or so to complete it in thorough - 3 days.
    Grab Aristotle grail SC . Its concise and helps you to summarize your SC concepts - 1 day.
    It comes with a question bank , solve as many as you can - 2 days.
    Do the last 60 OG 12 SC problems again. Keep an error log. Start with a set of 10 problems. Time it.
    Mark your answers in an error log. review your answers with solutions using " Ultimate One Minute Explanations to OG12 SC " from Aristotle prep.
    Re do all those you got wrong. Also make sure you review the one's you got correct. Start with another set of 10 problems and repeat the process - 3 days.
    Go through Power score CR - 3 days
    Use OG 12 to solve first 20 and last 40 CR problems again using error log as explained above - 3 days
    Next 5 days do the remaining problems from SC and CR in OG 12 using error log - 5 days
    Take a Mgmat test again and analyse your score and find your weak areas topic wise in SC and CR.
    Review the concepts of your weak areas again.
    Take a Gmat Prep Software and gauge your score.

Note :

2-3 split method is explained in Mgmat SC.
Aristotle and e-gmat explain a 5-way method. Using Aristotle solution guide to OG 12 Sc problems makes you learn this method.


Thanks a lot...

I am following your advice completely.. .... I have around 2 weeks ... I if I dont get 700+ before the exam I will postpone it
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Status: Head Turner ! am I ?
Affiliations: RHCE , CCNA, MCSE and Now GMAT ;)
Joined: 29 Jul 2011
Posts: 139
Location: India
WE: Operations (Computer Hardware)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 108 [0], given: 28

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Please give me some advice urgently!! [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2011, 12:00
hey just curious, Did you give Gmat or any Mock CAT's ? whats were your scores like ?
_________________

_______________________________________________
Am i worth a Kudo ? Life's around GMAT for the Moment

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 18 Aug 2011
Posts: 18
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 3

Re: Please give me some advice urgently!! [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2011, 12:13
hoogly wrote:
hey just curious, Did you give Gmat or any Mock CAT's ? whats were your scores like ?



I have give 1 gmat prep 680 v 35 q 48
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 18 Aug 2011
Posts: 18
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 3

Re: Please give me some advice urgently!! [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2011, 12:18
But I dont know why am I not able to cross this 700 mark ...

I know the basics and I have done OG, I know the approaches to different type of questions - I have read and tried to apply a lot

1 think I feel completely exhausted when I reach verbal and then I start doing mistake which I might not do otherwise..

I dont know what to do .. I have postponed my exams for next month but I am still not sure if I can make 720+
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Status: Head Turner ! am I ?
Affiliations: RHCE , CCNA, MCSE and Now GMAT ;)
Joined: 29 Jul 2011
Posts: 139
Location: India
WE: Operations (Computer Hardware)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 108 [0], given: 28

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Please give me some advice urgently!! [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2011, 05:04
yuvrajpratap wrote:
But I dont know why am I not able to cross this 700 mark ...

I know the basics and I have done OG, I know the approaches to different type of questions - I have read and tried to apply a lot

1 think I feel completely exhausted when I reach verbal and then I start doing mistake which I might not do otherwise..

I dont know what to do .. I have postponed my exams for next month but I am still not sure if I can make 720+


Now you have more than a month for your Exam . Cool

1. Try Aristotle SC Grail and its new question bank with 100 questions based on meaning.
2. Review your Mgmat SC Notes.
3. Go through Power score CR book and consolidate your CR concepts again
4. Take out your OG 12 error log , do all the problems you got wrong in CR and SC again
5. Check the forum ( for my post ) . There is a post explaining non overlapping problems between SC and CR of OG12 and OG 11. There should be around 100 problems ( SC & CR ) in OG 11 that do not overlap with OG 12. Maintain an error Log.
6. After completion of OG 11 , open the error log which has all problems you got wrong. You should have reviewed them before. So do them again and try to get as many as possible right.

Trust me , You do not need anything for verbal apart from this ! You can sign up some mock tests since you have exhausted Mgmat or say grab Kaplan 2012 premier gmat edition for its CD. It has good sectional practice and 5-6 CATS online i guess. Use them to do only the verbal part and assess your verbal improvement. Use it during OG Phase.

Finally, 48 on Quant is not too high. Try to get it up to 50.
_________________

_______________________________________________
Am i worth a Kudo ? Life's around GMAT for the Moment

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 15 Apr 2011
Posts: 49
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 8

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Please give me some advice urgently!! [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2012, 22:03
How did things work out for you?... what was your strategy?... Did it work??
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 13 Jan 2012
Posts: 42
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 0

Re: Please give me some advice urgently!! [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2012, 21:27
1
This post received
KUDOS
yuvrajpratap wrote:

....I am aiming 720+

And I am doing gmatclub tests for quant.

My verbal fundamentals are not bad, but I know my weakness that I am not able to manage time in verbal section when I give full CAT - Hence I am planning to give more gmat cats.

after doing MGMAT and gmatclub I have 2 options remaining knewton and princeton (as kaplan dont sell "only" gmat cats)

I have to give gmat in like 15-20 days and my aim is 720+

My question : Which is better for me between knewton and princeton CATS ?

and any other suggestions to improve my scores from ~670 to 720+ my weakness is verbal 31-33 around.




OK, the intent of my post is neither to be nitpicky nor rude, but I urge you to consider this thought:

Your post above has at least a dozen (if not more!) grammatical errors; I've highlighted just a few. If you are serious about bringing home a 720+ score, then why not start by working on your daily use of the language? Read books / newspapers/ journals that will help you distinguish right grammatical construct from wrong. Use constructs you learn there in your daily transactions. Write essays, get them scrutinized / corrected by a grammar coach at a local school.

Given that you say "your verbal fundamentals are not bad", I think you're in denial. Let's start by correcting that. I recall seeing a post on this forum that listed a bunch of fiction/non-fiction books to read - that's not a bad course of action for you. And, yes, if possible shove your test date out by a couple months - at the least.

PS: please forgive grammatical errors in my post, if any :)
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 18 Aug 2011
Posts: 18
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 3

Re: Please give me some advice urgently!! [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2012, 22:30
fxsunny wrote:
yuvrajpratap wrote:

....I am aiming 720+

And I am doing gmatclub tests for quant.

My verbal fundamentals are not bad, but I know my weakness that I am not able to manage time in verbal section when I give full CAT - Hence I am planning to give more gmat cats.

after doing MGMAT and gmatclub I have 2 options remaining knewton and princeton (as kaplan dont sell "only" gmat cats)

I have to give gmat in like 15-20 days and my aim is 720+

My question : Which is better for me between knewton and princeton CATS ?

and any other suggestions to improve my scores from ~670 to 720+ my weakness is verbal 31-33 around.




OK, the intent of my post is neither to be nitpicky nor rude, but I urge you to consider this thought:

Your post above has at least a dozen (if not more!) grammatical errors; I've highlighted just a few. If you are serious about bringing home a 720+ score, then why not start by working on your daily use of the language? Read books / newspapers/ journals that will help you distinguish right grammatical construct from wrong. Use constructs you learn there in your daily transactions. Write essays, get them scrutinized / corrected by a grammar coach at a local school.

Given that you say "your verbal fundamentals are not bad", I think you're in denial. Let's start by correcting that. I recall seeing a post on this forum that listed a bunch of fiction/non-fiction books to read - that's not a bad course of action for you. And, yes, if possible shove your test date out by a couple months - at the least.

PS: please forgive grammatical errors in my post, if any :)


You are so right, wish I had accepted this fact earlier.

I gave gmat and got 640 q49 v28 -- I am actually bad at verbal, I never accepted this fact. For all those who are giving gmat and getting my kind of scores in verbal trust me you need to put in lot of effort

After taking a break of few months now I am again in the race I am going to start perparing from next week. This time I will do it differently.. My aim 750+ and I will do it this time :)
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 22 Sep 2011
Posts: 214
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GMAT 2: Q V
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 3

Re: Please give me some advice urgently!! [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2012, 01:09
I'd agree with the advice on focusing on your OG Error log, taking extra time on the problems you got wrong/struggled with. After doing that for a week or so, get back to a few CATs before test day. Best of luck!
Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 4877
Location: Pune, India
Followers: 1153

Kudos [?]: 5366 [0], given: 165

Re: Please give me some advice urgently!! [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2012, 22:26
Expert's post
yuvrajpratap wrote:
You are so right, wish I had accepted this fact earlier.

I gave gmat and got 640 q49 v28 -- I am actually bad at verbal, I never accepted this fact. For all those who are giving gmat and getting my kind of scores in verbal trust me you need to put in lot of effort

After taking a break of few months now I am again in the race I am going to start perparing from next week. This time I will do it differently.. My aim 750+ and I will do it this time :)


Let me quote you first: "My verbal fundamentals are not bad."
- I agree with you. You don't get V30 with 'bad' Verbal fundamentals. Mind you, Verbal fundamentals \neq Grammar fundamentals.
If you understand whatever you read, (2/3)rd of the Verbal section is already won. Open a good English daily and find out whether you understand most of the articles well. If you do, please don't crib about your English. CR and RC are based on understanding the written word, not on Grammar rules. It would be extremely unfair on the part of GMAC if Verbal was all about 'writing perfect English' since English is a second language for many people taking the test. That said, SC tests your grammar skills since it is important to write a 'decent passage' which others can understand, even if it is not perfect. So you do need to work on your Grammar skills but focus more on the big picture rather than individual Grammar constructs. Try to develop a feel for what is correct in a particular situation by reading extensively. Meanwhile, work on specific SC strategies e.g. focusing on the most common error types.
_________________

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Re: Please give me some advice urgently!!   [#permalink] 27 Feb 2012, 22:26
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
please, give me some advice on writing a resume. eybrj2 0 10 Dec 2012, 13:32
Experts publish their posts in the topic Hi just give me some advice mylifeaftergmat 4 29 Jul 2012, 09:19
Please give me your advice amik 1 01 Oct 2008, 06:58
Please give me some advices. changetheworld 0 03 Apr 2006, 00:10
Experts publish their posts in the topic Please give me some advice peterpan 6 16 Dec 2004, 04:34
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Please give me some advice urgently!!

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.