Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 17:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Please give your feedback on these essays

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 87

Please give your feedback on these essays [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2012, 06:56
"Since key personal traits that make a good leader are formed during one’s childhood and youth, formal training can only refine rather than cultivate true leaders.”

Explain what you think this quotation means and discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with it. Develop your position with reasons and/or specific examples drawn from history, current events, or your own experience, observations, or reading.

I agree to some extent with the argument that there are key personal traits that make a good leader, but I don't agree that these key personal traits are developed only during one's childhood and youth. Research shows that there are certain key personal traits that make a good leader. However, research has not confirmed that there are only a set of traits that make a good leader. The making of a leader happens with the various situations the person faces, and how he responds to the situation.

Different situations in life bring out different traits in a person. So, leaders are different in their ways of leadership and their ways of becoming a leader. A person may not be a leader in all types of situations in life and all types of roles he plays in life. So, there are no standard personal traits that make a good leader.

Secondly, let us explore if the personal traits are majorly developed during childhood and youth. As mentioned, I believe different situations bring out different traits in a person. This may happen at any point in one's life. Various examples in history show us that people who didn't show any leadership traits in their early years suddenly rise to a situation and lead the situation. It is more about the passion, empathy and the belief you have towards the situation. I don't quite agree that the traits are cultivated only in one's childhood. There are exceptional leaders who didn't show any leadership traits in childhood.

The last argument is whether leadership can be cultivated through formal training. As mentioned there are different styles of leadership. Through my experience, I agree that it is very difficult to cultivate certain forms of leadership through formal training. But, most forms of leadership can be cultivate with formal training.
Please give your feedback on these essays   [#permalink] 14 Jan 2012, 06:56