Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 21:25 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 21:25

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Please grade my AWA. Thanks so much! Kudos for review. [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Yeah -- I like a simple five paragraph outline.

I. Intro
II, III, IV -- Body Paragraphs
V. Conclusion

5-7 sentences per paragraph. You're writing a GMAT essay, not a thesis paper :-)

Good luck.

-Brian
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 393 [0]
Given Kudos: 204
Concentration: Operations, International Business
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V33
GMAT 3: 730 Q51 V38
GPA: 4
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
brianlange77 wrote:
Yeah -- I like a simple five paragraph outline.

I. Intro
II, III, IV -- Body Paragraphs
V. Conclusion

5-7 sentences per paragraph. You're writing a GMAT essay, not a thesis paper :-)

Good luck.

-Brian

Hi Brain
Can you please review this essay for me.

The article states that America is losing its competitive edge relative to other countries because some studies show that on average Americans spend over a quarter of their leisure time shopping. I find this logically in-convincing in several aspects.

First of all America losing its competitive edge relative to other countries is based on questionable assumption that This is happening only through shopping which uses only quarter of leisure time of Americans. Suppose there are other Causes of the America losing its competitive edge relative to other countries such as Economy growth of other countries are higher than the America due to their increase in production and growth in technology. This leads to some other cause rather than the spending time on shopping which is causing America to lose its competitive edge. Hence, This argument is not justified.

Secondly Author uses casual flaw, Where two incidents happen together, the author mistakes for one is the cause of other. Americans, Here, spend over a quarter of their leisure time shopping, and America losing its competitive edge relative to other countries, these two events are happening. The argument assumes that Americans spending on shopping is causing the America to loose its competitive edge over other nationalities. There by making the argument flaw.

Finally, The author conveys himself that shopping is not a productive activity.By stating that Americans spend quarter of their time shopping, instead of spending their time productively.Here, shopping in some cases can be a productive activity such as shopping of personal development materials, books, and more. Thereby, Leading to the fall of conclusion. Therefore the argument is defective.

In conclusion, The argument is flawed and defective, and the argument is not a strong argument.Because depending on the studies which show that Americans spend quarter of their leisure time on shopping and Americans are wasting time through frivolous consumption does not support the conclusion that Spending time on shopping is causing the America to lose its competitive edge relative to other countries. To strengthen the argument the author must, at very least , provide the assumption stated and correct the flaws mentioned above.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts