Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 11:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Please guide me ...

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 30

Please guide me ... [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2013, 15:52
Hi Experts ..This is my first post and I promise to be active here . To start with i need some expert advise on how to manage my studies ?
There seem to be a serious flaw in my study plan . :( ..

I took my first Mock today from ManhattanGMAT . Landed with a score-q37 (44%) , V23 (30%)-510

I feel shattered . I can't sleep properly after seeing no progress after ~ 2 months of serious study .

Could you please guide me from here . How do I prepare , I feel as if I need to go through all the topics one more time , unfortunately- I do not have the luxury to do so .

I want to do a serious study for 5-6 hours daily from now for the next 7 days . But I am confused from where to start . Could you please help me to lay out a plan . I am struggling with quant, to be honest . Material I have - All MGMAT guides .

Now, 1)how should I study for the next 14 days ?( Looks like I am equally bad in quant & Verbal)
2) What section to concentrate first ( verbal / Quant , or both )?
3) When to take the next test ?
4)Should I postpone the exam ? ( my target is 700+ and I have to write GMAT by 30th April under any circumstance.

I have invested a lot of money and time to prepare for GMAT ( plus, sacrificed my social life for 2 months ..I am feeling depressed ) ...

regards!
Attachments

MGMT_1.png
MGMT_1.png [ 20.78 KiB | Viewed 538 times ]

Last edited by gmatquant25 on 10 Sep 2014, 03:28, edited 1 time in total.
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern

Re: Please guide me ... [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2013, 22:08
rakeshd347 wrote:
Hi Mate

First of all don't loose hope and always fight back.
You scored 510 in your practise test and you are not happy with your quant score which is Q37 however I would say your verbal is your weak area V23. Suppose if you were to leave quant at the same level and improve verbal at V37 you know what would be your score……You will be standing near 630 mark my friend and then you can push from there a little bit more to pull it towards 700 mark.

I scored in my first official Gmat Q46 and V24 guess what was my score……580…..Now I gave my Gmat practise tests and improved and I scored Q49 and V37 and I am on 700 already.

So you need to keep the balance between the score trust me. If you were to score say Q50 and V23 then you might get to 610…..So improve your weak area first and Quant will come with practise once you will have confidence it will come.

Please KUDOS if my post helps

thanks mate ! .. you advise is much better than the instructors . I postponed the exam so that I could work on my weak areas "verbal".
Also, your link is very inspiring ..thank a lot !

I have one last question . I am doing section wise quizzes in verbal . Picking 25 random question - I am getting 70% accuracy in CR and 80% accuracy in SC , however , RC is pathetic - with just 40-50% . Could you suggest how to work on the verbal section . I have exam in 20 days from now.

thanks!
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1154

Kudos [?]: 5369 [1] , given: 165

Re: Please guide me ... [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2013, 23:07
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
gmatquant25 wrote:

thanks mate ! .. you advise is much better than the instructors . I postponed the exam so that I could work on my weak areas "verbal".

I have one last question . I am doing section wise quizzes in verbal . Picking 25 random question - I am getting 70% accuracy in CR and 80% accuracy in SC , however , RC is pathetic - with just 40-50% . Could you suggest how to work on the verbal section . I have exam in 20 days from now.

thanks!

Since you are not very keen on "instructor advice", I will not try to give you any.

All I will do is point out one thing.

There is a huge increase in your CR and RC (comparatively) accuracy in the last 15 days:
CR - 43% to CR - 80%
RC - 25% to RC - 40-50%

If this is the result of your efforts in the last 15 days, great but some of it could also be due to the difference between the pattern of a computer adaptive test and a static quiz! You may want to ensure that the quizzes you are taking have a mix of medium and high level questions if you are aiming for 700.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern

Re: Please guide me ... [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2013, 00:39
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
gmatquant25 wrote:

thanks!

Since you are not very keen on "instructor advice", I will not try to give you any.

All I will do is point out one thing.

There is a huge increase in your CR and RC (comparatively) accuracy in the last 15 days:
CR - 43% to CR - 80%
RC - 25% to RC - 40-50%

If this is the result of your efforts in the last 15 days, great but some of it could also be due to the difference between the pattern of a computer adaptive test and a static quiz! You may want to ensure that the quizzes you are taking have a mix of medium and high level questions if you are aiming for 700.

Thanks Karishma. I did not mean to to sound harsh on instructors ( you & and other experts 're infact GMATgurus :) ) . All I am trying to seek is- where should I concentrate more after the first Mock test . Rakesh pointed out that a score of 37+ in verbal can actually improve my score significantly is something that motivates me . Also, like you stated , I am doing the quizzes with mixed level of difficulties ( Average to Hard) . I am hoping to see some good improvement in verbal.

I have one question - My quant score was 37 , How bad is that? How much effort would it take to reach a 45+ mark ? Can I do it without Geometry ? For some reason I am not that comfortable with figures ( maybe not good in analyzing :( ).. Kindly give some insight . My target is to hit the 45+ mark in quant in next 2 weeks ..Possible /highly unlikely ?

regards!
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1154

Kudos [?]: 5369 [1] , given: 165

Re: Please guide me ... [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2013, 21:51
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
gmatquant25 wrote:
I have one question - My quant score was 37 , How bad is that? How much effort would it take to reach a 45+ mark ? Can I do it without Geometry ? For some reason I am not that comfortable with figures ( maybe not good in analyzing :( ).. Kindly give some insight . My target is to hit the 45+ mark in quant in next 2 weeks ..Possible /highly unlikely ?

regards!

A Q37 is a 44 percentile. That itself will give you an idea. If you are aiming for 700, Q37 will not do. You must go to Q45 and you know exactly what to do to get there - yes, I mean work on Geometry. For a Q45, you cannot afford to be weak in an area which could account for 6-7 questions.

Geometry isn't my favorite either. I dislike the 100s of theorems which give you the relation between various sides angels etc. But GMAT geometry has a lot more than that (and very few theorems to remember). First of all, co-ordinate geometry is simple and fun - you can often see the answer in a diagram. Also surface areas and volumes are formula oriented and nothing to worry about. Then there are some important but straight forward concepts like 30-60-90 triangle, similar triangles, polygons etc. Out of the 6-7 questions you might get, 4-5 are easy to get correct. The Veritas Geometry book covers all these topics and is great for a complete GMAT geometry review but since you don't have enough time to get it, you might want to make do with whatever book you have.

As for whether 45+ in Quant is possible - well, anything is possible. It all depends on the quality of time you put in. If you just gloss over things, there isn't much improvement I would expect. If you ensure that you understand the concepts well, you should see a lot of improvement.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Please guide me ... [#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2013, 04:38
Hi,
I am starting to prepare for the gmat but i am not able to figure out which material i should go for,either OG or Kaplan.
Please suggest me on the same and on the study plan i should follow asap.
Thanks
Re: Please guide me ...   [#permalink] 26 Apr 2013, 04:38