Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Oct 2014, 00:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Please Guide -Test Scores not improving !!! (Expert replies)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 5

Please Guide -Test Scores not improving !!! (Expert replies) [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2011, 08:11
Hi
Before I ask you all ceratin queries I want all of you to know

1) I have started preparing for paper in June.
2) I am working 5 days a week and 10 hours a day.
3) I get 15hrs in weekdays and 14 hrs on weekends to study.
4) I have my GMAT in next 3 weeks. (Target Score : 650+)
5) Almost covered 500-750 questions in each section cr,sc,rc,ds,ps and achieved desired result.
6) GMAT SCORES

16th July (MGMAT): 560(43M,24V)
7th August (GMATprep): 570(48M,21V)
5th September (MGMAT) : 620(46M,30V)
11th September (GMATprep) : 570(48M,21V) : was sleepy in verbal section
25th September (GMATprep) : 560(44M,23V) : here I got few questions wrong, compared with last few tests', in both sections but 4-5 questions incorrect in first 10 questions. Paper was also easy...

No matter how much I study , whatever I do to get 650+ score. I just couldn't achieve desired result.
7) I am not at all nervous on mock tests and all the time my paper completed in time.

Ok, I have covered all the portions seperately and these days I am revising all that I have learnt so far. Except RC section, I get 80-90% answers correct (on paper) in rest of the sections. Even in sectional tests, I get good scores. I did what I can do to improve myself but I guess I am lacking somewhere. Beside scores, I agree that I do get good scores on paper but somehow this consistency could not be maintained on computer screen.

I dont want to postpone my gmat date. I am going to take a week off before exam. And I am willing to do anything you guys suggest to improve my score. [highlight]My target score is 650+.[/highlight]

Because I get 3 hours a day, I cover either of the five subtopics (ds,ps,rc,cr,sc). So, from this week I have started out doing drills available online of 30mins for each section. I don't know if it will help or not. :/ But I guess I should keep every topic afresh as I haven't left with much time. And I am fed up revising concepts again & again.

I know this target can be achieved. I have read stories on this forum. PLEASE SUGGEST!!!
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Schools: ISB
WE 1: Engineer - Larsen & Toubro, ECC Division
WE 2: Faculty - T.I.M.E.
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 128 [1] , given: 66

Re: Please Guide -Test Scores not improving !!! (Expert replies) [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2011, 11:41
This post received
KUDOS
This problem is common among test takers. After a certain stage, the score stops improving irrespective of the number of hours put into studying. I faced the same problem before my second GMAT attempt.
:)
Fortunately, there's a solution.
The best way to improve is to strengthen your weak areas. You can do this by the following method of study:
QUANT
1. Spot three SPECIFIC areas which you are least comfortable with e.g. Geometry, Mixtures, Speed-Time etc.
2. Spend a week studying ONLY those areas and nothing else.
VERBAL
1. Spot the question format which you are least comfortable with e.g. SC or CR or RC
2. Study only that area for one week and nothing else. While studying, you can focus on sub-topics within the question format e.g. If you're studying SC, focus on Subject-Verb Agreement and Parallelism. If you're studying CR, focus on a specific question type such as Weaken, Strengthen or Mainpoint.

Do this for the coming week and write a prep-test. I'm sure your score will improve :)

I've tried this approach and it works. So I believe that you too will benefit from this.

Good luck!

Also, doing many problems will not help. The key is to learn as much as you can from every single problem that you do. I spend as much as 15 minutes on a single problem to learn as much as I can from it.

You will also find these articles very helpful:

http://www.manhattangmat.com/articles/e ... -part1.cfm
http://www.manhattangmat.com/articles/e ... -part2.cfm

http://www.manhattangmat.com/articles/error-log.cfm

http://www.manhattangmat.com/articles/a ... eports.cfm

http://www.manhattangmat.com/articles/two-week-prep.cfm

Mission: Be a force of good and make a positive difference to every life I touch!

From 650 to 710 to 750 - My Tryst With GMAT [Experience Thread]

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 5

Re: Please Guide -Test Scores not improving !!! (Expert replies) [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2011, 06:54
This post received
KUDOS
Hi Entwhistle,

This approach seems promising ...I think u r right ...I should work on quality rather than quantity ....will give gmat prep on this weekend ...let's see my new improved result :)
(fingers crossed).
Director
Director
Schools: ISB
WE 1: Engineer - Larsen & Toubro, ECC Division
WE 2: Faculty - T.I.M.E.
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 128 [0], given: 66

Re: Please Guide -Test Scores not improving !!! (Expert replies) [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2011, 07:18
asunshine wrote:
Hi Entwhistle,

This approach seems promising ...I think u r right ...I should work on quality rather than quantity ....will give gmat prep on this weekend ...let's see my new improved result :)
(fingers crossed).

All the best ;)

Mission: Be a force of good and make a positive difference to every life I touch!

From 650 to 710 to 750 - My Tryst With GMAT [Experience Thread]

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 5

Re: Please Guide -Test Scores not improving !!! (Expert replies) [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2011, 10:09
I scored 470 (42 m, 15v) :( what next....I am a fighter...I wont let this test lemme down.

In this week I gave tests and revised basic concepts of maths and sc ..scored something like this ....
600(47m,27v)
600(49m,23v)
610(47m,27v)

I dont know what happened on the real test. I was fine with both quant and verbal questions. When I was on last question I expected somewhat near 630 as verbal was real easy than what I gave on GMATPrep...RCs were also good.

This test is giving me real pain now... this was my second attempt to GMAT ....I knw this happens with some people but I wasnt nervous in the test nor I was thinking anything else.

As I am Indian, English is not my native language. I have studied this language throughout my school and college. I have 3.5 GPA and work in a reputed IT company with 2 yrs work-ex. What next ?? I still want to give this paper but I have read somewhere that there is no extraordinary improvements in score(30-40 points variation) unless odds are on ur side. I don't understand this logic and I don't care.

The only problem that I sense here that I m nt at all a good test taker. I cannot beat stress and failed to achieve desired score. I am suspecting this because I havent scored good on quant when I used to score good in mocks. Plus my score on verbal is also not a good indicator.

I am not furious but this getting onto my nerves. I am not asking for advice but sharing my experience.

But still if somebody wants to add into my preparation. U r most welcome.:)
asunshine
Re: Please Guide -Test Scores not improving !!! (Expert replies)   [#permalink] 15 Oct 2011, 10:09