Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Sep 2014, 12:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

PLEASE HELP - 440 Q29/V22

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 4

PLEASE HELP - 440 Q29/V22 [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2012, 04:16
Well took the gmat prep 1 test today b4 starting my prepartions for gmat, got the score that was expected..
Q29/V22 TOTAL-440

My only solace is in the fact that I have a lot of time to improve, would definately take this core to 750+
If the respected members can provide any suggestions to my plan, I would be grateful.

Well I am also preparing for C.A. exams, so i have whole 2 years for both..

I have been frequently coming to the forum and trying to customise my strategy

I have devided my prep into 3 phases..

PHASE 1- (I would like to work on my verbal first, as being non native I really dont have good English skills..)

July 2012 to Feb 2013- ( 3 Hours daily) for 8 months

FOR SC - Mgmat SC
POWERSCORE SC

FOR CR- POWERSCORE LR
MGMAT CR / PowerScore Gmat CR

FOR RC- MGMAT RC

Economist + New Yorker
Fiction books

For reading speed-
Triple Your Reading Speed by Wade E. Cutler
How to Read Better and Faster by Norman Lewis

For vocabulary-
Word Power Made Easy by Norman Lewis
30 Days to a More Powerful Vocabulary by Wilfred Funk
1100 Words You Need to Know by Muray Bromberg
Verbal advantage(if time as it is very comprehensive)

For grammar-
common errors in english usage
ENGLISH GRAMMAR WORKBOOK FOR DUMMIES
LITTLE GOLD GRAMMAR BOOK
WREN & MARTIN GRAMMAR

And OG verbal 12

QUANT- NO PRACTICE(The reason is though I didnt get the score, I think I can prepare for it quickly
and also I dont think I will be able to retain the tricks for 2 years)

END OF PHASE 1-Will definately like to see my verbal shooting to 30+

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PHASE 2-

June 2013 to Feb 2014( 3.5 hours daily) for 9 months

For verbal- Error log created in phase 1
Gmat pill for RC and e-gmat for SC and CR(if necessary)
Aristotle (if necessary)

For quant- MGMAT guide
MGMAT Maths Foundations
Kaplan Gmat workbook/Veritas Prep Guides(if necessary)
Veritas Prep Combinations & Probability
Jeff Sackmann's Extreme Challenge set / Ariel Goldberg's GMAT Quant Problems(If time)

END OF PHASE 2- I should be getting Q 35+/ V 35+
Will take GMAT Prep test

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PHASE 3-
May 15 to Sep 15 (10 hours daily) for 4 months

This is the last and most important phase, so will definately up the hardwork..
My C.A. exams will be over till now, and I woul be waiting for the results, which generally takes 2- 2.5 months..

Now , strategy in this phase will depend upon, the Gmat prep score I had taken in February 2014 (end of phase 2)

Books for this stage-
Veritas Prep Combinations & Probability
Jeff Sackmann's Extreme Challenge set
Ariel Goldberg's GMAT Quant Problems

LSAT RC passages
kaplan 800
GMATClub Tests

GMAT SCORE STRATEGY

=>700 Knweton
=>650 MGMAT/Veritas online prep
=>600 MGMAT/Veritas Full course program in USA

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Any suggestions will be appreciated.. Special request to bb.. :)

Last edited by rockstarsab on 18 Apr 2012, 06:12, edited 1 time in total.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 82

GMAT Tests User
Re: PLEASE HELP - 440 Q29/V22 [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2012, 05:56
- I think that your preparation is too long. You may get distracted easily in the process. Why don't you narrow down your Gmat preparation to 6-7 months? Focus is efficiency.
- CR: you have lots of books about strategy; therefore you should use them wisely because there may be conflict among books.
- Vocab: I'm a non native and I used to learn the vocab from vocab books. However, this way is boring and you will forget many words if you do not use them. Increase your reading time : fiction/newspapers instead . You can remember the words in context and the frequency of seeing them again will help you review without reading a long boring list of new words.
- I think Mc Grawhill book is not so good. I read it once and never return ...
Hope it helps.

Kudos!!!... If you think I help you in some ways....

Intern
Intern

Re: PLEASE HELP - 440 Q29/V22 [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2012, 06:26
Well I am also preparing for my C.A. exams also..
considering the weak verbal skills and the necessity for scoring 750+, made me formulate such a plan..
In India, the Norman Lewis books for vocab and reading are quite popular..
I will be reading the newspapers, magazines and fiction but I think using some vocabulary books give you an effect in a way that steroids have on body, as they may not be good for your body, but if you need to develop muscles in short time, they help you reach the target..
But all those muscles will sag if you dont workout regularly
So thats why I want to use these vocabs to give me some push, and after that I will practicing use them in my day to day conversation..
I dont want vocabs which will give me 4000 word that I will never be able to retain and use..
also they will have no benefit in gmat exams..

Thanks anyway..
Still seeking more response from experts.. :)
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 670 Q45 V38
GPA: 2.6
WE: Supply Chain Management (Consumer Electronics)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 13

GMAT Tests User CAT Tests
Re: PLEASE HELP - 440 Q29/V22 [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2012, 06:46
This post received
KUDOS
Studying that much for years? There's just not enough material for you to study and very shortly into that process you'll face fatigue and probably biased scoring due to repeat questions. Cut it down to several months. You can always take the exam again. If you have other academic obligations, do one thing at a time. In my opinion, the GMAT preparation process is such a commitment you do not want to focus on several things at a time. Pick a 3-4 month schedule and knock the GMAT out before you do anything else. You'll find that the majority of folks here (even the high scoring legends) do work hard but certainly will not exhaust themselves. 4-5 months is at the high end in my opinion.

Regarding your practice score, really and truly whether it's a 440 or 500 or 600, that score is useless if you didn't know the material in the first place. It is not a true representation of your ability. For example, I don't believe someone who has a 600 on their CAT will necessarily score higher than someone who has had a 440 coming in. If you didn't know the material in the first place, your score would be indicative of that. However, there's a lot that can be said of a low score. Preparation is key and again I think you'll do very well but please don't exhaust yourself. You won't be doing yourself a favor. Keep in touch! I hope you find GMATCLUB a resourceful place for your prep.

Don't let a low GPA destroy your dreams of a business education.

Intern
Intern

Re: PLEASE HELP - 440 Q29/V22 [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2012, 23:00
Thank you.. you are truly right, I will first finish my CA and then proceed towards Gmat.
thanks again :)
Re: PLEASE HELP - 440 Q29/V22   [#permalink] 20 Apr 2012, 23:00