Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 23:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

please help and move this thread to where its suppose to be

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

please help and move this thread to where its suppose to be [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2010, 22:26
Hi all, please move this thread to wherever it needs to be because I can't find the appropriate subforum to post onto.

I am really struggling right now because of....my cover letter and resume. I graduated from UCLA with a biology degree in 2008 and was planning on applying to dental schools, but recently I have a newfound interest in business, especially marketing and finance, that I have begin considering MBA as a potential career. I understand that in order to get into top schools I would need a good GMAT score and 2-4 years of work experience at least. So that's what I'm doing right now, looking for a job. I came across the Morgan Stanley's financial analyst position (or program) and I am very very interested. However, I do not have any econ background except that one micro-econ class I took for GE. All my previous experiences were pre-health related and they are all volunteers. Those volunteer experiences I've had did not involve anything remotely related to econ.

I asked my cousin who graduated from Moore's IMBA and is currently the student ambassador for Moore's about my situation and he gave me several pointers...
1. do some soul searching so you'll know if you will like business (if I can't find a job how can I be properly exposed to the business field to determine whether I like it or not?)
2. there are no wrong experiences, you just have to play the story right. (It seems to me that there is no way to tie my pre-health experience into business)

So my questions are:

1. how can I tie my pre-health courses and volunteer experience into econ and business? (The only thing I can think of is my biochem lab and other labs where large amount of data were needed and standard deviation and percent error were used to accept or reject certain hypotheses.)

2. What could I possibly have to put on my resume in order to be considered?

3. What does a financial analyst REALLY do? I couldn't find any clear definition on it.

Thank you very much for helping.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern

Re: please help and move this thread to where its suppose to be [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2010, 12:58
bump?
Current Student
Schools: Ross 2012
WE 1: 5 Years at Fortune 50 Company in Manufacturing
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 20

Re: please help and move this thread to where its suppose to be [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2010, 13:11
wynnshang wrote:
Hi all, please move this thread to wherever it needs to be because I can't find the appropriate subforum to post onto.

I am really struggling right now because of....my cover letter and resume. I graduated from UCLA with a biology degree in 2008 and was planning on applying to dental schools, but recently I have a newfound interest in business, especially marketing and finance, that I have begin considering MBA as a potential career. I understand that in order to get into top schools I would need a good GMAT score and 2-4 years of work experience at least. So that's what I'm doing right now, looking for a job. I came across the Morgan Stanley's financial analyst position (or program) and I am very very interested. However, I do not have any econ background except that one micro-econ class I took for GE. All my previous experiences were pre-health related and they are all volunteers. Those volunteer experiences I've had did not involve anything remotely related to econ.

I asked my cousin who graduated from Moore's IMBA and is currently the student ambassador for Moore's about my situation and he gave me several pointers...
1. do some soul searching so you'll know if you will like business (if I can't find a job how can I be properly exposed to the business field to determine whether I like it or not?)
2. there are no wrong experiences, you just have to play the story right. (It seems to me that there is no way to tie my pre-health experience into business)

So my questions are:

1. how can I tie my pre-health courses and volunteer experience into econ and business? (The only thing I can think of is my biochem lab and other labs where large amount of data were needed and standard deviation and percent error were used to accept or reject certain hypotheses.)

2. What could I possibly have to put on my resume in order to be considered?

3. What does a financial analyst REALLY do? I couldn't find any clear definition on it.

Thank you very much for helping.

To get into an MBA program you don't need to be in any particular field or job. So if you have a healthcare background, you can try healthcare. As long as you can get a good career progression in a decent company, you can be competitive. There as been people from Amgen, Pfiser, Johnson and johnson that are at top MBA programs.

That said As for trying to get into MS or GS, it would definitely help you odds to be in a traditional MBA feeder company, however your background may make that even more difficult than going into an MBA program.

Just take that into consideration.

As for what would help, managing projects/leading teams/designing marketing schemes are all skill that would be helpful in B-school. Also companies in HC would like managers with your expertise in biology.

Go UCLA.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Re: please help and move this thread to where its suppose to be [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2010, 13:21
I understand, but my pre-health experiences were strictly limited to volunteering and did not have anything to do with business. I can't seem to find a job because my resume is so poor and lack of content (previous work experience) and without a job my resume will continue to be this poor. It's a cycle.

I understand that I definitely need work experience before applying for business school so I'm just focusing on making my resume better and then look for a job.

I've given this a lot of thought but I still couldn't come up with anything on how to tie my pre-health volunteer experiences into business related terms. I think this is my major problem right now with my resume.

Thank you
Current Student
Schools: Ross 2012
WE 1: 5 Years at Fortune 50 Company in Manufacturing
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 20

Re: please help and move this thread to where its suppose to be [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2010, 13:39
wynnshang wrote:
I understand, but my pre-health experiences were strictly limited to volunteering and did not have anything to do with business. I can't seem to find a job because my resume is so poor and lack of content (previous work experience) and without a job my resume will continue to be this poor. It's a cycle.

I understand that I definitely need work experience before applying for business school so I'm just focusing on making my resume better and then look for a job.

I've given this a lot of thought but I still couldn't come up with anything on how to tie my pre-health volunteer experiences into business related terms. I think this is my major problem right now with my resume.

Thank you

Well I wouldn't worry too much about Pre-Health volunteering into Business related term because you need a JOB. Volunteering is an add-on. I think before thinking about B-school, you should find a way to get into some field. I don't think this forum would help you much in finding a job.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

MBA Admissions Consulting
Schools: University of Chicago, Columbia, Wharton, Stanford, Harvard, Cornell, NYU, Duke, Indiana
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 94 [0], given: 0

Re: please help and move this thread to where its suppose to be [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2010, 10:37
Hi Wynnshang,

I just responded to your question. Go ahead and check out your original thread or read my evaluation and advice on the Ask My MBA Admit thread. Do let us know if you have any further questions by clicking on Reply in the Ask My MBA Admit thread.

My MBA Admit also offers career counseling. This is an intense program wherein we engage in discussion about your professional strengths, career ambitions and industry/geographic preferences. Through these sessions, we help you focus on your preferred areas within your preferred function. Further, we also help you maximize your chances of employment with a proven targeted recruiting strategy. Email us at mbaconsult@MyMBAAdmit.com to find out more.

My MBA Admit
Khyati Soparkar, Lead Consultant
MBA Admissions Consultants
New York, NY

Contact us for a Free Initial Consultation

Just starting the MBA application process? Our Candidate Profiling and School Selection report is currently offered for $100 only! This 10-page report conducts a multidimensional profile evaluation, and provides you with a comprehensive list of business schools that match. Click to Find Out More!

MBAConsult@MyMBAAdmit.com

Read the My MBA Admit Blog

Follow My MBA Admit on Twitter and Facebook!

Re: please help and move this thread to where its suppose to be   [#permalink] 08 Feb 2010, 10:37