Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Aug 2014, 20:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Please help! Do I have any chance to get into these schools?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Please help! Do I have any chance to get into these schools? [#permalink] New post 16 May 2013, 06:31
Really need some guidance, appreciate if you guys can help=)

I took my undergraduate education in Singapore (a tiny little Asian city, barely a country);
Majored in Accounting and second majored in Finance;
Worked in a Big 4 auditing firm for 1.5 years as an auditor and found auditing/accounting is really not my cup of tea...
Switched career and currently working in a boutique credit research firm, doing research on Asian high yield bonds;
My long term career goal is to research on either equities or fixed income on the buy side.

My GPA is a shame, only 3.1 for all modules and maybe 3.2 for major courses; GMAT is 730+6;

I know I probably have little chance to get into a decent B-school, but it has been my dream to take an MBA from a good university in the States, so I decided to apply anyway. My only concern is my boyfriend (whom I'm gonna marry), who has a solid job here in Singapore and will not be able to go to the States with me for the next two years. This factor has prompted me to aim at only the best programs because of the huge sacrifice I may need to make.

Now I'm just wondering if these programs are still far too difficult for me to get in:

Chicago Booth, NYU Stern, Columbia, UM Ross, UV Darden and Georgetown

Thank you in advance!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
GMAT 1: 690 Q46 V39
GMAT 2: 710 Q42 V45
GPA: 2.8

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 1

Re: Please help! Do I have any chance to get into these schools? [#permalink] New post 16 May 2013, 08:47
Don't let anyone tell you that you don't have a chance -- anything can happen! Your GPA is not bad, either -- it's lower than most medians, but in many cases I think your GMAT score would make up for it (so long as it's pretty well balanced). As with other success stories here, a lot rests on your personal narrative and persuading adcoms that you bring to the table something valuable, something different from all others. Mind you, I was a 2.8 and 710 (with a low-ish quant score) and got into Ross and W/L at Booth... so again, anything's possible I suppose.

From easier to more difficult, my guesses in terms of your admission viability:
Georgetown ------- Ross ------- Darden -- Stern -- Booth/Columbia

I don't know much about CBS but I hear they love early decision applicants if your heart is set on that place.
Intern
Intern

Re: Please help! Do I have any chance to get into these schools? [#permalink] New post 16 May 2013, 17:48
ParkLane wrote:
Don't let anyone tell you that you don't have a chance -- anything can happen! Your GPA is not bad, either -- it's lower than most medians, but in many cases I think your GMAT score would make up for it (so long as it's pretty well balanced). As with other success stories here, a lot rests on your personal narrative and persuading adcoms that you bring to the table something valuable, something different from all others. Mind you, I was a 2.8 and 710 (with a low-ish quant score) and got into Ross and W/L at Booth... so again, anything's possible I suppose.

From easier to more difficult, my guesses in terms of your admission viability:
Georgetown ------- Ross ------- Darden -- Stern -- Booth/Columbia

I don't know much about CBS but I hear they love early decision applicants if your heart is set on that place.

Thanks Parklane for taking time to give your advises, sure I won't give up so easily :) Wish you all the best with the Booth admission!
Current Student
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
Schools: UCLA Anderson - Class of 2015
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 46

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Please help! Do I have any chance to get into these schools? [#permalink] New post 21 May 2013, 03:15
EmmaParsley wrote:

I took my undergraduate education in Singapore (a tiny little Asian city, barely a country);
Worked in a Big 4 auditing firm for 1.5 years as an auditor and found auditing/accounting is really not my cup of tea...
Switched career and currently working in a boutique credit research firm, doing research on Asian high yield bonds;
My long term career goal is to research on either equities or fixed income on the buy side.

My GPA is a shame, only 3.1 for all modules and maybe 3.2 for major courses; GMAT is 730+6;

I know I probably have little chance to get into a decent B-school, but it has been my dream to take an MBA from a good university in the States, so I decided to apply anyway. My only concern is my boyfriend (whom I'm gonna marry), who has a solid job here in Singapore and will not be able to go to the States with me for the next two years. This factor has prompted me to aim at only the best programs because of the huge sacrifice I may need to make.

Now I'm just wondering if these programs are still far too difficult for me to get in:

Thank you in advance!

Hi! Who told you that you have little chance to get to a BSchool? You have high GMAT, good work experience and GPA is only one factor, I think with high GMAT it doesn't have high value. You should apply and then see what happens. Just make sure you highlight your achievements in the essays. Good luck!

http://mbablogs.anderson.ucla.edu/mba_s ... kostenova/

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V49
GPA: 3.8
WE: Corporate Finance (Consulting)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: Please help! Do I have any chance to get into these schools? [#permalink] New post 21 May 2013, 23:25
Hi Emma,

Chances in b-schools depend on how well you have position yourself in application essays and interviews. For your information b-school adcoms give 30%-35% weightage to acads, GMAT, GPA & ECs. 60%-65% weightage is given to application essays and interviews. You have a decent GMAT & work experience, so I assume that you have lot to say and write about your achievements & other aptitudes. You must also be sensible while shortlisting b-schools with some ambitious and realistic b-schools in your list.

Let me know if you require any assistance in b-school selection or free profile evaluation. You may PM your details to have a detail discusison.

Regards
Erina

EmmaParsley wrote:

Thank you in advance!

GMAT-720
Undergrad- Top 5 college in India
MBA- Top 15 FT ranking b-school

Tuck Thread Master
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q V
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 67

Premium Member
Re: Please help! Do I have any chance to get into these schools? [#permalink] New post 28 May 2013, 06:11
I just want to add one thing - Make sure your career goal is challenging yet realistic. The other components of your application may be stellar, but if your career goal is unrealistic, from the school's perspective, it'll be riskier for the school to admit you since there is a higher probability that you may not be able to secure a job 1-3 months after graduation, which will impact the school's rankings where this factor is taken into account.
Intern
Intern

Re: Please help! Do I have any chance to get into these schools? [#permalink] New post 28 May 2013, 07:47
EmmaParsley wrote:

Thank you in advance!

Hello Emma

I was graduated from Singapore too.
my 1st degree is from NUID UCD(Ireland) by studying in Singapore branch. and 2nd degree which is Master of Business is from UON( Australia ).

Now, i'm preparing to sit exam for GMAT in Singapore for coming November. i'm trying this GMAT test to qualify for scholarships from NGOs and the University.

my plan is to get into National University of Singapore - NUS. it's ranking not too bad. it's one of the universities of top 100 around the world. you can check it out.

i'm just suggesting if u want to stick to Singapore, NUS is the best choice to get locally.

Believe in ur dreams & have a great passion :)

i'm just pointing out a Uni to check ..

and, may i know those Uni(s) that u mention up there are for distance studying? or on-campus?

because i'm interested for distance learning PhD which is Research Degree, too.

my backgrounds are from management & accounting Diplomas , Degree in Finance and Master in Business Admin.

Hope u can suggest me back too.

P.S: u can check SMU - Singapore Management University, too. for me, it's not in my list because of their high schools fees and unavailability of scholarship

Best Wishes
San Dera
Re: Please help! Do I have any chance to get into these schools?   [#permalink] 28 May 2013, 07:47