Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 09:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Please Help. Don't know where I stand.

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Concentration: Marketing, Other
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GMAT 2: 660 Q V
GPA: 3.64
WE: Accounting (Accounting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 65 [0], given: 76935

CAT Tests
Please Help. Don't know where I stand. [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2012, 20:28
Hi,

I am not sure how to judge my profile. I scored well on the GMAT, but I will have only three years of work experience at matriculation. My goal is to attend a high profile program, and my question for you is just how high profile can I get. Below is a summary of my application and a list of schools roughly ordered by rank. If you can, I would like to know where in the range of schools my application falls (if in the range at all).

GMAT: 760 with 49Q (85%) and 46V (99%)

GPA: 3.28 from Boston College, Majored in History with concentration on Neocolonialism in Latin America (so History with a fair amount of econ and international business thrown in).

Work Experience: Went to Portland, OR after college expecting to be mentored by and work for a independent hotel developer. Unfortunately because of the market I ended up just working at a hotel. I did oversee a department with 20 reports and run the hotel without supervision every night from 3-11pm (so some leadership experience to salvage from that).
I left that job and bounced around for a few months before getting a job in the finance dept with a very large but also very local commercial real estate company. I then moved to a third commercial real estate company and am currently doing new media marketing for them.

Extra C: I am very active, but mostly in independent type activities. I am a distance runner, I throw pottery, I freedive and spearfish, and do long distance kayak expeditions and deep sea kayak fishing. I don't think I'm uninteresting, but I don't have much to show in the way of club/organization leadership.

Why Business school: I come from a family of entrepreneurs in Latin America (my mother is Nicaraguan, but of Irish decent), and I would like to get back to my passion, which is thinking about the inequalities of that region. I am a career switcher who wants to study social enterprise and entrepreneurship so that I can be equipped to make large scale impacts raising up certain populations in Latin America.

So where do you think I might fall in the list below, and where would I fall if I were to wait and spend the next year working for a well know non-profit or social enterprise? Starting my own small social enterprise?

NYU
UCLA
UNC
Texas
USC
Georgetown
Boston U
Wake Forest
U Washington (Foster)
George Washington (DC)
Fordham

Thanks for any insight you can shed.

Best,

John
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Please Help. Don't know where I stand. [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2012, 13:16
Expert's post
jpatcourtney wrote:
Hi,

I am not sure how to judge my profile. I scored well on the GMAT, but I will have only three years of work experience at matriculation. My goal is to attend a high profile program, and my question for you is just how high profile can I get. Below is a summary of my application and a list of schools roughly ordered by rank. If you can, I would like to know where in the range of schools my application falls (if in the range at all).

GMAT: 760 with 49Q (85%) and 46V (99%)

GPA: 3.28 from Boston College, Majored in History with concentration on Neocolonialism in Latin America (so History with a fair amount of econ and international business thrown in).

Work Experience: Went to Portland, OR after college expecting to be mentored by and work for a independent hotel developer. Unfortunately because of the market I ended up just working at a hotel. I did oversee a department with 20 reports and run the hotel without supervision every night from 3-11pm (so some leadership experience to salvage from that).
I left that job and bounced around for a few months before getting a job in the finance dept with a very large but also very local commercial real estate company. I then moved to a third commercial real estate company and am currently doing new media marketing for them.

Extra C: I am very active, but mostly in independent type activities. I am a distance runner, I throw pottery, I freedive and spearfish, and do long distance kayak expeditions and deep sea kayak fishing. I don't think I'm uninteresting, but I don't have much to show in the way of club/organization leadership.

Why Business school: I come from a family of entrepreneurs in Latin America (my mother is Nicaraguan, but of Irish decent), and I would like to get back to my passion, which is thinking about the inequalities of that region. I am a career switcher who wants to study social enterprise and entrepreneurship so that I can be equipped to make large scale impacts raising up certain populations in Latin America.

So where do you think I might fall in the list below, and where would I fall if I were to wait and spend the next year working for a well know non-profit or social enterprise? Starting my own small social enterprise?

NYU
UCLA
UNC
Texas
USC
Georgetown
Boston U
Wake Forest
U Washington (Foster)
George Washington (DC)
Fordham

Thanks for any insight you can shed.

Best,

John

You sound like a great guy and I think your Nicaraguan background will help differentiate you. However, I would like to see more leadership and impact in your profile. Leading a 20-person staff of a hotel to just make sure the hotel operates through your shift is not as powerful as if you had led the hotel through a change in operations that resulted in an improvement in ranking or occupancy rates etc. Your social entrepreneurship goals are also difficult to claim without some connection to that field (which, from the lack of mention, it appears you don't yet have). If you can clarify your goals, prove your connection and commitment to them, and bring evidence of leadership, then you can certainly stand a chance at the programs you mentioned, but without these (as the profile for now suggests), I would have to lower those expectations to possibly include the bottom 7 of the program list you provided.

Regards,
Jennifer Bloom, CPRW
jbloom@accepted.com
310-815-9553

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Concentration: Marketing, Other
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GMAT 2: 660 Q V
GPA: 3.64
WE: Accounting (Accounting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 65 [0], given: 76935

CAT Tests
Re: Please Help. Don't know where I stand. [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2012, 13:45
Hey Jennifer,

Thanks a lot for the thorough and thoughtful reply. You sound like a great gal yourself :wink:

Your advice and critique is consistent with what I have heard from others, so that is comforting.

I was with the hotel company from the time they purchased the hotel to when they redeveloped it to when they reopened, and the property did move from the worst hotel in the city to the 2nd highest rated on TripAdvisor and NOIs increased 70% so clearly, based on your advice, that will be something I stress over the day to day management.

I will also look to fill the lack of social enterprise work with the odds and ends non-profit work I've down in Central America.

Not much to do about the lack of leadership outside of work though, was never much of a club guy.

Thanks again for your help Jennifer.

John
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Please Help. Don't know where I stand. [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2012, 01:17
Expert's post
jpatcourtney wrote:
Hey Jennifer,

Thanks a lot for the thorough and thoughtful reply. You sound like a great gal yourself :wink:

Your advice and critique is consistent with what I have heard from others, so that is comforting.

I was with the hotel company from the time they purchased the hotel to when they redeveloped it to when they reopened, and the property did move from the worst hotel in the city to the 2nd highest rated on TripAdvisor and NOIs increased 70% so clearly, based on your advice, that will be something I stress over the day to day management.

I will also look to fill the lack of social enterprise work with the odds and ends non-profit work I've down in Central America.

Not much to do about the lack of leadership outside of work though, was never much of a club guy.

Thanks again for your help Jennifer.

John

Leadership is not just club involvement: it can be anything in which you get people moving forward on a cause that is important to you. Read this blog post to get inspired; it could have been written just for you!

Regards,
Jennifer Bloom, CPRW
jbloom@accepted.com
310-815-9553

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog