Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 14:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Please help evaluate & group programs

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Dartmouth (Tuck) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GMAT 2: Q V0
GPA: 3.66
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 78 [0], given: 58

Premium Member
Please help evaluate & group programs [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2011, 05:13
Hello, hoping you could help me to
1: Evaluate my prospects
2: Narrow my focus on the schools below

I have a great career going in one of the tier two (Deloitte, Accenture, IBM, KPMG, etc) firms in a management consulting practice but have been thinking about an MBA since I graduated from college.

My employer has a tuition reimbursement program for high performers like me and I wish to pursue a graduate degree to increase my skills and move from my current human capital focus to more strategic consulting work. I would like to transition to the McKinsey/BCG/Bain tier but will potentially need to return to my employer to fulfill the requirements of the scholarship program.

I’m definitely an intuitive-verbal-communicator type and had to do some serious studying to get my GMAT quant score up.

Demographics:
Female, 27 – 28 at matriculation (June, 1984)
Caucasian, of Italian decent (immigrant parents)

GMAT: 710 (48Q,40V) Worth retaking? Unlikely I'll ever be a 740+ type

Education:
BA English Literature & Creative Writing, Liberal Arts School, 2006 with Minors in Economics & Classical History
GPA: 3.66, with strong grades in all quant classes
• Study Abroad: 7 months in Rome, Italy with coursework in Classics, History, Italian Language, Art History
• Lots of University Extra Curriculars in music, sports, community volunteering

Work Experience
4.5 years (5.5 at matriculation) at major consultancy’s management consulting practice
• Specialization in Human Capital consulting
• Promoted from analyst to consultant to manager in 4.5 years (extra fast-track)
• Rated in top 30% FY09, FY10, top 5% FY11
• Projects included ERP, M&A (pre acquisition readiness), strategic planning governance
• Lots of formal and informal leadership experience (consultant and client direct reports, volunteer leadership roles, etc)
Work Extra Curriculars
• Lead new hire integration program
• On recruiting team for big 10 university
• 2 Pro Bono projects with local environmental non-profit (talent strategy, strategic planning)

Non-work extra curriculars
• Accounting Aid - tax preparation for low income residents
• Community mentorship program for a teen girl with Asperger's syndrome

The schools on my firm’s scholarship program are this:
Columbia
Darden
Fuqua
Goizueta
Haas
Harvard
Kellogg
Sloan
Stern
Stanford
Ross
Booth
Wharton
Tuck

Clearly there are some I’ve got no shot at, but could you help me group/prioritize into mega-stretch, stretch, solid chance?

Thanks much in advance!

GMAT Story http://gmatclub.com/forum/100-point-improvements-they-are-possible-124223.html
Profile/School Status http://gmatclub.com/forum/2012-profiles-w-admit-dings-results-no-discussion-116595-40.html#p1028789

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 0

Re: Please help evaluate & group programs [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2011, 10:59
Expert's post
Hello LadyRoadWarrior, thanks for your question.

In terms of your GPA and GMAT (I do not think you need to retake), you could apply to any program. It is the quality of your essays that will determine your success. Your competitiveness will come down to the quality of your leadership experience both in and out of the office. Can you draw upon “moments” when you truly led: influenced individuals and organizations, drove results, took initiative? Your extracurricular activities seem solid.

In terms of your post-MBA goals, can you demonstrate to the admissions committees that your desired career path necessitates an MBA? If you want to go back to consulting (albeit at a higher tier firm), what are the specific gaps that stand between in your way? How does business school directly address those gaps? The better you can answer these questions, the more compelling your story will be.
In terms of programs, as I said, your quants give you a shot at any program. The big 3 might be long reaches, with programs like Columbia, Sloan, and Kellogg near reaches. I’d say Darden, Fuqua, Ross should be your sweet spot. Programs like Goizueta would be safer choices. I haven’t addressed every school (you named a lot!), but hopefully this helps.

Best of luck,
Brian

Brian Eng
Senior Consultant
mbaMission

646-485-8844

Blog: http://www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insiders Guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php