Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Sep 2014, 10:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Please help evaluate my situation

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Please help evaluate my situation [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2010, 02:12
Hi,

First I want to thank everyone for the feedback.

My stats:
GMAT: 710, 47Q, 40V, 6AWA
GPA: 3.4 from a top 40 school in Economics

I'm targeting the top schools USC and Texas as my top choices. I was also looking at UNC because they do not require an accounting bachelors.

I'm worried that my GPA is on the average to low side, but hoping the GMAT score makes up for it.

I also want to apply to some other programs, such as Michigan and Notre Dame, but they require prerequisites before I can apply. Because of this, I started to try and finish the prerequisites. Unfortunately, I have not done too well in the prerequisite classes (Cs in intermediate 1 and cost accounting, and I'm hoping for a B in intermediate 2). I am starting auditing, tax, and I am retaking intermediate 1. I want to know 1) do I need to send out these transcripts to every school, and 2) how much does this hurt my chances of getting into these programs?

The advice and feedback are greatly appreciated.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
SVP
SVP
Schools: Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Followers: 72

Kudos [?]: 688 [0], given: 548

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Please help evaluate my situation [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2010, 04:26
acctngnoob wrote:
Hi,

First I want to thank everyone for the feedback.

My stats:
GMAT: 710, 47Q, 40V, 6AWA
GPA: 3.4 from a top 40 school in Economics

I'm targeting the top schools USC and Texas as my top choices. I was also looking at UNC because they do not require an accounting bachelors.

I'm worried that my GPA is on the average to low side, but hoping the GMAT score makes up for it.

I also want to apply to some other programs, such as Michigan and Notre Dame, but they require prerequisites before I can apply. Because of this, I started to try and finish the prerequisites. Unfortunately, I have not done too well in the prerequisite classes (Cs in intermediate 1 and cost accounting, and I'm hoping for a B in intermediate 2). I am starting auditing, tax, and I am retaking intermediate 1. I want to know 1) do I need to send out these transcripts to every school, and 2) how much does this hurt my chances of getting into these programs?

The advice and feedback are greatly appreciated.

3.4 is not on the lower end. (I think - around 3.5 makes you pretty competitive for GPA) As long as your grades on the business-related classes (if any) are solid and you can demonstrate that you can handle the graduate level courses, you should be competitive for the top programs with your GPA and GMAT score.

Your grades on the pre-requisites may impact your chances unless you can explain in the optional essay on why your grades are low. (I wouldn't do the optional essay to explain the low grades unless you have a real good reason. Excuses won't cut it, if that is the case) And yes, when schools ask for all the transcripts, they are asking for all the transcripts. (unless you took those pre-reqs at another school after graduating from college - i.e.: community college on non-credit basis. But as long as the credits are transferable, you need to send the transcripts to the school)

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Please help evaluate my situation [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2010, 22:31
I really appreciate the response nink.

If I hadn't taken those prereq accounting courses, do you think I'd have a good shot at those top schools?

I forgot to mention that I already have my bachelors, so I have been going to random colleges to try and finish my prereqs.

I had taken a few business classes, and two accounting classes in my undergrad. Unfortunately, I was really lazy in undergrad, and took most of my business classes on a credit/no credit basis. I got credit in all of them... and it was a very poor decision because I believe I ended up with As in all of the ones I did that in, but no one's ever going to know or care to know about that.

I took 6 business classes, three for grade: A, A, B, then 3 credits.
Took intro to financial accounting and got a credit, A- in intro to managerial accounting.

I was also looking at UNC's MACC program, and I thought it was weird that they had a 12 unit hour cutoff to where you are not eligible for admission unless you've had less than that. If I apply to that school, would I be eligible even though I've taken these prereqs at different schools? How are they going to be able to find out that I took these classes if I don't send them?

I appreciate any and all responses.
SVP
SVP
Schools: Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Followers: 72

Kudos [?]: 688 [0], given: 548

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Please help evaluate my situation [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2010, 04:21
Technically they can't find out on their own (whether you took any classes outside your undergrad - unless those credits were transferred to your undergrad institution and it shows up on your transcript as transferred credits), and I don't think MAcc schools request Kroll like MBA programs.

I think your app will be competitive as long as you can clearly explain your goals and reasons for the MAcc degree and why you can handle the course work.

Now whether those grades from undergrad institution will be scrutinized or not, depends on other applicants and their profile. If they are very competitive with good scores and etc, then it will get more selective.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: Please help evaluate my situation   [#permalink] 02 Sep 2010, 04:21