Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 11:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Please help, I'd do the same for you! McCombs vs. G-Town

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: Q V
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Please help, I'd do the same for you! McCombs vs. G-Town [#permalink] New post 10 Mar 2013, 10:30
Paying in-state tuition in Texas. Already have a law degree from UT.

MSB or McCombs:

My goal is to land a top consulting or i-banking job. I know they are two different paths, but my goal is to see a lot of companies post-graduation.

I think I-banking is more that route - but I am an attorney, so I think consulting firms might be attracted to that.

Here in Texas - one or two years of consulting or i-banking in NYC opens up every job in the world in Texas finance. thoughts?

THANK YOU!!
3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 28 [3] , given: 23

Re: Please help, I'd do the same for you! McCombs vs. G-Town [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2013, 11:00
This post received
KUDOS
Coyote77 wrote:

MSB or McCombs:

My goal is to land a top consulting or i-banking job. I know they are two different paths, but my goal is to see a lot of companies post-graduation.

I think I-banking is more that route - but I am an attorney, so I think consulting firms might be attracted to that.

Here in Texas - one or two years of consulting or i-banking in NYC opens up every job in the world in Texas finance. thoughts?

THANK YOU!!

I'll be straight with you. You've been fed a line of bull. One or two years consulting/banking will definitely not open up every job in the world in Texas finance. In fact, a few years of I-banking/consulting won't likely open more doors than you would have at b-school. Consulting/banking recruiters are masters at selling the exit opps, but the truth is, if you really want to exit to a c-suite job with a big company, you will probably need to put in enough time to make director/partner at your consulting firm and your chances thin dramatically as you go down from mbb to lower tier firms. If you want a mid level management job, well then what is even the point of going into consulting/banking as you can land those jobs right out of B-school? And these companies will be coming to recruit you, rather than you having to do all the footwork.

So if you already know you want to move into corporate finance, why not just go straight there from your MBA?

But if you are dead set on it banking/consulting than I-banking makes more sense if your long term goal is corporate finance. It seems like most consultants exit to things other than finance - business development, strategy, operations, product management etc. Though I'm sure some do move into finance I just don't see how consulting is the door to it. Bankers on the other hand tend to move into finance roles, though they can certainly move into other roles too.

I haven't looked into Georgetown much so I can't say which would be better. Given that McCombs is generally a little higher ranked I'd guess it would offer a slightly higher chance of getting a top consulting/banking job.

That being said, I wouldn't say that either school gives you a particularly great shot at the top tier firms. That is, if you are talking about the m/b/b and goldman/jpm tier. IF you are talking about Deloitte or citibank, yeah you might have a good shot from either school. But I also don't think that they will open the same doors as those more prestigious firms would.

Last point cause this is getting long. Your goals and background make it seem like you aren't quite sure what you are doing. You're an attorney, who either wants to go into i-banking or consulting (two very different paths which are completely different than law) with the goal of working in finance after a year or two. Just seems very muddled, there is nothing really tying things together.
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 31

Re: Please help, I'd do the same for you! McCombs vs. G-Town [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2013, 13:19
Check the job reports re: placements
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE: Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 193 [0], given: 628

Premium Member
Re: Please help, I'd do the same for you! McCombs vs. G-Town [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2013, 14:24
Do you want to stay in Texas long-term? If so, I'd be leaning towards McCombs.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 1

Reviews Badge
Re: Please help, I'd do the same for you! McCombs vs. G-Town [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2013, 18:03
I would lean towards McCombs for better job opportunities.
Current Student
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q46 V35
GRE 1: 318 Q160 V158
GRE 2: 318 Q160 V158
GPA: 3.21
WE: Business Development (Aerospace and Defense)

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 2

Re: Please help, I'd do the same for you! McCombs vs. G-Town [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2013, 18:14
McCombs.
Intern
Intern

Re: Please help, I'd do the same for you! McCombs vs. G-Town [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2013, 06:16
Thanks, all!!

Kasonhills - I've been a finance attorney in Dallas for 3 years, working with equity funds. If you want to climb in TX finance and not be a commercial lender, there aren't many places to start. I see more senior level that came down from new york than moved up the ranks from analyst or associate in a boutique. There aren't many places where you are being fed a steady stream of companies everyday to review. It definitely helps to know the Texas employers - and being a Texas finance attorney helps with this.

kasonhills wrote:
Coyote77 wrote:

MSB or McCombs:

THANK YOU!!

I'll be straight with you. You've been fed a line of bull. One or two years consulting/banking will definitely not open up every job in the world in Texas finance. In fact, a few years of I-banking/consulting won't likely open more doors than you would have at b-school. Consulting/banking recruiters are masters at selling the exit opps, but the truth is, if you really want to exit to a c-suite job with a big company, you will probably need to put in enough time to make director/partner at your consulting firm and your chances thin dramatically as you go down from mbb to lower tier firms. If you want a mid level management job, well then what is even the point of going into consulting/banking as you can land those jobs right out of B-school? And these companies will be coming to recruit you, rather than you having to do all the footwork.

So if you already know you want to move into corporate finance, why not just go straight there from your MBA?

But if you are dead set on it banking/consulting than I-banking makes more sense if your long term goal is corporate finance. It seems like most consultants exit to things other than finance - business development, strategy, operations, product management etc. Though I'm sure some do move into finance I just don't see how consulting is the door to it. Bankers on the other hand tend to move into finance roles, though they can certainly move into other roles too.

I haven't looked into Georgetown much so I can't say which would be better. Given that McCombs is generally a little higher ranked I'd guess it would offer a slightly higher chance of getting a top consulting/banking job.

That being said, I wouldn't say that either school gives you a particularly great shot at the top tier firms. That is, if you are talking about the m/b/b and goldman/jpm tier. IF you are talking about Deloitte or citibank, yeah you might have a good shot from either school. But I also don't think that they will open the same doors as those more prestigious firms would.

Last point cause this is getting long. Your goals and background make it seem like you aren't quite sure what you are doing. You're an attorney, who either wants to go into i-banking or consulting (two very different paths which are completely different than law) with the goal of working in finance after a year or two. Just seems very muddled, there is nothing really tying things together.
Intern
Intern

Re: Please help, I'd do the same for you! McCombs vs. G-Town [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2013, 06:17
Do I need to go to career services to get this, or is someone collecting it online?

Redtailedhawk wrote:
Intern
Intern

Re: Please help, I'd do the same for you! McCombs vs. G-Town [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2013, 06:18
King Falcon - I'd like to return to Texas. But, honestly, most senior guys that I see as a Texas finance attorney started in NYC.

kingfalcon wrote:
Do you want to stay in Texas long-term? If so, I'd be leaning towards McCombs.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 23

Re: Please help, I'd do the same for you! McCombs vs. G-Town [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2013, 06:32
Sorry I'm not quite sure what you are trying to say. Climbed up the ranks from analyst or associate at a boutique i-bank? You aren't being very clear. If that's what you are talking about then that wasn't my point at all.

My point is you would have a better shot of getting a solid corporate finance job straight from your MBA than you would getting into a top i-bank or consulting firm from McCombs or Georgetown and then trying to exit into the finance job you want. Partly because those two schools don't place well with the top tier consulting firms/banks, but also because you are overestimating the ease of exiting.

Yes, you've seen that there are ex-consultants at high levels, but given the ARMY of people they churn through the consulting system year after year (they hire armies of MBAs, and turnover is very high as 80-90% get leave after 2-3 years, only to be replaced by fresh faced MBAs), of course some are going to end up in the executive suite.

The reality is, a lot of the ex-consultants I have known end up in a comparable place in many industries as other MBAs who never went into consulting at all: most end up in middle to mid-senior management.

Surely you see that you can't construct a sweeping generalization (that 1 to 2 years in i-banking or consulting will open any door) just based on your interactions at work.

Coyote77 wrote:
Thanks, all!!

Kasonhills - I've been a finance attorney in Dallas for 3 years, working with equity funds. If you want to climb in TX finance and not be a commercial lender, there aren't many places to start. I see more senior level that came down from new york than moved up the ranks from analyst or associate in a boutique. There aren't many places where you are being fed a steady stream of companies everyday to review. It definitely helps to know the Texas employers - and being a Texas finance attorney helps with this.

kasonhills wrote:
Coyote77 wrote:

MSB or McCombs:

THANK YOU!!

Current Student
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE: Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 193 [0], given: 628

Premium Member
Re: Please help, I'd do the same for you! McCombs vs. G-Town [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2013, 14:27
Coyote77 wrote:
Do I need to go to career services to get this, or is someone collecting it online?

Redtailedhawk wrote:

McCombs: https://www.mccombs.utexas.edu/MBA/Full ... stics.aspx
Georgetown: http://msb.georgetown.edu/sites/msb/fil ... .23.11.pdf
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 67

Kudos [?]: 717 [0], given: 116

Premium Member
Re: Please help, I'd do the same for you! McCombs vs. G-Town [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2013, 20:32
As far as prestige and job opportunities are concerned, I think MCombs is probably quite ahead of Georgetown...

Did you find this post helpful?... Please let me know through the Kudos button.

Thanks To The Almighty - My GMAT Debrief

GMAT Reading Comprehension: 7 Most Common Passage Types

2 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 311 [2] , given: 166

Premium Member
Re: Please help, I'd do the same for you! McCombs vs. G-Town [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2013, 05:33
This post received
KUDOS
Don't over think this one.

McCombs reputation > Georgetown reputation
McCombs tuition < Georgetown tuition

Winner: McCombs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fWvub_WBho

Re: Please help, I'd do the same for you! McCombs vs. G-Town   [#permalink] 14 Mar 2013, 05:33