Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Sep 2014, 16:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Please help :( I failed the GMAT (420)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 6

Please help :( I failed the GMAT (420) [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2011, 08:24
Hi Everyone,
I took the GMAT back in July and scored a 420 (35 percentile in Verbal and 10 Percentile in Math). I did take the Kaplan course which is really helpful, and I study seriously for about a month, averaging about 4 to 6 hours a day. I was scoring between 550 and 620 on my CATs from Kaplan. I felt ready and pretty confident and to this day, i just dont know what happened and why i failed. I have never failed anything in my life and it was quiet devastating for me since I couldn't get in to Graduate school and lost a year of my life because of the GMAT. I am planning on taking it around June 10th so i have 5 weeks. I am really hoping I will beat the GMAT this time, but I am just not motivated and feel very discouraged. I just feel that I cant pass it and get the score i need. I consider myself as a smart person but the GMAT makes me feel like a dummy and kills my confidence. I always screw up the Quantitative portion which i don't understand, i have always been good in math. Please help me and give me any insights you might have:)
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 17

Re: Please help :( I failed the GMAT (420) [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2011, 13:09
Did you finish the GMAT on test day? Leaving answers blank will wreck your score

Posted from my mobile device Image
Intern
Intern

Re: Please help :( I failed the GMAT (420) [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2011, 13:14
Hi,
Yes I did finish the exam on time, especially verbal i had few minutes left. I really screwed it up in the quantative portion which led to my very low score.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 17

Re: Please help :( I failed the GMAT (420) [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2011, 19:13
what was the split?

To be honest, I think the brutal truth is that you have not mastered the basic material. Many people have found success using the MGMAT series, including myself. 5 weeks is a decent amount of time to rebound.

Have you been taking CATs? they along with that silly laminated pad provide the best test taking experience. I am sure nerves had a big role in it as well, explaining the discrepancy between Kaplan scores and actual. Although it is going to be tough, don't let your current situation get you down. Go back and review every single question you get wrong in problem sets or OG or whatever and do 5 problems like it. MGMAT is good with this as they refer to problems that are of one type (ie. geometry, triangles, 30-60-90, etc.) in the backs of their books. Good for isolated work.

Good luck!
Intern
Intern

Re: Please help :( I failed the GMAT (420) [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2011, 21:32
Hi,
Thanks for replying to my post. Well I scored in the 10th Percentile in the quantitative which honestly I don't understand at all, I have never scored that low and in the 40th percentile for Verbal. Thanks for your honestly, I completely agree with you. I haven't mastered the basics, which is why today I started reviewing them. I have access to Kaplan, and they have all these workshops for the material you need to know.
Yes I did take quiet few CATS, I scored 490 for my diagnostic but after few weeks of studying, my last score was 620.
I am thinking of studying around 40 hours a week.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.54
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 23 [1] , given: 0

Re: Please help :( I failed the GMAT (420) [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2011, 02:17
This post received
KUDOS
I definitely agree. The MGMAT series of math books will cover EVERYTHING you need starting from the basics and working step by step into advanced strategies. Pair this with the Official Guide and its awesome (albeit a little expensive at ~100 dollars for everything).
Intern
Intern

Re: Please help :( I failed the GMAT (420) [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2011, 06:49
Hey:)
I have the official guide 12th edition, should i get the edition for verbal and quantitative?
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Beta Gamma Sigma, Omicron Delta Epsilon, Toastmasters Intl, HHonors
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 42 [1] , given: 27

Re: Please help :( I failed the GMAT (420) [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2011, 07:00
This post received
KUDOS
Dude, don't worry. There's always hope, especially from this awesome forum.

(1) Use this to plan the books you use: best-gmat-books-77703.html

(2) Then get a study plan going: gmat-study-plan-start-your-gmat-journey-80727.html

(3) Make sure you have a good error log: gmat-error-log-86232.html

Come back to this forum as much as you can for one-off questions, study tips, tutorials, and just social support in general. I'm really grateful for it, and you will be too.

= = = = = = = = = =

If you liked my post, please consider a Kudos for me. Thanks!

Intern
Intern

Re: Please help :( I failed the GMAT (420) [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2011, 07:17
THanks for the reply,
I started studying yesterday, and plan on taking the test around mid-June. So i have 6 weeks to prepare for it. I really hope I will do good this time.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 27 [1] , given: 17

Re: Please help :( I failed the GMAT (420) [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2011, 11:58
This post received
KUDOS
Yep, I will echo the post above.. Work smart, not hard. Although having 40 hrs a week available to study dosent hurt either!

Posted from my mobile device Image
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
Schools: Insead Sept '16
GMAT Date: 09-30-2014
GPA: 3.57
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 30 [1] , given: 17

Re: Please help :( I failed the GMAT (420) [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2011, 12:33
This post received
KUDOS
I'm retaking it on June 10th as well. I only started studying seriously last night (I say "seriously" because I've been "studying" for about 3 years now). I took the GMAT last year without any preparation because I make odd decisions in life thinking I'm a holy fool and that things will just go my way if I wing it. While I did rather well in verbal, my quant score left much (say, 51 points?) to be desired. I highly recommend the MGMAT books for math; it's rather exciting to finally do a fist pump and scream "I know what prime factorization is!" so many years after the 8th grade.

I think we can totally destroy the GMAT by June 10th; I bought the MGMAT series and made a prep schedule which indicates that I should be a math genius by May 22nd. I'm a writer/editor so I'm hoping my clients will provide me with enough RC/SC practice. My application deadline is on June 15th. I really wish I didn't have undiagnosed ADD.

But yes, you ought to come up with a solid, daily plan of action that'll keep you going until D-Day. Print it out and stick it in every room of your house. Get the MGMAT math books. Read, memorize, make out with every single line, formula, exercise in those books.

Life with the GMAT:

Jerome: Ben, c'est 20 secondes de plus qu'hier sur le meme parcours! C'etait bien le meme parcours la, non?!
Gigi: Mais t'enerve pas, Jerome, je crois que t'as accroche une porte.
Jerome: *$&#(*%&(*#%&

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2294

Kudos [?]: 9031 [0], given: 3676

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Please help :( I failed the GMAT (420) [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2011, 14:20
Expert's post
Sorry to hear about your experience, see this post too about retakers: should-i-retake-gmat-thread-retaking-gmat-strategies-83339.html

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Please help :( I failed the GMAT (420) [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2011, 18:58
I'm in a very similar position. I took the GMAT back in February and got a 450. Much like your score, I scored ~50%tile on verbal and close to 10%tile on quant. I then signed up for Knewton course, so I'm hoping that will help me with quant. The challenge for me is I don't know where to start in a quant question. It can be a simple question, with me more than likely knowing the concept, however I don't know where to start and often have to guess.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 39 [1] , given: 28

Re: Please help :( I failed the GMAT (420) [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2011, 22:37
This post received
KUDOS
Hi,
Quant is much easier to improve than is Verbal. Just learn the concepts (through some Math guide books), practice quant problems in OG 12 (it's a must), and familiarize yourself with real quant questions through GPrep test.

If you are rusty with quant, MGMAT Math books are very good to brush up quant knowledge. I only used MGMAT Word translation and Number Properties and found these books very helpful. Another valuable quant resources are GMAT Club dianogstic test and GMAT Club math book. The GMAT Club Diagnostic test is not representative of GMAT, but is a great material to learn the concepts. GMAT Club Math book is neatly written and cover almost all topics in quant, it's well worth reading!

After equipping yourself with quant knowledge, move on to OG12. Make sure you understand the concepts tested in each problem and the take-aways to apply to other problems. Do not rush! Reviewing every incorrect answer is a must. Keep an error log or make flashcards for incorrect answers. Doing tons of problems w/o spending time on reviewing doesn't get you to anywhere, actually.

The final step is to take GPrep tests. I personally learn a lot from the incorrect answers from GPrep tests, which give me a sense of how real GMAT problems are and learn some tricks. Googling the incorrect answers often links to MGMAT forum. Studying from MGMAT Instructors' explanations is extremely helpful.

just a reminder: just book the test when you are well-prepared and confident.

my 2 cents

There can be Miracles when you believe

Intern
Intern

Re: Please help :( I failed the GMAT (420) [#permalink] New post 29 Apr 2011, 07:06
@sharshar84
Yes, that's what i am doing too. I started studying Wednesday but reviewing my basics. I am actually enrolled in the Kaplan course so I will use their books to study and review the material then will practice from the Official Guide. I am really hoping we ll both do good on our next try, i am thinking about the same date as yours. My deadline is June 15th too.
Intern
Intern

Re: Please help :( I failed the GMAT (420) [#permalink] New post 29 Apr 2011, 07:11
@windofchange
Thanks for your advice, i appreciate it. I know everyone is telling me to use the MGMAT books but I am enrolled with Kaplan so i have access to their books and all their online course, workshop,practice test, quiz. They even tell you what are your weaknesses, and tell you what to work on. Do you think I still need the MGMAT book series. I started Wednesday from 0, reviewing all my basic knowledge in math because that is what screwed me at the actual GMAT. I scored in the 10th percentile in math which i really dont understand and in the 40th percentile in Verbal. The crazy thing is that i barely studied anything for Verbal and really focused on Quantitative.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 28

Re: Please help :( I failed the GMAT (420) [#permalink] New post 29 Apr 2011, 08:40
n1esrine wrote:
@windofchange
Thanks for your advice, i appreciate it. I know everyone is telling me to use the MGMAT books but I am enrolled with Kaplan so i have access to their books and all their online course, workshop,practice test, quiz. They even tell you what are your weaknesses, and tell you what to work on. Do you think I still need the MGMAT book series. I started Wednesday from 0, reviewing all my basic knowledge in math because that is what screwed me at the actual GMAT. I scored in the 10th percentile in math which i really dont understand and in the 40th percentile in Verbal. The crazy thing is that i barely studied anything for Verbal and really focused on Quantitative.

Well, in my opinion, not all MGMAT books are good :lol:. I used MGMAT Word Translation, Number Properties, Geometry for quant and 3 Verbal books; I personally think that only MGMAT WT, NP and SC are worth of money. However, some of my friends used all of 8 books and found them very helpful. It depends on each person. You need to find the books/strategies that work for you.

One thing I like about MGMAT books is that OG 12 problems are listed according to the topics in each chapter. Practicing those problems helps to master the concepts better.

If you tend to perform better in Verbal section, congrats! 8-) read this: http://www.gmatpill.com/the-gmat-pill-m ... -strategy/

One of the valuable resources is the collection of problems in Bunuel's signature. Only attempt these problems after you complete OG problems.

There can be Miracles when you believe

Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Beta Gamma Sigma, Omicron Delta Epsilon, Toastmasters Intl, HHonors
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 27

Re: Please help :( I failed the GMAT (420) [#permalink] New post 29 Apr 2011, 09:23
No worries. I would say that you may want to take it after a good 3 months of studying. Most of the study plans posted here are around there for people scoring >700. If you can't do that, then it is what it is: dial back to a more minimal plan (see the post on the books). If you can, so much the better

n1esrine wrote:
THanks for the reply,
I started studying yesterday, and plan on taking the test around mid-June. So i have 6 weeks to prepare for it. I really hope I will do good this time.

= = = = = = = = = =

If you liked my post, please consider a Kudos for me. Thanks!

Intern
Intern

Re: Please help :( I failed the GMAT (420) [#permalink] New post 29 Apr 2011, 10:07
abhattac5 wrote :
No worries. I would say that you may want to take it after a good 3 months of studying. Most of the study plans posted here are around there for people scoring >700. If you can't do that, then it is what it is: dial back to a more minimal plan (see the post on the books).

Hey Abhattac5,
Are you saying i shouldnt take it in 6 weeks, I am already familiar with the material so the 6 weeks is review and practice.
I only need a 550 but i am shooting for a above 600 to be on the safe side.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 23

Re: Please help :( I failed the GMAT (420) [#permalink] New post 29 Apr 2011, 10:30
I'm a bit in the same boat too. I've been studying for about 4-5 months now. Took the Knewton coarse, which was good. However I cannot even seem to improve on my dismal practice test scores. I certainly don't feel ready for the real Gmat. It's hard to keep studying when you don't see yourself improving!

Best of luck with your quest!
Re: Please help :( I failed the GMAT (420)   [#permalink] 29 Apr 2011, 10:30