Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Aug 2014, 20:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Please help in choosing recommenders

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.8
WE: Project Management (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Please help in choosing recommenders [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2011, 00:04
I am a R1 applicant for US B schools. I am in a bit of a fix about my recommendations.

I have done 2 roles primarily in my 5 year career.

1. Current role: I have been in it for 13 months. I have worked under my hiring manager for 8 months until he left for another team in the same company a few months ago. My current manager and I have worked for 5 months only. Which one of the two should I choose?

2. Previous role: I did this role for 4 years. I worked under different manager through this while but the same engineering manager, who has little experience in being a direct manager to me. I have two choices again here - the engineering manager or a direct manager during this time. Which one should I choose?

I am not stating my personal opinion here so as to not sway the opinion. It would be great if I could get a perspective on this matter from the experts..
Expert Post
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 43

Kudos [?]: 516 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: Please help in choosing recommenders [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2011, 09:21
Expert's post
Look it's hard to say with the info you have given us. Choosing a recommender depends on lots of things, beyond just the time you spent. It's important how much leadership you have in the role, how high a position they are, how many people THEY lead, whether they have an MBA and from where, and a dozen other things.

As for your personal opinion, you SHOULD state it, because in general people that like you more give you better recommendations
:)

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!