Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 20:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Please help me decide:UCLA Anderson vs Duke Fuqua

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

UCLA Anderson vs Duke Fuqua

• 89% [17]
  • 10% [2]
Intern
Intern
Schools: Anderson '16 (M)
WE: Law (Investment Banking)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 6

Please help me decide:UCLA Anderson vs Duke Fuqua [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2014, 03:13
Hi guys!!

I have been admitted to Anderson an Fuqua (both with $$) and despite Duke offered me a higher amount, the difference is not so significant to make scholarship play a key role in my decision.

I love both schools and their culture, I feel both are collaborative and I had a great connection with all the alumni and students I have spoken with, also I have visited Anderson campus and I loved my experience there, I did not have the chance to visit Duke but I am sure I would love it too.

I would love to attend admit weekend for both but unfortunately I can't.

I am from Spain and work in Madrid as a finance lawyer at an international law firm and after my MBA I would like to work in California. I am still open to different career paths but I am especially interested in tech and entrepreneurship. I am certain I do not want to go into consulting or IB. Considering that I want to live in California post MBA and that I am interested in tech I am leaning towards Anderson. However, I do not want to say no to Duke without giving it proper consideration.
Another important aspect in my decision is the job opportunnities that my fiance might have there. He is a supply chain manager (and a US citizen so no concern regarding visas) and I think that he might have more interesting job opportunnities in LA.

Do you guys think I am overestimating the importance of the geographical factor? Are there any other important factors that you think I might have overlooked?

I would really appreciate your feedback!

Many thanks :-D
BSchool Forum Moderator
GMAT 1: 740 Q52 V38
GPA: 3.2
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 189 [0], given: 122

Premium Member
Re: Please help me decide:UCLA Anderson vs Duke Fuqua [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2014, 05:09
I voted for Anderson.

Duke is good enough where you can probably go to California post MBA without a problem, in the field you want. However, Anderson will make things way easier. Most of their job placements are already in tech and in California. Recruiting and job interviews will be much easier too since you won't need to fly to California all the time.

In regards to your fiance, he should research both locations and see where more employment possibilities exist. LA is clearly bigger, but the Triangle area has a lot of nice employment opportunities as well.

I'm sure he'll comment here soon enough, but you should talk to mgh234. He has admits to both and considering both as well I believe.

Full Disclosure: I want people to reject Duke so I can get off the waitlist.

My review of some of the CAT practice exams
List of all 2014 Admit Weekends
You can usually find me on gmatclub's chat.

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.7
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 6

Re: Please help me decide:UCLA Anderson vs Duke Fuqua [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2014, 06:00
Agreed with farful. Both schools are similar enough that if you want to be in California, you should go to Anderson.
Intern
Intern
Schools: Anderson '16 (M)
WE: Law (Investment Banking)

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 6

Re: Please help me decide:UCLA Anderson vs Duke Fuqua [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2014, 10:31
Thanks for your insight! :)

Posted from my mobile device Image
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 1

Re: Please help me decide:UCLA Anderson vs Duke Fuqua [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2014, 15:03
Hi Lawgirl,

I agree with previous posters. I live in San Francisco and know for a fact that the UCLA degree and network is strong here. I think since both schools are strong programs you should favor UCLA which is close to the Bay Area... and LA is starting to have a pretty decent tech scene of it's one.

I'm still waiting from an answer from UCLA after an interview so crossing fingers I might join you at UCLA next year!
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 15

Re: Please help me decide:UCLA Anderson vs Duke Fuqua [#permalink] New post 12 May 2014, 16:04
If you want to work in California, then you should definitely choose Anderson... Also, consider the fact that California has a very competitive job-market...imo! I don't know how others feel.
Re: Please help me decide:UCLA Anderson vs Duke Fuqua   [#permalink] 12 May 2014, 16:04