Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 07:31 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 07:31

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64912 [0]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 628 [0]
Given Kudos: 192
Send PM
Re: Please help me form my study plan to go from 660 to 730+ [#permalink]
Heel289,

Dude, its not you do X,Y and Z and you get a desired score. This is a classic mistake. Suppose you want to develop a 6 pack, could you say in advance of 3 months that you would do A, B, C drills and you would get a 6 pack. You need to divide and conquer - identify your weakness and rectify them - as you would do in verbal - randomly practising questions won't boost your score.

Also the 4-6 hours everyday is putting too much stress on yourself - you can improve by putting 2-3 hours of focussed effort.

A 80/80 %ile break up is more desirable - a V45 and Q37 won't do that. I also think that getting to V45 won't be an easy task.

My suggestions:

. Get Total GMAT Math Book / Manhattan GMAT Math Foundation Book and run through them.
. Practise Basic and Advanced Sets from Jeff Sacksman based on your weak areas.

Stay Away from(now)

. MGMAT Advanced Quant
MGMAT Advanced Quant and Advanced DS workshops
MGMAT Challenge Archive & Question banks

They are for Q47+ .

You can try contacting Ian Stewart and discuss with him.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64912 [0]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Expert Reply
heel289 wrote:
Do you have any specific ideas of how to go about mapping out a plan over 3 months to accomplish what you suggest?

Really my weaknesses are spread across quant and I'm consistently a little slow in all categories so I need to get more accurate and faster in everything. I also seem to miss shortcuts, get bogged down in long calculations, and and don't have an arsenal of fast math methods. How can I improve these things? See attached file for a look at my OG quant stats.

You will need to make a plan depending on the days that work for you, the time slots that work for you etc. I can give you a rough idea, something similar to a plan that I would make for my Veritas students:

1. Study 5 days a week - everyday 2 sessions, one of 2 hrs (for Quant) and another of 1 hr (for Verbal) - if possible (morning and evening).
2. For Verbal, all you need to do is practice. Stay in touch. You already have a great score and it is not likely that it will fall if you keep practicing a little bit. Identify some sources (Veritas books for our students) and fix a number of questions e.g. 5 questions of SC, 5 of CR and 2 of RC. It will take you 20-30 mins to do the questions. In the next 30 mins, re-visit the questions and analyze each and every option again till you are very clear about what worked, what didn't work and why.
3. For Quant, work on a topic a week. Go through the basic theory very properly first, do lots of practice questions (untimed), some tougher problems (untimed) and some problems of the topic from online forums such as GMATClub (use the search feature). If you have doubts in some problems, put them up here and we will provide solutions. This will take around 6 weeks.
4. Next 3 weeks, take timed section tests (i.e. 20-30 questions from one topic) and analyze each and every question afterwards (very important). Also, you can take one full length test a week (accurately timed). Make sure you put in enough time to analyze every question later on and note down the takeaways you find useful. Thereafter, it is just a game of revision.
5. If you work on building strong basics, your speed will increase automatically. GMAT questions are not calculation intensive. If you miss the concept, then you end up working the long way. To further increase your speed and cut through the calculations, focus on alternative methods of solving (if they interest you!). Many people like to use these methods on this forum so if you put up a question which ate up a lot of your time, chances are you will solutions which will help you solve it in under a minute. Also, you can check up the veritas blog: https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#/categor ... om/page/2/
We like to discuss alternative, more intuitive, less mathematical approaches.
GMAT Club Bot