Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Apr 2014, 00:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Please help me get the timing right!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 670 Q45 V37
GPA: 3.25
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Please help me get the timing right! [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2012, 23:38
Hey guys,

My test is early next month(about two weeks from now), and I have given two practice tests recently

GMATPrep Test 1 - 690 (Q49,V34)
Kaplan Free Test - 670

So, when you are stuck at some quant problem and you know you can do it but you realize that you are exceeding the time you should be taking, how do you decide if and when to stop? (I try not looking at the clock too much)

I am really struggling with this and in the Kaplan test I gave today, I had to guess 7 questions in quant at the end. Luckily i got 4 of them right and i got 94% but that makes my score more skewed. I seem to get stuck at some questions and take longer to get to the answer..is there strategy that i can use to overcome/avoid this? I noted from the official test that i got 49 even after getting 12 wrong, so i know i should be skipping some questions

Also, I lose concentration by the time I am half way through verbal :( my verbal score has never gone above 34-35. I feel that I can improve a few points in verbal just by improving concentration level. But I'm mostly lost in this section and find myself mostly eliminating rather than confidently selecting the answer..

I studied from the MGMAT guides, the OG & CR bible. Are there any resources that can improve my verbal in the next 5 or 6 days? I don't have much time..
I have access to the MGMAT tests and the 2nd GMATprep test that I am saving for later after I have exhausted the free CAT tests

Thanks!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 530 Q42 V20
GMAT 2: 540 Q43 V28
GMAT 3: 680 Q48 V35
WE: Business Development (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [1] , given: 18

Re: Please help me get the timing right! [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2012, 04:41
This post received
KUDOS
You cannot answer every question within 2 minutes, some questions take longer than that and some questions you can solve it within a minute. So the best way to tackle this problem is to use a timing strategy like below (the one i use). Make sure you check the time only after you complete every 5 questions and not in the middle (this reduces your anxiety) - Hide the timer. For quants it should be 10 mins for 5 qn and for verbal - 9 mins for 5 qn. If you are ahead of time, slow down and be careful you might be making careless mistakes, if you are lagging behind then guess one and move on to the next one. +/- 2mins difference is fine unless you don't accumulate it in every interval. This helps you avoid checking the timer often, reduces your anxiety, time spent on calculating the remaining time in the middle of solving a problem and the guesses are evenly spread out. Since you are close to your actual test, try this in atleast two mocks and if you don't find it comfortable, leave the option. Moreover avoid taking mocks two days before the test - it will drain you out and you won't be much motivated while taking the actual test.

# V Q
0 75 75
5 66 65
10 57 55
15 48 45
20 39 35
25 30 25
30 21 15
35 12 5
40 3
40 3

For the verbal part, you can try taking notes for whichever section you are comfortable with either CR or RC. It is not a wise idea to change your strategy at the last moment because taking notes will be time consuming and you don't want to end up with timing issues, but you can tweak it a little here and there. Otherwise try striking down the incorrect options in scratch pad instead of taking notes. Use the last five columns of your scratch pad and use a tick/wrong or round for doubtful for each question it will keep you focused. Hope this helps !!

KUDOS - if my post has helped you.

GMAT Forum Moderator
Concentration: Healthcare, Economics
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: Q V
GPA: 3.54
WE: Accounting (Manufacturing)
Followers: 50

Kudos [?]: 348 [0], given: 234

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Please help me get the timing right! [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2012, 06:29
Have you read our timing thread and our stay healthy score higher thread?

timing-strategies-on-the-gmat-80176.html
stay-healthy-score-higher-22103.html

Also, mental stamina is important. At some point, you simply need to push through the test. The test is designed to break you.

Strategy Discussion Thread | Strategy Master | GMAT Debrief| Please discuss strategies in discussion thread. Master thread will be updated accordingly. | GC Member Write Ups

Re: Please help me get the timing right!   [#permalink] 22 Jul 2012, 06:29