Hi essaysnark experts,
I found your analyses on this forum quite useful so thought your opinion will definitely help me. Please find my details below:
32 year old, Indian male,
WE: 9+ years, Software Engr->Tech Lead in 3 (all Fortune 500) US companies, can show progressive career growth in terms of leadership/responsibilities. Have hired folks directly reporting to me, while managing a maximum team size of 6 engineers. Also, starting a new job as Sr Marketing Mgr next month.
Education: IITK (India) 7.6/10, MS (mid-tier university,Canada) 11.33/12
GMAT: 740 (Q50, V40, IR7, AWA6)
- Started a new business initiative in current job, formally funded with $250k seed funding in a Fortune 500 company staffed and eventually successfully bought over by another division. Can produce letter of recommendation from funding org and business plan competition brochure listing me as Founder.
- Deal with customers across the globe in my job. Helped my employer avoid multi-milion $ service level penalties through successful negotiation etc. Can get a support letter substantiating this.
- Hold 1 approved US patent, 3 other publicly available patent applications. 3 IEEE (Electrical Engg society) conference research papers and 1 journal paper
- 8-10 company awards and recognition at work
- Worked in US, Canada, UK, Germany. Studied, brought up in India.
- Was elected with majority as Accounts Secretary for student body at IITK (undergrad) and brought the budget under control and efficiently reduced the per-student burden for dues towards student activities.
- 90% marks at 12th grade, 89% marks at 10th grade, school life full of certificates in debates, extempore, poem recitations etc.
1. My goal is to get into a Marketing focused MBA from a good school that can help me in my long term career. With this consideration, should I apply in R2 class of '16 or wait until R1 for class of '17, next year when I have 1 year of experience in a marketing role (As of now, I have zero experience on paper in Mktg). Or I will be doing a disservice to myself by adding yet another year to already excessive work experience.
2. For big schools, strong community work may help and I only have 12 hours of volunteer work only through my employer (planting trees, reading books to kids, organizing STEM education events). If I were to apply next year, how is my community involvement evaluated - hours worked, support letters from someone or something else. Please advise so I can equip myself accordingly for R2 this year or next year.
3. Currently, I work in SF-bay area and I am planning to target Kellogg-FT, Stanford GSB-FT, Haas-PT and Anderson-PT. Which ones should I add for Mktg focus in the stretch, sweet-spot, safety zones in terms of admission.
I would appreciate your feedback, criticism and inputs.