Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 26 Oct 2014, 01:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Please help me pick a GMAT course!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Please help me pick a GMAT course! [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2011, 14:41
Hi,

I know this topic is a fairly common one and that there are a variety of responses available out there, but I am hoping someone can sort of "show me the light" based on my background and skill level. I gave the GMAT last year in November with very little prep, or rather, by giving myself a single shot and placing all my hopes on it. I was hoping to apply that year. Obviously, I did not do well (scored a 640), because of lack of sufficient prep and way too much pressure that I was putting on myself. I am now ready to give it another shot after a nice long break but find myself lacking the motivation to prepare on my own. I was considering taking a GMAT prep course to motivate myself to study regularly. I attended one Kaplan GMAT class in October 2010 just to get a feel for what the class is like, and did not like it at all. I felt the class progressed at a really slow rate and I just did not see myself improving by attending Kaplan. A friend of mine told me Princeton Review was way better, and so was Veritas Prep. Can someone please tell me which one is better? As of now, I have ruled out Kaplan, MGMAT(too pricey). I considered Knewton, but that is online only and I am more inclined towards a classroom course. So, I seem to have narrowed down to Veritas Prep and Princeton Review. Any advise would be greatly appreciated!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
Schools: ISB
WE 1: Engineer - Larsen & Toubro, ECC Division
WE 2: Faculty - T.I.M.E.
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 130 [0], given: 66

Re: Please help me pick a GMAT course! [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2011, 18:26
I'm sorry... I don't know much about the GMAT courses. However, I just thought I'd share my opinion nevertheless. You might find it useful:

If you're not totally out of touch with concepts, I would recommend studying on your own. You got a score of 640 with very little preparation. So, I'm reasonably confident that you have the potential to touch the 700 barrier without attending any GMAT course.

Of course, if your primary intention behind picking a GMAT course is to keep you motivated, then I'd suggest you supplement it with other sources of motivation which stem from your own desire to do well. It's good to be motivated and inspired by others, but self motivation is the best kind of motivation.
e.g.
Start a "My GMAT Journey" thread :)
It will help you stay on track... You can find some of the active threads (including my own) of this type in this thread:

gmat-journeys-master-thread-109007.html

I wish you luck!
All the best... :beer:

Mission: Be a force of good and make a positive difference to every life I touch!

From 650 to 710 to 750 - My Tryst With GMAT [Experience Thread]

Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1157

Kudos [?]: 5385 [0], given: 165

Re: Please help me pick a GMAT course! [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2011, 19:18
Expert's post
madhumita wrote:
Hi,

I know this topic is a fairly common one and that there are a variety of responses available out there, but I am hoping someone can sort of "show me the light" based on my background and skill level. I gave the GMAT last year in November with very little prep, or rather, by giving myself a single shot and placing all my hopes on it. I was hoping to apply that year. Obviously, I did not do well (scored a 640), because of lack of sufficient prep and way too much pressure that I was putting on myself. I am now ready to give it another shot after a nice long break but find myself lacking the motivation to prepare on my own. I was considering taking a GMAT prep course to motivate myself to study regularly. I attended one Kaplan GMAT class in October 2010 just to get a feel for what the class is like, and did not like it at all. I felt the class progressed at a really slow rate and I just did not see myself improving by attending Kaplan. A friend of mine told me Princeton Review was way better, and so was Veritas Prep. Can someone please tell me which one is better? As of now, I have ruled out Kaplan, MGMAT(too pricey). I considered Knewton, but that is online only and I am more inclined towards a classroom course. So, I seem to have narrowed down to Veritas Prep and Princeton Review. Any advise would be greatly appreciated!

I will not compare and contrast the various test prep courses for obvious reasons but I would like to suggest you to check out our Essentials course. It is for people with a profile similar to yours (those who have taken GMAT before and are kind of comfortable with the basics).
In this class we focus on big-picture concepts (and their guiding principles) and GMAT-specific strategy.
Check put this post for more details:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-essentials-course-105001.html?hilit=Essentials#p825220

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Please help me pick a GMAT course! [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2011, 20:14
Your GMAT score is only one aspect of your MBA application and I must say that 640 is not a bad score depending on which schools you are aiming at. For the 20 top schools the average varies from 650 to 750.

Before investing in any of the commercial GMAT preparation material, you may want to consider the following options

1. Free online material available
2. Social learning sites like Grockit
3. Official GMAT book, The official guide for GMAT

In addition to strong academics, B-schools are looking for you to demonstrate your personal attributes, leadership skills, career goals and creative thinking in your applications.

I will also encourage you plan your MBA better and spend sufficient time on targeting schools, understanding their requirements and most importantly assess your post MBA options. Knowing why you want to do an MBA is generally a good starting point.

Good luck !!
Maria
ExpandUrHorizon
Manager
Manager
Schools: Terry, Georgia Tech
WE 1: Working for Wipro Technologies since April 2010
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 22

Re: Please help me pick a GMAT course! [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2011, 22:57
If you really want to do well, my advice would be to buy a book that has not only tough sums but also good explanations of concepts. I do not want to recommend any books here but I used Quantitative Aptitude by Arun Sharma. It is primarily meant for CAT but more than a handful for GMAT as well. Brush up your basics, which are not too bad seeing that you have scored a decent 640 in your first attempt. Follow it up with exposure to moderately tough questions and thena few real tough ones. The later would never appear in GMAT but would help boost your confidence. Take mock tests from time to time ( 1 in a month to begin with). See where it takes you and then we can set a strategy for the later half of your preparation.

All the Best!!

P.S.: aapni ki bangaali? :P

Samidh
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Feel free to get in touch if you feel I can be of some assistance to you. You can find me in Facebook if you search!

Consider giving me some kudos if you like my post

GMAT Forum Moderator
Concentration: Healthcare, Economics
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: Q V
GPA: 3.54
WE: Accounting (Manufacturing)
Followers: 55

Kudos [?]: 412 [0], given: 234

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Please help me pick a GMAT course! [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2011, 02:43
Here is a thread containing personal reviews of the courses:

gmat-prep-course-reviews-discount-codes-78451.html#p590321

Strategy Discussion Thread | Strategy Master | GMAT Debrief| Please discuss strategies in discussion thread. Master thread will be updated accordingly. | GC Member Write Ups

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Schools: Kellogg (Rd 1 Ding), Stanford (Rd 1 Ding), Haas (Rd 1 Admit!!!), Booth (Rd 2-Int Ding), Anderson (Rd 2-Int Admit!!)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Please help me pick a GMAT course! [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2011, 09:59
I had a couple of friends take Manhattan courses, they both got super nice 700+ scores. I also used some of their books, especially the SC guide.
Re: Please help me pick a GMAT course!   [#permalink] 22 Feb 2011, 09:59