Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 08:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Please help.My GMAT scores were far below the MGMAT scores!!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 600 Q48 V25
GMAT 2: 660 Q50 V29
GMAT 3: 690 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.2
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 166

GMAT Tests User
Please help.My GMAT scores were far below the MGMAT scores!! [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2011, 23:39
Hi,
I gave my GMAT 3 days back ( 11th Sep)and my results were shocking!
I got 600 ( Q 48, V25)

I am preparing for past 4 months -I have completed OG and were doing regular practice - princeton review, gmat club, MGMAT CAT exams, Kaplan tests etc - I gave a dedicated effort .I sacrificed a lot of personal things :( Am really disheartened.

Am writing down my scores in the last 3 weeks practice tests

Kaplan test 3 - 630 ( Q 50 , V 32 )
Kaplan test 4 - 620 ( Q 50 , V 32)

MGMAT test 3 - 640 ( Q 43, V 35)
MGMAT test 4 - 680 ( Q 48, V 35 )
MGMAT test 5 - 680 ( Q 47, V 36 )
MGMAT test 6 - 710 ( Q 50, V 36 )

And I really did a thorough review of each test believe me. I wrote down all the wrong answers , new strategies and fomula, new sentence correction rules

Am really shocked to see how my actual scores are so less than the practice tests!
Please help. WHERE COULD I GET WRONG ON THE D -DAY :-(. Am not able to find out myself. While giving the test I was a bit tensed during Quant, but Verbal I felt it was easy. I dont know. Am planning to take the GMAT again in Nov - and this time aiming for 750+ . Please please help to build up my strategy. Is there anything wrong in the basics of my preparation? My scores does not say so :(
The test day I was confident that I will make 700 at least !

PLEASE HELP .. AM TOTALLY CONFUSED :(

Didn't give up !!! Still Trying!!

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2276

Kudos [?]: 8792 [0], given: 3666

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Please help.My GMAT scores were far below the MGMAT scores!! [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2011, 10:15
Expert's post
Hi - welcome to GMAT Club!

It looks like your Quant score is very good but the Verbal is much lower than the MGMAT tests/results. That's very unusual!
You can see here: GMAT Score Calculator that your projected score should have been much higher based on the practice tests. You should have gotten at least 640-650.

Not sure what happened. Perhaps it was stress or just careless mistakes?
I kind of hate to say it but the feeling of "easy" is not usually a good feeling. I don't want to freak anyone out but most people who got a high score, usually report feeling complete uncertainty - they felt they were failing all the time (the whole test - same with me by the way).

I really don't understand what happened. I think you need to look back and see what may have gone wrong... any ideas?

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Please help.My GMAT scores were far below the MGMAT scores!! [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2011, 20:58
Thanks a lot for the reply!

I am myself not sure what happened :-( . Anyways want to give another try. Initially I though that I will apply for R1 for 2012 fall, but anyways ... now I am shooting for the second cycle.But this time I want to get 750+

I have a few questions

1. I want to apply to Booth, whose 2nd cycle deadline is 4th Jan. Now I have a basic question. I have heard that it takes 20 days after you give your exam to get your official score.This time while writing my exam, I was so confident that I had selected booth out of the 5 universities for reporting the score.Now,if I keep my 2nd GMAT on Dec 20 or so, ( I will start the essays side by side), then will Booth be able to see my 2nd GMAT score by 4th Jan if I have only the unofficial score by that time? How this score report logic works ?Could you please explain ?

2.Now as I understand, I need to improve on my verbal.So I am planing to buy some of the books below( not all obviously as I am short of money ).Could you please guide me which of the following would be a good investment of money?

1.GMAT paper Tests
2.GMAT Club Tests
3. Powerscore CR
4. Aristotle RC 99
5. OG verbal review
6. SC bible
7. Aristotle SC

Thanks a lot in advance

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2276

Kudos [?]: 8792 [0], given: 3666

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Please help.My GMAT scores were far below the MGMAT scores!! [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2011, 21:06
Expert's post
Practicegmat wrote:
1. I want to apply to Booth, whose 2nd cycle deadline is 4th Jan. Now I have a basic question. I have heard that it takes 20 days after you give your exam to get your official score.This time while writing my exam, I was so confident that I had selected booth out of the 5 universities for reporting the score.Now,if I keep my 2nd GMAT on Dec 20 or so, ( I will start the essays side by side), then will Booth be able to see my 2nd GMAT score by 4th Jan if I have only the unofficial score by that time? How this score report logic works ?Could you please explain ?

I believe with Booth, you can take the GMAT on the 3rd and be OK, but you will need to check it with the Adcom. They have a chat on 9/21. You can ask then or inquire directly.

Quote:
2.Now as I understand, I need to improve on my verbal.So I am planing to buy some of the books below( not all obviously as I am short of money ).Could you please guide me which of the following would be a good investment of money?

[strike]1.GMAT paper Tests[/strike]
[strike]2.GMAT Club Tests[/strike]
3. Powerscore CR
4. Aristotle RC 99
5. OG verbal review - maybe.
6. SC bible
7. Aristotle SC

Thanks a lot in advance

I took out above the ones that you definitely do not need. GMAT Club tests are really for Quant and not for verbal (though there are a few).
I would suggest perhaps instead of all of that to get MGMAT Verbal Foundations (see my review - i really liked the RC practice there) and start there. I believe that book alone may pull you up but the electronic copies you listed may be easier/faster to get, so judge for yourself where you start.

P.S. You don't need a lot of questions by the way, just the knowledge and confidence!

See this:

!
Common Mistakes with GMAT preparation
1: Rushing to take tests before learning anything - waste of tests
2: Starting with the Official Guide - waste of official GMAT questions
3: Giving GMAT the worst time of the day - studying after a long day
4: Skipping basics and rushing to advanced topics
5: Starting to prepare with poor English proficiency

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Please help.My GMAT scores were far below the MGMAT scores!! [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2011, 22:15
Thanks so much for the help. Am now trying to pull myself up from the depression, and hopefully shall start my prep soon !

Shall decide on the books soon!

Re: Please help.My GMAT scores were far below the MGMAT scores!!   [#permalink] 14 Sep 2011, 22:15