Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 06:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Please help -Profile evaluation

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance
Schools: Yale '16
GPA: 3.19
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Please help -Profile evaluation [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2013, 09:36
Post Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:56 am
Hi,

I gave GRE and scored 330/340 (Quant-169 , Verball 161). I havent given the GMAT and most of the universities are accepting GRE for MBA as well. ETS has released the official tool for conversion of GRE scores to their equivalent GMAT scores where my score gets converted to 740.
UG GPA :7.97/10

Work Experience: Oct 2011 to present . will have 34 months of experience by august 2014. I have worked in TATA cosultancy services as a developer in Oracle Peoplesoft Finance applications in Asset management , Expenses , General Ledger and Supply chain management in a functional as well as technical role.My clients were Commonwealth Bank of Australia and Covance Labs, USA. Recommendation letter from My tech lead will be fine i hope??

Certifications: NAtional Stock Exchange certified Market Proffessional - level3, National stock exchange certified Derivatives champion,and additional NSE certifications in financial markets, options tradin, Derivatives dealer and options trading strategy module . Also have an ITIL-V3 certification

Extra cirriculars: 12th Rank in National Junior Math Olympiad , Led my college team for 4 years and making it to the finals for first time in past 11 years. Played for my Corporate team which has an employee work force of 300,00.

Ambition: MBA with concentration in finance.

Could you please suggest the colleges i shud apply for and the chances in those colleges respectively. Also, will my GRE be a negatove factor in comparision to GMAT , although colegese have mentioned that there shall be no discrimination

What are my chances at : Tepper, NYU , UT Austin, Illinois Urbana champain, Yale SOM,Darden,Emory univ,Kelley ,Georgetow univ,Scheller georgia tech,Carey
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance
Schools: Yale '16
GPA: 3.19
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Please help -Profile evaluation [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2013, 09:39
Please help me out @essaysnark
MBA Admissions Consulting
WE: Consulting (Education)
Followers: 36

Kudos [?]: 131 [0], given: 22

Re: Please help -Profile evaluation [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2013, 11:21
Hi sparshithp - thanks for your inquiry. As you likely know, you're coming at this from an oversubscribed candidate pool (Indians in IT) and while there are some strengths in your profile, there's also some issues that are going to make this challenging.

And before we say much more: The typos and errors in your post frankly get in the way. We understand that this is just an Internet forum and it's casual, but it is much easier on your reader if you are more diligent with spelling and punctuation - and please, no shorthand. It's "should" (among other things). Spend a little more time on your posts and we're more likely to want to help (just a little secret for dealing with the 'Snark). :-)

On your questions: First of all, the ETS tool is not an "official" conversion of GRE -> GMAT; we cover that on the EssaySnark blahg here.

Next: We really can't do the "what are my chances" question based on a few facts in a profile. We explain that here. In fact, we aren't real crazy about this post-my-profile format at all but we know that people are hungry for information and we try to help out as we can. We can't really offer much insight for you though because the schools that you named are all over the map, both literally and figuratively; we can't figure out the criteria you've used to select them so it's tough to offer any feedback on whether you're a good match or not. Not trying to be evasive but it's a very random list. If you want to share some of your thinking behind this group of schools we might be able to do more.

In general, your GRE and your grades qualify you to play the admissions game; however you're hitting this from one of the most competitive demographics and there's a whole bunch of other guys "like you" trying for the same brass ring. It's also very tough to make the jump from IT to finance - one of the hardest, in fact. We touched on that earlier in this thread. So you have some things working against you.

You also need to be more specific on the goals. The "ambition" you stated is not the endstate; it's a means, and you haven't defined the end for us.

It may appear that we're trying to ditch out on you; we're not. We just need more before we can offer more.

EssaySnark

PS: please though, not too much more! :wink: We can't abide by people writing novels as forum posts.

EssaySnark Essays Reviewed on GMAT Club FOR FREE!

Re: Please help -Profile evaluation   [#permalink] 24 Aug 2013, 11:21