Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Aug 2014, 11:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Please help: Selecting Best Schools for GMAT: 640

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V34
GPA: 3
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 33

Please help: Selecting Best Schools for GMAT: 640 [#permalink] New post 30 Dec 2013, 16:46
Hello Friends,

I gave GMAT last month and was able to score only 640 in my first attempt. I am not sure if I’ll be able to give the exam again before the application deadlines of fall 2014 for all major schools. I have decided to take a chance with the existing score. I am looking for schools in North America and need advice for selecting right school based on my profile:

Gender/Age/M Status: Female/31/Married
GMAT: 640 (V 34, Q 44)
AWA: 5
Education:
B.Com (Bachelor in commerce): 60% (GPA 3.0)
EPYP (Executive program for young professionals) from IIM Calcutta.
(It’s a Part-time MBA of 1 year)
Experience: Overall 8 years of work experiences.
2 years as a team lead, managing a team of 15; currently working as a wealth manager for an investment consulting firm.

Active participation in social groups and volunteering for an NGO.

Goals: I want change my career track and pursue an MBA with focus on general management and marketing research & strategy. Short-term goal is to work for an international consumer products brand.

Schools:
I am looking for schools in Canada or US (east or west coast), I am considering
Schulich, York University, Toronto; Sauder, UBC, Vancouver ( Your views ? )
Need advice on other colleges in US ( How is Broad, Michigan ? Smeal ? ) how is the ROI ? Do I have a chance in top 15 ?

Please suggest. Will really appreciate your help.

Best regards
J
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
Status: Assisting candidates to get admit in to top global business schools
Affiliations: MBA
Schools: HEC, Paris
WE 1: 9 Years
Followers: 29

Kudos [?]: 79 [0], given: 6

Re: Please help: Selecting Best Schools for GMAT: 640 [#permalink] New post 31 Dec 2013, 01:40
Hi Jaya,

You have solid work experience so focus on your strengths and start working on your applications. You can apply to SMU Cox, Texas A&M, Urbana Champaign, Ohio Fisher, Boston College, Maryland-Smith, Rochester Simon, Georgia Tech along with Michigan -Broad and Smeal.

In top 15 I think you can target Duke Fuqua which has good acceptance rate among top 15. List of Canadian schools look fine to me you have fair chance for Canadian schools.

Regards,
Manish
http://www.general-ed.com/chances-of-bschool

Best Wishes,
Neha Singh
GMAT Instructor & MBA Application Consultant
General Education- Empowering Intellect

Try GMAT Mini Diagnostic tool

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V34
GPA: 3
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 33

Re: Please help: Selecting Best Schools for GMAT: 640 [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2014, 16:09
Hi Manish,
Many thanks for your response !

I'll definitely apply for Sauder and Suhulich. For the east cost..I find Broad, Smeal and UC as options for better ROI. Do you think Its a good approach if I have to limit my applications to 5 schools. Personally I want to be near east coast or west coast so my family can move accordingly. and I am giving some emphasis on ROI and fees if the school is not top 15.

-What would be your best 5 at this stage ?

- Could you also suggest, the pros and cons of applying in round 3 vs round 2 ? As most of the deadlines are mid january, I was thinking to save some options for R3 and take more time in research and essays.

Will really appreciate your help.
Best regards
J
Director
Director
Status: Assisting candidates to get admit in to top global business schools
Affiliations: MBA
Schools: HEC, Paris
WE 1: 9 Years
Followers: 29

Kudos [?]: 79 [0], given: 6

Re: Please help: Selecting Best Schools for GMAT: 640 [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2014, 03:14
Hi Jaya,

R3 will have less number of seats compared to R2, and the chances of financial aid/scholarship is also minimal. Your choice of schools are good and 5 schools are good at this stage as the deadlines are close.

I would suggest you to finalize the schools quickly and start the applications. This link might help you with the application essays http://goo.gl/j2XJoh

Cheers!!!

jaya1 wrote:
Hi Manish,
Many thanks for your response !

I'll definitely apply for Sauder and Suhulich. For the east cost..I find Broad, Smeal and UC as options for better ROI. Do you think Its a good approach if I have to limit my applications to 5 schools. Personally I want to be near east coast or west coast so my family can move accordingly. and I am giving some emphasis on ROI and fees if the school is not top 15.

-What would be your best 5 at this stage ?

- Could you also suggest, the pros and cons of applying in round 3 vs round 2 ? As most of the deadlines are mid january, I was thinking to save some options for R3 and take more time in research and essays.

Will really appreciate your help.
Best regards
J

Best Wishes,
Neha Singh
GMAT Instructor & MBA Application Consultant
General Education- Empowering Intellect

Try GMAT Mini Diagnostic tool

Re: Please help: Selecting Best Schools for GMAT: 640   [#permalink] 03 Jan 2014, 03:14