Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Dec 2014, 20:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Please Help Set Reasonable Target

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
GPA: 3.5
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 5

Please Help Set Reasonable Target [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2012, 13:29
Hello all. I used this forum to help me study for the GMAT, and it was great, now I hope you can give me some guidance as to what I should aim for.

I am applying to start in Fall 2013

1. Demographic Info - 25/M US Citizen (Will be 27 @ Matriculation)

2. Education Background - BBA @ George Washington University. Majored in Marketing, minored in Foreign Relations.
GPA - 3.5 (Cum Laude) GMAT- 710 (really hoping to raise this to at least 730).

3. Work Experience - This is where it is a plus and a negative at the same time.
I finished a Leadership Development Program at a Fortune 500 Insurance company. While I was started in Business 2 Business Sales I ended up in a role which is more to do with reporting, and interpreting the reports. Although analytic abilities could be good for consulting, and I am planning to highlight this a strength.
In addition my final did not work out as well as possible due to personal differences with my direct manager, and upon finishing the program I ended doing something very similar to the middle rotation. Although I still got a raise and as such it looks like a promotion, and the role is evolving with some new responsibilities (Just not a great leap).
At matriculation I will have about 5 years experience.
However I want to change my job, and industry to consulting, thus the reason for MBA.

4. Extras- While in University I was president of a student club, and organized activities, as well as helped to make sure it recovered financially from an issue that I inherited. I also studied abroad in London for a semester, taking classes with English students (as opposed to with Americans).
Currently I have not done much, but I within work I recently signed up to be on the Volunteer committee. In addition I recently signed up to volunteer for RightRides and organization that provides free rides home for Women and the LGBT community on weekend nights.

5. Short Term Goals - Get an MBA in Top 10/Top 20 school. Change career to consulting. Geographically I really don't care, in fact getting a job in a new location would be very interesting. Making sufficient income to pay back undergrad and grad student loans is important.
Long Term Goals- Grow within consulting (climb up the ladder). I am really interested in consulting because of the diversity of jobs, I love that. My other goals is to be financially secure to be able to help secure my parents retirement.

6. Schools - None specifically, any ideas, but Top 10/20. NYU and Columbia probably on top because I can save on housing.

7. Uniqueness- I was born in Ukraine, grew up in Brooklyn, went to school in DC (with study abroad in London), worked for a year in Dallas (without knowing anyone there when I moved), before working again in the NYC area. I have traveled to most of Europe, Israel, Azerbaijan, and Japan. I speak Russian fluently. I think these set me somewhat apart in terms of experiencing different cultures.
I have also been at the same company for my entire after school career, that could show loyalty, but could also be a bad thing?

8. Recommendations- Another question mark. There are a number of people who I think I can go to for recommendations.
My current manager- Who was also my manager 2 years ago, and has been a believer in me. I got a very good review the prior time.
My mentor- Has been my mentor since I started at my current company and knows my entire work history. Is also a VP and probably will be a great recommendation.
My former Program Manager- Has been by manager for 1 1/2 years before I finished the program, knows a lot, however was not my manager during the beginning of that program (the manager in the beggining is not available due to issues not related with me).
Finally a very high ranking senior VP who basically reported only to the President of a division- I have done a few minor projects , and I feel that this person can give me a great recommendation, however this person does not know me as well as others. Nevertheless this person is very high ranking within the organization.

9. Gaps - Dont have any, except for the items noted in career.

I hope this is enough for a good review, please let me know what else I need to put, and thank you, thank you in advance!

Last edited by WaitinginNY on 19 Feb 2012, 18:58, edited 3 times in total.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 730 Q44 V46
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.49
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 85

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Please Help Set Reasonable Target [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2012, 16:26
Others will have more worthwhile comments, but here are a few quick observations-

1) While being at your place of employment for the duration of your post-college is neither good nor bad, you need to show that you've progressed in those 5 years, taken on increasing responsibilities and had a significant impact. ALL schools are looking for people who will be leaders and affect change within their organizations. You need to show that you've been able to do that.

2) I would build up your Ukranian background/upbringing. Many schools emphasize a "Worldly" outlook. So leverage that background to emphasize what you can bring to the table. Applications don't give you a lot of space, so you need to use it wisely to define yourself/your uniqueness clearly.

3) Schools require that your current supervisor is one recommender, and the other can come from anyone else who's seen your work. I'd go with whoever you think will write the most *descriptive* letter. One that gives specific examples and can illustrate to the AdComs what kind of person you are.

4) I would make sure not to knock your undergrad for not being highly ranked enough to end up in the field you want. You want to portray yourself as a positive person.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Glad I Retook: 730 (Q44 V46) to 760 (Q50 V44)

Last edited by faro on 25 Jan 2012, 15:20, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern

Re: Please Help Set Reasonable Target [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2012, 15:14
faro thanks for the info!

I guess what I am really trying to say is which schools do I have a chance to get into?
Of course for even the best candidates Top 5 is a chance at best, but do I even have a chance there?
Is 5-10 also a reach?
Is 10-20 something that is likely possible?

Thanks in advance again!
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 730 Q44 V46
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.49
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 50 [1] , given: 85

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Please Help Set Reasonable Target [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2012, 15:23
This post received
KUDOS
yevgeniy11223 wrote:
faro thanks for the info!

I guess what I am really trying to say is which schools do I have a chance to get into?
Of course for even the best candidates Top 5 is a chance at best, but do I even have a chance there?
Is 5-10 also a reach?
Is 10-20 something that is likely possible?

Thanks in advance again!

Top schools will be a reach - they're a reach for everyone. I would base it more on "fit" than anything else since you'll see crazy admits/dings that don't make any sense.

I think any school is "fair game" with the right application/fit. That said, I think you can easily get into a 10-20 school. 5-10 is doable, 1-5 reach.

You have plenty of time between now and then, I'd start reaching out to current students/alumns and attending information sessions/visiting campuses. With enough prep, you've got a great shot at a lot of really good schools. I'm a believer in that anything is possible - so I wouldn't rule out any schools at all. Just go for what you feel suits your personality/learning style/needs best.

Glad I Retook: 730 (Q44 V46) to 760 (Q50 V44)

Director
Director
Concentration: Nonprofit, General Management
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V45
GRE 1: 336 Q169 V167
GPA: 3.22
WE: Information Technology (Manufacturing)
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 146 [0], given: 249

Re: Please Help Set Reasonable Target [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2012, 05:52
faro gives some really good advice here. I think Kellogg should be a target, it's probably one of the top prestige/consulting/admission combinations for you. Everything you've reported sounds great, so it'll come down to execution. Good luck!

ME: PROFILE | CPA: BEC AUD FAR REG | CMA: ONE TWO

bitly bundles: mba rankings | mba programs

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V33
GMAT 2: Q V0
GPA: 2.93
WE: Analyst (Energy and Utilities)

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 29

Re: Please Help Set Reasonable Target [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2012, 10:45
I prefer to check on BW who recruits...

One of the big things you should be interested in if you have a clear goal is the recruiters.

Check the BW ranking, they offer great info.

If consulting is your suit and abraod is something you'd feel go with Insead

Quote:
McKinsey & Company 127
The Boston Consulting Group 60
Bain & Company 48
Booz & Company 40
Roland Berger Strategy Consultants 15
A.T. Kearney 14
Google 13
Johnson & Johnson 10
L.E.K. Consulting 9
Standard Chartered Bank 9
Accenture 8

Good luck on your search. Your profile seems strong enough to get in with the right essays.

Be sure to be able to adress weaknesses in a proper manner. Saying "don't have any gaps" is not something you should prepare for the interview.

faber est quisque fortunae suae

Intern
Intern

Re: Please Help Set Reasonable Target [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2012, 18:31
Thanks! I decided to go and apply only to US Schools, due to preffering the 2 year experience, as well as younger overall class then the European schools (leading to a better fit).

Planning on visiting a bunch and eliminating them from there.
Basically picked Top 20 +1 or 2 outliers to start with and then narrowing them down to a list of 6-10.

So far I eliminated USC, Stanford, and probably Harvard and/or Wharton.
Still have a long list to further narrow it down.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Please Help Set Reasonable Target [#permalink] New post 10 Mar 2012, 11:14
You have an impressive profile, something you can really turn into a successful admit at top 10.

- For recommenders, schools prefer that you get one of your recommendations from current supervisor at work
- Advice choosing a recommender that you’ve most recently engaged with. For example, getting a recommendation from someone you collaborated/worked with 5 years ago might not have much impact.
- 710 is a good enough score to get you into top 10. Put your efforts into your essays that’s the MOST important part of your application.
- Kellogg should definitely be one of the schools you should target considering your goals.

Let me know how else I can help.

www.uberessays.com
Essay reviews by your dream Schools’ students
Re: Please Help Set Reasonable Target   [#permalink] 10 Mar 2012, 11:14