Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 12:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Please Help with Kellogg Question - Scott?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Please Help with Kellogg Question - Scott? [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2004, 14:53
3.You have been selected as a member of the Kellogg Admissions Committee. Please provide a brief evaluative assessment of your file. (Personal Evaluation)

For this question, I was wondering if I should bring up the fact that my academics is not stellar and ackowledge it.
Write something along the lines of...
XXXX graduated with a 3.0 GPA from CornellUniversity’s electrical engineering program. Although his GPA is lower than our mean, it is worth noting the difficulty of his self funded course of study and the fact that XXX's grades trended upward in his later years. XXX's 90th percentile GMAT (Math: 81%, Verbal: 81%) with his balanced score, certainly attest to the fact that he will be able to manage all aspects of our curriculum. Although his score is below the average mean GMAT score, historically tests have not been a reflection of his full potential and aptitude. For example, it is interesting to note that Amit scored highly in ENG114, ELEC211, ELEC593, etc., classes that demanded a combination of teamwork and individual work, showing that he will thrive in the Kellogg team-driven environment. His selection, while at Cornell University, for one of 50 prestigious Co-op positions among his 300 peers and later at Intel Corp. in the Marketing Leadership Program also speaks in volumes of his scholastic ability.

OR SHOULD I leave this for the last essay about I wish the admissions comittee had asked me...

"Do or do not, there is no try."
-Yoda

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Representative
Schools: Kellogg MBA 2004
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 209 [0], given: 50

[#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2004, 18:51
Expert's post
Think of this essay as what you truly hope an admissions officer will say when summing up your application. He would probably touch on the good and the bad in your app and then make his recommendation. Putting yourself in this hypothetical adcomm's shoes, you probably do want to mention your weaknesses in this essay (and not just leave it for the other one).

When I wrote this essay I did it last, making sure to only include in the essay things that I mentioned somewhere else in my app. Some applicants make the mistake of including in this essay details that are nowhere else in their apps. If you don't mention that you're dedicated to doing better in your coursework, for instance, then how would the evaluator know it?

BTW, I urge you to not focus on your weaknesses too much. Think about that hypothetical adcomm reading your app and then recommending you. He'd probably emphasize your strengths and mention your weaknesses only as much as he would need to, in order to wipe away any concerns. You should try to do the same in this essay.

Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep | GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | Co-author, Your MBA Game Plan

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
For a limited time, receive access to five Veritas Prep Computer Adaptive practice tests when you purchase a Veritas Prep GMAT book! Buy Now!
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2004, 22:00
I always thought your essays should not repeat themselves. So i was thinking of using this essay to introduce new ideas. Otherwise, wouldn't I be repeating myself??

For example, I talk about how I was Program Director for an club in college and talk about how it give back to the community the q2 of kellogg. Now mentioning that same experience here would be a problem right? Or no?

Also, if where else would I address my academic weakness....if not here? Do I use the last question 'I wish the admissions committee had asked me...' to address that question?

"Do or do not, there is no try."
-Yoda

Expert Post
Veritas Prep Representative
Schools: Kellogg MBA 2004
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 209 [0], given: 50

[#permalink] New post 14 Dec 2004, 06:23
Expert's post
I think that this essay is one of the few places where repeating info is okay. In fact, that's what they're asking you to do. They state the question in a creative way, but they could also have said "Please summarize your application and state why we should accept you in two pages." That's really what they're asking. So, don't start throwing in new details. If there's something that you think is important enough to mention in this essay, it should at least appear somewhere else.

You don't want to go into the same level of detail in this essay. For instance, in Q2 you want to talk about your Program DIrector role in a lot of detail. In this essay you just mention it and why it makes you a strong applicant, and then move on.

If you have a reasonable explanation for past academic weakness, definitely consider using that "I wish the committee had asked me..." question for that. Just make sure you're not only serving to highlight a weakness without convincing them why it will no longer be a problem.

Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep | GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | Co-author, Your MBA Game Plan

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
For a limited time, receive access to five Veritas Prep Computer Adaptive practice tests when you purchase a Veritas Prep GMAT book! Buy Now!
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews