Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Dec 2014, 22:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

please help with sentence correction

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 13

please help with sentence correction [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2013, 10:46
I have recently studied all the basic concepts of sc using Mgmat Sc guide.

Then i was performing well over practice sessions with good accuracy but as the time passed accuracy started to decrease and now a stage has come when i find it difficult to answer even a single question

I am also feeling that it is because over a course of time my mind has switched from applying rules to think what sounds better of all the answer choices. now its becoming very difficult to apply rules and get the answer correct.

Please let me know the best way by which i can again start scoring good at sc

pleaaase help

thanxx in advance
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Followers: 347

Kudos [?]: 2899 [1] , given: 709

Re: please help with sentence correction [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2013, 15:20
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
well it is known that after a bunch of rules studied the brain has a performance depletion, it is also natural.

I suggest you to study each concept related to SC once at time, doing practice in that area and after you mastered that area move on.

Moreover, doing this try to switch doing something else for instance Cr or quant. then come back to another content area, and so on..........

Give to your mind the time to metabolize the concepts

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS
Quant: 1. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 2. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 3. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version
Verbal:1. Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section 2. e-GMAT's ALL CR topics-Consolidated 3. New Critical Reasoning question bank by carcass 4. Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik 5. e-GMAT's ALL SC topics-Consolidated-2nd Edition 6. The best reading to improve Reading Comprehension 7.Verbal question bank and Directories

1 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 48

Kudos [?]: 469 [1] , given: 250

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: please help with sentence correction [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2013, 16:24
This post received
KUDOS
ayushalinagar wrote:

Then i was performing well over practice sessions with good accuracy but as the time passed accuracy started to decrease and now a stage has come when i find it difficult to answer even a single question

I am also feeling that it is because over a course of time my mind has switched from applying rules to think what sounds better of all the answer choices. now its becoming very difficult to apply rules and get the answer correct.

pleaaase help

thanxx in advance

Hi, pls do NOT approach SC with a rule book approach. As carcass mentioned the concepts take time to internalize and initially just do one concept at a time.
Doing entails go over your mgmt book again and then solve official OG and verbal supplement questions then review your answers [both correct and incorrect[, pls go through all answers choice [A TO E] (this will give you a firm grasp on which constructions are incorrect on the GMAT). This takes a looong time but you will definitely see your accuracy improve.

Additional resources you may use are Gmat club grammar bk, Thursdays with Ron video series [available on mgmt --free resources] and the verbal SC thread here has some excellent collection of practice questions .

P.S. - stay away from suspect sources such as 1000 sc, brutal sc etc and other unofficial sources (at least initially)

Gluck

How to CHOOSE your Business School
Thanks = Kudos. Kudos are appreciated

Rules for posting on the verbal forum
When you post a question Pls. Provide its source & TAG your questions
Avoid posting from unreliable sources such as 1000 series.

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Followers: 347

Kudos [?]: 2899 [2] , given: 709

Re: please help with sentence correction [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2013, 17:06
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
dentobizz wrote:
ayushalinagar wrote:

pleaaase help

thanxx in advance

Hi, pls do NOT approach SC with a rule book approach. As carcass mentioned the concepts take time to internalize and initially just do one concept at a time.
Doing entails go over your mgmt book again and then solve official OG and verbal supplement questions then review your answers [both correct and incorrect[, pls go through all answers choice [A TO E] (this will give you a firm grasp on which constructions are incorrect on the GMAT). This takes a looong time but you will definitely see your accuracy improve.

Additional resources you may use are Gmat club grammar bk, Thursdays with Ron video series [available on mgmt --free resources] and the verbal SC thread here has some excellent collection of practice questions .

P.S. - stay away from suspect sources such as 1000 sc, brutal sc etc and other unofficial sources (at least initially)

Gluck

here an amazing article that confirms what dentobizz said :)

http://letsgmat.blogspot.it/2013/01/gma ... eyond.html

and a video for you

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS
Quant: 1. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 2. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 3. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version
Verbal:1. Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section 2. e-GMAT's ALL CR topics-Consolidated 3. New Critical Reasoning question bank by carcass 4. Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik 5. e-GMAT's ALL SC topics-Consolidated-2nd Edition 6. The best reading to improve Reading Comprehension 7.Verbal question bank and Directories

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 13

Re: please help with sentence correction [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2013, 22:01
Thanxx to both of you.....

so i think the best remedy for me is to study one section of sc over a time and master it....

Also one thing i would like to mention that while practicing today i noticed that i am unable to do only difficult questions and there is no problem with easy ones.
So does the same approach applies again..

And thanxx ones again..

+1 kudos to both of you

Posted from my mobile device Image
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 48

Kudos [?]: 469 [1] , given: 250

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: please help with sentence correction [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2013, 07:38
This post received
KUDOS
ayushalinagar wrote:
Thanxx to both of you.....

And thanxx ones again..

+1 kudos to both of you

Posted from my mobile device Image

Thks but I don't find my kudos count increasing ;)

Quote:
Also one thing i would like to mention that while practicing today i noticed that i am unable to do only difficult questions and there is no problem with easy ones.
So does the same approach applies again..

Well the difficult questions in SC involve 2-3 concepts for elimination.It would be better to do easy questions with one concept , once you are done with those and feel confident then you can tackle the difficult ones involving multiple error types.
most common errors tested are-//m, modifiers, S-V agreement, comparisons, meaning and sentence structure

HTH

How to CHOOSE your Business School
Thanks = Kudos. Kudos are appreciated

Rules for posting on the verbal forum
When you post a question Pls. Provide its source & TAG your questions
Avoid posting from unreliable sources such as 1000 series.

Re: please help with sentence correction   [#permalink] 28 Jan 2013, 07:38