Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 16:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Please join me in welcoming ThinkISB to GMAT Club

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2325

Kudos [?]: 9454 [0], given: 3702

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Please join me in welcoming ThinkISB to GMAT Club [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2009, 02:21
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Dear GMAT Club Members,

I am excited to welcome ThinkISB, a premiere Admissions Consulting company specializing in the Indian School of Business Admissions (ISB), to GMAT Club Forums.
ISB is a very competitive program and I am glad to have ThinkISB consultants offering their help to address questions about admissions, profile evaluation, and ISB program in general. Another strength of ThinkISB, is that it was started by a group of ISB graduates who have gone through the admission and MBA process themselves.

You can learn more about ThinkISB here.

Please join me in welcoming ThinkISB to GMAT Club and do not hesitate to post your ISB questions in this or ISB 2010-2011 thread.

Best Regards,
BB - Founder of GMAT Club.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
WE 1: 5.5 yrs in IT
Followers: 64

Kudos [?]: 417 [0], given: 56

Re: Please join me in welcoming ThinkISB to GMAT Club [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2009, 02:43
Welcome thinkISB !!!!
I'm sure all the ISB aspirants would be benefited with your presence :)

ISB 2011-12 thread | Ask ISB Alumni @ ThinkISB
All information related to Indian candidates and B-schools | Indian B-schools accepting GMAT scores
Self evaluation for Why MBA?

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Please join me in welcoming ThinkISB to GMAT Club [#permalink] New post 22 Sep 2009, 07:39
welcome ThinkISB!!! great to have you to help us all out !
1 KUDOS received
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 24 [1] , given: 2

Greetings from ThinkISB [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2009, 21:24
This post received
KUDOS
Dear GMATClub Members,

It gives us immense pleasure to contribute to this forum and help ISB aspirants throughout their admission process. Please feel free to ask any question related to ISB, the application process, admission criteria, campus life, special initiatives and placements.

We would also be bringing out interesting events and happenings in the school from time to time.

Let us make it a thread with lively discussions!!!

ThinkAdmit

EMAIL: info@thinkadmit.com
PHONE: +91 7838998299

Read our blog | Ask ThinkAdmit
Follow us on Twitter | Follow us on Facebook

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 3

Re: Please join me in welcoming ThinkISB to GMAT Club [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2009, 18:23
Welcome ThinkISB! We are glad to have you here.
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 417 [1] , given: 56

Re: Please join me in welcoming ThinkISB to GMAT Club [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2009, 21:40
This post received
KUDOS
Let me take this opportunity of posting the first query on this thread related to ISB Interviews.

I read on various blogs that ISB generally gives a word - usually a abstract topic - to write a 100 word essay before starting the interview.

It would be great, if you could please give some insights on. My queries are:
1. What is the significance of this essay in the whole interview process
2. What are the expectations of AdCom from this essay.

All information related to Indian candidates and B-schools | Indian B-schools accepting GMAT scores

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 2

Re: Please join me in welcoming ThinkISB to GMAT Club [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2009, 03:37
The 100 word abstract essay serves the following purposes:

1. The adcom cross-checks the written communication ability of a candidate with the application essays. It also gives them a clear idea whether the candidate has written his essays himself/herself.

2. The adcom checks whether the candidate follows a structured, coherent thought process while penning down his opinions about a topic.

This is all there is to it.

ThinkISB
http://thinkisb.com/

ThinkAdmit

Last edited by thinkadmit on 23 Oct 2009, 23:39, edited 2 times in total.
Director
Director

Re: Please join me in welcoming ThinkISB to GMAT Club [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2009, 09:25
thinkISB wrote:
The 100 word abstract essay serves the following purposes:

1. The adcom cross-checks the written communication ability of a candidate with the application essays. It also gives them a clear idea whether the candidate has written his essays himself/herself.

2. The adcom checks whether the candidate follows a structured, coherent thought process while penning down his opinions about a topic.

This is all there is to it.

Hi thinkISB,
Thanks a lot for the quick reply on this. I was just wondering, what if the candidate doesn't have any idea on the word. An examples I can collect from web is the word "Fathom". Frankly speaking I don't have any idea on what this word mean.

So, by any chance do we have a life line, may be asking for a hint from the panel or calling up a friend :P
I guess I'm not asking too much.

Re: Please join me in welcoming ThinkISB to GMAT Club [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2009, 11:06
Dear bigoyal,

More often than not the adcom will choose topics that are easily comprehended. However, if you are not clear about a topic, you can always ask the panel for clarification.

ThinkISB

ThinkAdmit

Last edited by thinkadmit on 23 Oct 2009, 23:40, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 3

Re: Please join me in welcoming ThinkISB to GMAT Club [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2009, 11:47
Hi ThinkISB,

I have heard that college name matters a lot in getting admission in ISB. A person from IIT or any other top indian college gets advantage over another person with non IIT background.
Is it true?

Also, how much weightage does GMAT has over college name (If college name takes some weightage)?

Thanks.
Intern
Intern

Re: Please join me in welcoming ThinkISB to GMAT Club [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2009, 20:29
hi! its simply great to hv ISB veterans to help us out !
I have question around career options available after ISB. For someone who has spent 2-3 years in high tech industry and wanting to switch to consumer marketing is ISB a good option? Does the one year course help in specializing...?
2 KUDOS received

Kudos [?]: 24 [2] , given: 2

Re: Please join me in welcoming ThinkISB to GMAT Club [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2009, 00:21
This post received
KUDOS
@riteshbindal

The college name does matter to the adcom. But it is only one of the many sub-criteria to judge a candidate's academic performance and analytical skills. The GMAT score, high school and undergraduate GPAs all contribute to a candidate's Academic performance and analytical skills, again one of the several criteria to judge a candidate (the others being work experience, extra curricular activities and the like.) The weightage attached to these criteria by the adcom is based on what kind of profile a candidate has. A candidate with more number of years of work experience will have less weights attached to his academic performances in college.

Hence, even though an engineer from IIT can have a better objective score than a non-IIT engineer ( note that I'm comparing engineers only) the non-IIT engineer can offset that with a better GMAT score and some spikes in work experience and extra curricular activities.

@mnk

People go for MBAs to make career switches. It is definitely possible. If you are clear about what you want to achieve, ISB can make that happen. For that you are to make a work plan.
1. Get actively engaged in the marketing club at ISB.You will definitely have peers who would already be from that field. Network with them about your plan and through them get in touch with the people in that sector. The industry contact list would be the most important thing you need for this switch.

2. ISB provides for Experiential learning Programmes (ELP), Faculty Initiated Research Programmes (FIRP) and Independent Study Programmes (ISP). Make use of these to study your targeted domain.
3. Lastly gather a few peers who have similar interests and organize informal discussions among yourselves. Peer learning is one of the most important aspects at ISB that would help you immensely. No other B-School in India can provide the depth and breadth of diverse experiences that ISB can.

ThinkISB

ThinkAdmit

Last edited by thinkadmit on 23 Oct 2009, 23:41, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern

Re: Please join me in welcoming ThinkISB to GMAT Club [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2009, 08:49
great.. Thanks for your response..I will get in touch with ISB students soon

I will be visiting ISB and staying on campus for a couple of days in October.. Any suggestions on how/what I can do there to understand the school/students, network etc..???
1 KUDOS received

Kudos [?]: 24 [1] , given: 2

Re: Please join me in welcoming ThinkISB to GMAT Club [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2009, 10:59
This post received
KUDOS
Dear mnk,

1. Make it a point to sit in one of the classes. It will be a great experience to see world class faculty teaching.
2. Look it up in the ISB site about conferences/seminars on retail and plan your visit during that time.
3. Ask your contact at ISB beforehand to get you in touch with the marketing club and meet the people concerned.

Finally, ISB is a great place to chill out and enjoy as a guest. Make the most of the two days you have got there. :)

ThinkISB

ThinkAdmit

Last edited by thinkadmit on 23 Oct 2009, 23:41, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director

Re: Please join me in welcoming ThinkISB to GMAT Club [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2009, 01:16
thinkISB wrote:
Dear bigoyal,

More often than not the adcom will choose topics that are easily comprehended. However, if you are not clear about a topic, you can always ask the panel for clarification.

Thanks a lot thinkISB, that's a relief to me. :)

Intern
Intern

Re: Please join me in welcoming ThinkISB to GMAT Club [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2009, 04:02
great !! thanks so much !! will do that..
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 46

Re: Please join me in welcoming ThinkISB to GMAT Club [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2009, 07:16
thinkISB wrote:
Dear mnk,

1. Make it a point to sit in one of the classes. It will be a great experience to see world class faculty teaching.
2. Look it up in the ISB site about conferences/seminars on retail and plan your visit during that time.
3. Ask your contact at ISB beforehand to get you in touch with the marketing club and meet the people concerned.

Finally, ISB is a great place to chill out and enjoy as a guest. Make the most of the two days you have got there. :)

Hi Think ISB

Great having you here. I have collected some information regarding ISB & Entrepreneurship in ISB through my classmates (who are Alumni of or currently going to ISB).
1) I got information regarding PaEV program, netimpact club, Entrepreneurship club,Wadhwani Centre for Entrepreneurship Development and also about few graduates who chose this path

I am keen on Entrepreneurship in Social Sector. To be specific I am starting a company which will provide consulting to corporate/companies to achieve their social goals, network corporates and NGOs and also provide ground level services for their CSR goal/activities.

Do you have more information to justify my fit to ISB in these lines apart from the info i got from my friends
you help is much appreciated

Re: Please join me in welcoming ThinkISB to GMAT Club [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2009, 10:32
Dear ISBtarget,

You have infact pretty much covered most of the initiatives that you could take up @ ISB to attain your goal. You need to study the field and narrow down on a set of alternatives and gradually finalize a business model for your plan. The PaEV will then be an excellent opportunity to take the plan forward while at ISB. Your plan will go through industry experts and VCs, who will help you polish it more.

Involvements in the EVC club and the Net Impact club will always benefit you by aiding you to build a great nerwork.

The WCED with it's Entrepreneurship Development Initiative (started in 2009 itself) can be a great help for you while incubating your venture.

I've just told you what all you can do at ISB to start your venture. This is how ISB can fit into your career goal. For now you have to work on your plan further so that you have something concrete to show the adcom.
If you have something and are clear about how the ISB experience will help you, they will be impressed.

ThinkISB

ThinkAdmit

Last edited by thinkadmit on 23 Oct 2009, 23:42, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 46

Re: Please join me in welcoming ThinkISB to GMAT Club [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2009, 11:58
thinkISB wrote:
Dear ISBtarget,

You have infact pretty much covered most of the initiatives that you could take up @ ISB to attain your goal. You need to study the field and narrow down on a set of alternatives and gradually finalize a business model for your plan. The PaEV will then be an excellent opportunity to take the plan forward while at ISB. Your plan will go through industry experts and VCs, who will help you polish it more.

Involvements in the EVC club and the Net Impact club will always benefit you by aiding you to build a great nerwork.

The WCED with it's Entrepreneurship Development Initiative (started in 2009 itself) can be a great help for you while incubating your venture.

I've just told you what all you can do at ISB to start your venture. This is how ISB can fit into your career goal. For now you have to work on your plan further so that you have something concrete to show the adcom.
If you have something and are clear about how the ISB experience will help you, they will be impressed.

Team ThinkISB.

great insight... thank you
Director
Director
Schools: Harvard, Columbia, Stern, Booth, LSB,
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 396 [0], given: 241

Re: Please join me in welcoming ThinkISB to GMAT Club [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2009, 09:17
Hi ThinkISB

Its my pleasure to find you here for help. From past many days, i have been going through different posts but i couldn't get sufficient info regarding profile evaluation. Hope i can get feedback from you regarding my profile.

BSc- Agri (4 yr Program) through ICAR
PGPABM from one of Top Sectoral B-School
Consistently above average GPA
Currently pursuing CFA Level-2, cleared L-1 in 1st attempt.
Got 1.5 yrs Work Ex with a Leading Insurance Company (Junior Management Role)
Currently dealing in Equity Market.

I want your input regarding my chances of making into ISB considering 1.5 yrs work ex & 700-710 score.

Hope to hear from you soon.

If you like my Question/Explanation or the contribution, Kindly appreciate by pressing KUDOS.
Kudos always maximizes GMATCLUB worth
-Game Theory

If you have any question regarding my post, kindly pm me or else I won't be able to reply

Re: Please join me in welcoming ThinkISB to GMAT Club   [#permalink] 26 Oct 2009, 09:17