Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 10:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Please kind evaluate. Chinese, male, judoka, from insurance

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Please kind evaluate. Chinese, male, judoka, from insurance [#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2008, 21:26
deleted.

Last edited by judokan on 12 Apr 2008, 16:59, edited 1 time in total.
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 317 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
Re: Please kind evaluate. Chinese, male, judoka, from insurance [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2008, 08:45
Expert's post
judokan,

There is much about your profile that's impressive but you have some negatives that may hurt you at the schools you mentioned. One minor one is your age, which is starting to be old for U.S. schools. A much more significant negative is your career history, which shows too much moving around. You may be perceived as a "job-hopper," and will have to work hard to explain why you've had so many employers (they'll cut you some slack for switching jobs to get into finance, but even given that career change you seem to have moved quite a bit). Finally, your extracurricular/community leadership is not as strong as your professional impact. At the top schools you want to be able to show significant leadership and involvement outside of work as well.

So even assuming a 700 GMAT I think you overreaching at Wharton, Stanford, Chicago GSB, Kellogg, London, INSEAD, and Columbia, though you could try a couple of these as longshots. NYU Stern, MIT Sloan, Oxbridge, Haas, and UCLA are mor doable but may still be partial "reaches" for you given your negatives. Maybe also consider the following strong finance programs to mitigate your risk: Duke, Rochester, Texas.

Hope this helps,

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Please kind evaluate. Chinese, male, judoka, from insurance [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2008, 17:33
Hi Paul,

Thank you very much for your prompt reply.

Actually, all my job changes are based on strong reasons, i.e. career change, more responsibility, better companies, more pay (as much as 40% growth). And I hope my current Fortune 100 company can help people to understand my progression more.

I have a friend who is Yale SOM alumni. He worked in 4 companies in 4 years before doing his MBA. I hope I will be fine too.

May I have some further questions please:

(1) <Main question> How can I strengthen my profile? I am already in contact with some charity organization and hope I can find some leadership position (a bit hard for new entrant). Any other suggestion?

(2) Regarding schools, good to hear that you think Stern is doable, as Stern and Yale are my targets. How about my chance for Yale? MIT and Haas sounds good to me too.

I am surprised to know that entering LBS is harder than Oxbridge. In Hong Kong, the name of Oxbridge is VERY sexy.

For Duke, I know them because of their NCAA team but I don’t know much about their BS (sorry, I know very little about US BS at this moment :oops: ). Rochester and Texas are unknown to me (I guess the same case for most employers in HK, not sure the case in US though), so I doubt that I will send my application to them.

(3) I am seriously considering using the admission consulting service, but because the one with good reputation, like yours, although good value for the money, costs pretty much to me due to family burden. So, I need to evaluate my chance before committing to those services. If I can get GMAT730, and if I choose a professional consultant helping me to prepare my story, including eliminating the job hopper worry, will I have a reasonably good chance for entering (in priority) Yale, NYU Stern, MIT Sloan, Oxbridge or Hass? If yes, I will the ROI in consulting service will be good enough for me. Could you show me some light on this?

If you think any of the above is more appropriate to reply in PM, please feel free to do so.

Thank you very much.
Expert Post

GMAT Tests User
Re: Please kind evaluate. Chinese, male, judoka, from insurance [#permalink] New post 11 Apr 2008, 12:23
Expert's post
judokan,

1. Begin building networks at your target schools, lining up recommenders, and if you can get a extracurricular leadership role do so.
2. You should have a good chance at Yale.
3. Granting all your assumptions, then, yes, I would predict that one or more of your schools--Yale, NYU Stern, MIT Sloan, Oxbridge or Haas--would admit you. I'd be glad to discuss Accepted.com's various service plans with you at your convenience.

Good luck,

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Please kind evaluate. Chinese, male, judoka, from insurance [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2008, 07:01
Hi Paul,

Thanks for your reply again.

I feel energetic now. Let me use my full energy to prepare GMAT first. After I got the result, I hope we can discuss about the options.

I already e-mail a current student in Stern. We will talk on phone on Monday.

Thank you very much!
Expert Post

GMAT Tests User
Re: Please kind evaluate. Chinese, male, judoka, from insurance [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2008, 20:25
Expert's post