Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 08:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Please my second essay.. “Corporations should look to the ..

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: Q39 V29
GPA: 3.3
WE: Engineering (Consulting)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 7

Please my second essay.. “Corporations should look to the .. [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2012, 23:12
“Corporations should look to the city of Helios when seeking new business opportunities or a new location.
Even in the recent recession, Helios’s unemployment rate was lower than the regional average. It is the industrial
center of the region, and historically it has provided more than its share of the region’s manufacturing jobs. In
addition, Helios is attempting to expand its economic base by attracting companies that focus on research and
development of innovative technologies.”

Response :

The argument cites that corporations seeking new business opportunities or a new location should look to the Helios
city.The argument at a first glance appears to be plausible, convincing and legitimate. However, if you we carefully
observe the structure a number of flaws are evident that neither the argument nor its conclusion could be taken
into account seriously. The arguments key shortcomings include unsupported assumptions and lack of examples to support
the conclusion.

Firstly, the argument oversimplified the data regarding the unemployment rate. It assumed that the regional population
and the Helios city population are same and so that the Helios unemployment rate is comparable to that of the regional unemployment
rate.What if the regional population is very high than Helios city.

Secondly, the argument states that Helios provided more share in the region's manufacturing jobs. The argument
assumed that the manufacturing jobs are the only available jobs available in both Helios and the region. There is always a
potential chance for the other industries to exist in the region and these industries may dominate the share of Helios city.

Lastly, the argument also added that Helios attempt to attract the research and development of innovative technologies would
expand the the city's economic base. But there is no grantee that the policies framed accordingly could attract all the
research and development companies. Moreover the attempt if succeeded, the city could attract only manufacturing research and
development companies because of its highest share in the region but there is no guarantee that these companies alone would
increase the economic base of the city.

Overall, the argument in its current state consists of blatant flaws and hence is not convincing as it stands. The argument
should provide substantial support to its assumptions and few examples to support its conclusion.

Press +1 Kudos rather than saying thanks
which is more helpful infact..

Ill be posting good questions as many as I can...

Towards Success

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: Q39 V29
GPA: 3.3
WE: Engineering (Consulting)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 7

Re: Please my second essay.. “Corporations should look to the .. [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2012, 09:30
Can anyone please rate the above response which would be a lot helpful..
thanks in advance !!!!!

Press +1 Kudos rather than saying thanks
which is more helpful infact..

Ill be posting good questions as many as I can...

Towards Success

Re: Please my second essay.. “Corporations should look to the ..   [#permalink] 30 Jul 2012, 09:30