Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Oct 2014, 10:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

PLEASE PLEASE HELP GMAT 570 6 months studying. Desperate

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

PLEASE PLEASE HELP GMAT 570 6 months studying. Desperate [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2011, 19:42
I am in trouble.
I started studying for the GMAT in late February, 2011 and have since been putting in at least 30 to 40 hours per week of studying every month. That's nearly six months worth of hardcore studying and my results are so confusing and depressing, I come to the GMATclub forum as a measure of last resort. Please help, your advice is in dire need.

A long story short:
Started studying for the Gmat in Feb and scored like this:
Knewton 02/2011 Q29 V38 550
Knewton 02/2011 Q29 V27 470
GMAT Prep 03/2001 620 (Don't remember Q and V)
ManhattanG 03/2011 Q45 V31 620
ManhattanG 03/2011 Q42 V36 640 (two days before real exam)
Real GMAT 03/2011 540 Q I remember 25th percentile, don't remember V

This was a huge disappointment, I could not believe I scored that low, my self esteem was hammered through the floor and I paused my GMAT ambitions for about a month and then resumed.
I bought the whole Manhattan Gmat set of study materials books 1-8, all OG's(12th edition, purple and green) and went to work my way through all the quant material. I mean it, I nearly did every quant question there is in the 12th edition. It is unbelievable how much material the Gmat covers.
I focused little on the verbal as I felt pretty good about verbal and I saw my major weaknesses in quant.
After about three more months of studying almost nearly exclusively quant, I felt a lot stronger and resumed taking practice CAT's.

Here are the results:

ManhattanGMAT 07/11 Q45 V39 690
GMAT Prep 07/11 Q44 V40 690
ManhattanGMAT 07/11 Q46 V40 700 (first and only 700) (one day before actual exam)

Real Gmat today Q39 V29 570

What should I do? I am not a nervous test taker at all, at least I don't consider myself one. How can it be that the practice test scores and the real scores are so far away? What am I doing wrong? Has anybody had a similar experience?

About me:
24 years old and graduated from a top 40 college in the states with a bba in economics, minor finance. Math has never been my strong suit, I usually managed to get by somehow. I feel like this habitual weakness is proving a major obstacle.

Now the good news is that I have about two years until I intend to apply for business school, but now I am scared that I'd might not get any better even if I study for two more years..

What would you do? What should I do?

Thank you for your help!

Best,

felix
Knewton GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 27

Kudos [?]: 226 [1] , given: 13

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: PLEASE PLEASE HELP GMAT 570 6 months studying. Desperate [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2011, 22:08
This post received
KUDOS
Lets just start off by saying that Quant is easier than Verbal to improve on. With that said, V29 is not a strong verbal score. With two years of time, I think you can safely improve both your quant and verbal score and ultimately achieve a score no less than 720!

Have you made an error log? I guarantee that if I were to ask you to show your steps for the last 50 questions in OG12 Quant section, you'd get more than half of them wrong. I think your methodology is erroneous and it needs a major modification! If you have gone through each quant question and analyzed both correct and incorrect answers, and truly understand each question, I can't fathom why your quant score can't exceed 45!

You have worked hard as it seems for the past 6 months and its time you take a few weeks rest and bounce back to quant. You have to be fast when solving quant questions. Perhaps try gmatfix.com OG12 companion? They have 2-3 solutions / question. Make sure you truly understand the methods used to solve the questions.

Powerscore CR Bible Full Chapter Notes | Easily Extend Vocabulary List with Google Dictionary

Please kudo me if you found my post useful. Thanks!!! :)

Re: PLEASE PLEASE HELP GMAT 570 6 months studying. Desperate   [#permalink] 02 Aug 2011, 22:08